Hemi tick

Just got my XR last week I've done the break in the right way, yes its killing me not to get all the way into it lol
I've got almost 400 miles on it but just checking with you guys to see if anyone else has experienced the famous hemi tick, It happens just after start up only last for a short time ,
its in the owners manual on page 25

Attachments

• hemi tick.jpg
    hemi tick.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 904
  • jeep 392 by deer stand.png
    jeep 392 by deer stand.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 129
Yep
Perfectly normal

It is normal. 392 engines do have lifter failures and a ticking noise is an indication it is imminent. Tick at start up is normal. Ticking while warm could be an issue IIRC as it could be lifters..

Not exactly accurate.
It’s the lifter roller tapping the cam lobe. Dirty oil or infrequent oil changes can certainly make it worse, getting louder, etc., which could then lead to failure.
It “goes away” slightly once the oil is flowing. However, it’s still present.
But whether the noise is temporary or constant, isn’t the indicator of imminent failure.

Generally, a shit design.
There was a lawsuit filed in December relative to the Hemi tick. Not sure where it is currently.

Guess I’m not normal 😬 no ticking from my beast. Maybe it’s because I park it in the 2nd bedroom and it sleeps at 68 degrees.

No tick here either. I have the exhaust squeak when cold, but then the thing purrs like a kitten. Perfect valvetrain noise. No isolated 1 cylinder louder than the others tick. My wife had a lexus rx300 that had a tick that was fine until it dropped a valve. 🤮 Thank goodness for extended warranty.

The hemi tick I have seen on youtube is due to insufficient cam lubrication at low engine rpm as it is splash lubricated. Supposedly avoiding prolonged idling can help prevent this. I thought this precaution sounded reasonable, so I rev the engine every couple minutes while idling or put tazer into winch mode and raise idle to 1300 rpm. Don't know if that helps, but easy precaution.

My 392 has the cold start noise, but it sounds more like exhaust not ticking. What worries me it’s the noise I hear under acceleration, do any of you hear a noise under hard acceleration?

I can't hear anything aside from the money flying out of my purse at full throttle. ;) What is the noise you are hearing?

What I find strange is the HEMI on my Ram never ticked nor was addressing it as "normal" in the manual. Can't tell you how much that tick bugs me. I hate boasting about it and then starting it the engine ...tick tick tick.

My 392 has the cold start noise, but it sounds more like exhaust not ticking. What worries me it’s the noise I hear under acceleration, do any of you hear a noise under hard acceleration?
I had a weird rattle under moderately hard acceleration, but it was coming from rear of vehicle. Thought is was some stuff I had in cargo area under mat, but it went away before I could get it figured out. Concern for catastrophic engine failure or some MDS related lifter failure is what keeps me from modifying engine. I don't want a bunch of out of pocket expenses if something goes boom.

I can't hear anything aside from the money flying out of my purse at full throttle. ;) What is the noise you are hearing?

What I find strange is the HEMI on my Ram never ticked nor was addressing it as "normal" in the manual. Can't tell you how much that tick bugs me. I hate boasting about it and then starting it the engine ...tick tick tick.
Agree, mechanical noises like that are never a good sign, no matter what the manual says.

• Haha
Reactions: @JC

It sounds very similar to the sound clip in this thread, https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hissing-squeal-when-driving.77944/
When it’s cold you can hear it under light acceleration. After the car warms up I can hear it under hard acceleration. Oh, of course this is when the performance exhaust is off. I’m having my local dealership look into it the upcoming Monday, hopefully they can find something…

It sounds very similar to the sound clip in this thread, https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hissing-squeal-when-driving.77944/
When it’s cold you can hear it under light acceleration. After the car warms up I can hear it under hard acceleration. Oh, of course this is when the performance exhaust is off. I’m having my local dealership look into it the upcoming Monday, hopefully they can find something…
Can't hear anything in that clip except wind noise.

That’s also my assumption at this point, but it’s really hard to believe a new car has exhaust since day two.

Only hear mine on start up and only last for 30 sec or so here is a video

Last edited:
That’s also my assumption at this point, but it’s really hard to believe a new car has exhaust since day two.
Not really…. They’re mass produced. There was a similar sound on an exhaust on the TRX forum (new truck) and it ended up being a cracked exhaust flange. The poster couldn’t see it until they pulled the exhaust off.

Attachments

• FFC9C10B-C345-431B-B11E-E772AEB13E91.png
    FFC9C10B-C345-431B-B11E-E772AEB13E91.png
    325.4 KB · Views: 35
Back