Help me pick, down to these 4 tires...

5h4g

Reaction score
Current Rides
Two 392'2
Ride; 392 XR, stock XR wheels, stock XR suspension, 1.75+ spidertrax spacers.
Size 37x12.5x17 ...

Wasn't able to find tire weights between these two, and I'm wondering for the price difference if I should look at the Toyo R/T vs. A/T.
Mostly driven on street with heavy foot, and light trails in Houston, so snow isn't an issue, but wet driving is. See pic on the four I'm looking at.

Mickey BB
Toyo Open Country A/T & R/T variants.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 5.37.43 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 5.37.43 PM.png
    250.9 KB · Views: 225
Can't speak for the others, but I drive mine similarly in Florida and the 37" Baja Boss MT has been great me. Look great, not too loud, nice ride on road. More than capable for anything off road that I'll do. I'd buy them again for sure.

I have rin the following over 8 years:

Goodyear Duratracs
Toyo MT
BFG KO2
Nitto Ridge Grappler
Baja Boss AT
KO2 again (oem on the 392)

My favorite tire by far has been the Baja Boss AT. I do wheel my Jeep a lot on all kinds of terrain. The Baja Boss was the best all around tire and will only run those on my Jeep going forward.

I ran Duratracs on an old Land Cruiser and found them scary in the snow. On the street, they were fine for the most part but didn’t care for them too much. I’ve also had the original Toyo R/T on that Land Cruiser before and liked them. Didn’t bring them to the snow too much but it was fine on the street in the rain. Overall, they were good tires for my needs.

I currently have the Toyo AT III on my 4Runner TRD Pro and they have been a champ in snow, wet, off-road and anything I’ve encountered. I have 25k miles on them and probably going to sell them and get a fresh set soon when I get something for the 392.

I’ve always been a big fan of the Toyo’s as my driving is mostly street like you and they’re fairly quiet and comfortable. I’m most likely going to get Toyo R/T Trails for the 392 in 37’s and the only planned off-roading I’ll be doing in Austin is farm fields for hog hunting and maybe check out Hidden Falls Adventure about an hour West of the city one of these days. But for me, I trust my past experience with Toyo and I like how the R/T Trails look.

I‘ve run the A/T III’s and recommend them highly. You couldn’t go wrong with any of you choices but the A/T III’s will be much better suited driving the Houston highways than R/T’s.

Another point to consider is the load range of each tire, try to stay away from "E" rated tires, they will be really rough-stiff riding.

Another point to consider is the load range of each tire, try to stay away from "E" rated tires, they will be really rough-stiff riding.
Very few choices of 37’s that aren’t Load E. I actually can only think of Nitto’s.

Tiresize.com...select size then Load Rating filter...
Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 22.57.20.png

Interesting website. Seems limited on what they put on there as I was checking a few sizes from different brands and they weren’t there.

Interesting website. Seems limited on what they put on there as I was checking a few sizes from different brands and they weren’t there.
I like the format they have, and the ability to search by Load Range which also will determine the weight of the tire...actually I thought they were quite inclusive of all tires available...didn't realize they were leaving out some brands...? Another option is to select Alternate Sizes as well, it brings up many more options of similar size or like sized tires available then select Load Range Filter again...
1684672000140.png

Last edited:
Size 37x12.5x17 ...

Wasn't able to find tire weights between these two, and I'm wondering for the price difference if I should look at the Toyo R/T vs. A/T.
Mostly driven on street with heavy foot, and light trails in Houston, so snow isn't an issue, but wet driving is. See pic on the four I'm looking at.

Mickey BB

Thanks!
I would definitely go with the lightest and the highest speed rated tire...

If you’re driving in wet conditions regularly, most A/T designs will be good.
Siping is your friend with wet roads or snowy roads.
M/T tires suck for wet or snow.
It’s all about the sipes.

That is the standard option in our world but I have LR E on my 392 and it rides great.

Agreed.
I’ve run D & E range.
If you want D range though, you’ll be looking at metric sizes.
There are a few d range in SAE, just not as many options.

I was a Toyo fanboy for a long time, switched to Mickey's on my 392 and have been really impressed. The Toyo's I had on my 4XE got super noisy and I was honestly disappointed.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm just noticing the section width on the mickeys is more than 2" less than the Toyos. Wow.
I'm leaning AT's or Mickeys, based on feedback above. The A/T's are a chunk less money than the other 3 options, too. But I still want the best tire I can get. Hrrrrrmm.

With smaller section width I wonder if I can run the Mickeys without the 1.75" spidertrax spacers without rubbing on any suspension. That would be my preference if so.

I know it’s not on your list. Huge fan of BFG A/T KO2s. I’ve been running them on road and Off-road for years. They last a long time, have great road manner, quiet, and handle the crappy conditions.

Whatever you choose, make sure to rotate ~2500 or below for the first 20k. It helps big time with the longevity of meaty tires.

Cheers!

Wish I would have known/some this on my XR 35's, ha! Ty for the advice!

I have a set of Toyo r/t trails on order. Gonna be August till arrival.(maybe) I’m a Toyo guy thick and thin. MT are the best imo but I’m gonna try the R/T trails For better road manners. The problem is, there’s a National back order wth no ETA. If they don’t come in by August, I will be ordering MTs. If I get really desperate, it’ll be NTito’s. I live in Colorado, and I am usually on a Trail. Or headed to work. Haha

Size 37x12.5x17 ...

Mickey BB

Thanks!
i totally love my Falken Wildpeak RT tires. i cant say 1 thing i dont like. mud, snow, rocks, street. perfect

Back