Hemi tick

Just got my XR last week I've done the break in the right way, yes its killing me not to get all the way into it lol
I've got almost 400 miles on it but just checking with you guys to see if anyone else has experienced the famous hemi tick, It happens just after start up only last for a short time ,
its in the owners manual on page 25

Attachments

• hemi tick.jpg
    hemi tick.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 908
  • jeep 392 by deer stand.png
    jeep 392 by deer stand.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 130
That owner I posted about had a continuous chirping sound. A brief “chirping” on cold startup seems almost inherent in the 6.4 and the 6.2. It’s been attributed to the exhaust / cat converters warming up / expanding. There’s a crap ton of posts about it on the TRX Forum and a few on this forum. My TRX did it and my 392 does it for the first 30-45 secs ….It’s different from a lifter tick sound.

Some guys hear the “chirping” way longer. Who knows if it’s poorly fitting exhaust component or some other cause??

That owner I posted about had a continuous chirping sound. A brief “chirping” on cold startup seems almost inherent in the 6.4 and the 6.2. It’s been attributed to the exhaust / cat converters warming up / expanding. There’s a crap ton of posts about it on the TRX Forum and a few on this forum. My TRX did it and my 392 does it for the first 30-45 secs ….It’s different from a lifter tick sound.

Some guys hear the “chirping” way longer. Who knows if it’s poorly fitting exhaust component or some other cause??
Yes, it’s weird that my 392 makes the sound at cold start until the engine rpm drops, then you accelerate the car and you hear the chirping again, stop and rev the engine in neutral, no sound… I need to convince my local dealership that it’s not normal to have such noise on acceleration.

Yes, it’s weird that my 392 makes the sound at cold start until the engine rpm drops, then you accelerate the car and you hear the chirping again, stop and rev the engine in neutral, no sound… I need to convince my local dealership that it’s not normal to have such noise on acceleration.
I hear ya. Mine has always gone away after 30-45 seconds and only happens on a cold start. Good luck getting it looked at / diagnosed. Keep us posted please.

It sounds very similar to the sound clip in this thread, https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hissing-squeal-when-driving.77944/
When it’s cold you can hear it under light acceleration. After the car warms up I can hear it under hard acceleration. Oh, of course this is when the performance exhaust is off. I’m having my local dealership look into it the upcoming Monday, hopefully they can find something…
I listened to the clip and heard something similar to that hissing noise under light to moderate acceleration. I had that on mine for a short time when I accidentally sucked up the floor drain plug with a vacuum. It is amazing how much that increased noise in the cabin, just that little hole. Kind of sounded cool under light load. For those wondering how could you suck up the plug with a vacuum.....the mopar mats have you remove the plug from the floor and put it in the mat and the mat is fitted to fill the floor hole. Replaced plug and noise gone.

Check your drain plugs in the floor boards.

I have noticed it is quieter with the Pennsludge vs Mobil 1.
Considering Pennzoil is made from a natural gas base and Mobil 1 from mineral oil, I do believe this makes a difference.
The tick being significantly reduced afetr that oil change, has me convinced.

Considering Pennzoil is made from a natural gas base and Mobil 1 from mineral oil, I do believe this makes a difference.
I think the Pennzoil is the recommended oil to be used.

See attached video, interesting potential solution. Although I would bet a case could be made for not honoring the warranty with the different viscosity.

I think the Pennzoil is the recommended oil to be used.
It is.
After the dealer did my change, I noticed the sound difference and started to think, maybe the motor just works better with that oil formula. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Pressure and temps are the same. Just less noise.

It is.
After the dealer did my change, I noticed the sound difference and started to think, maybe the motor just works better with that oil formula. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Pressure and temps are the same. Just less noise.
0W-40 correct?

Best deal I could find. $85.49 for a 12 pack using code ok10. Check pennzoil for rebates. Got a $10 Shell card for a few minutes of filling out rebate forms.

Well got the 392 back with no findings of course. I rode with two of their techs, they both heard the sound I described, told me that they put it on the lifter checked the exhaust, all bolts are tight, no cracks no holes. One of the tech said it’s the normal sound from those active exhaust systems, which I don’t buy. Am I being too picky? Is that hissing like sound under acceleration a normal thing for those 392 powertrains? I’m a little confused.

Well got the 392 back with no findings of course. I rode with two of their techs, they both heard the sound I described, told me that they put it on the lifter checked the exhaust, all bolts are tight, no cracks no holes. One of the tech said it’s the normal sound from those active exhaust systems, which I don’t buy. Am I being too picky? Is that hissing like sound under acceleration a normal thing for those 392 powertrains? I’m a little confused.
Did you check the drain plugs in the floorboards?

Finally climbed underneath and looked at the exhaust, what I found is a spherical joint installed unevenly, this is on passenger side after converter. Not sure if this is related to the noise and needs to be corrected, the two bolts are tight though.

Attachments

• E758335D-FD85-40EC-BCE2-DC1C66682B9D.jpeg
    E758335D-FD85-40EC-BCE2-DC1C66682B9D.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 34
Finally climbed underneath and looked at the exhaust, what I found is a spherical joint installed unevenly, this is on passenger side after converter. Not sure if this is related to the noise and needs to be corrected, the two bolts are tight though.
If you're worried, loosen the 2 bolts and retighten evenly

7% off 2024 Jeep Wrangler 392 Granger Motors Just Bolt Ons.com MARK CDJR in Lake Charles Louisiana Underground Graphics

Latest Discussions

Back