Help, Can't Decide Color!

Uncommon Sense

Reaction score
Current Rides
Sting Gray 392XR
Been lurking for awhile and decided to pull the trigger on my 392 w/ XR. However, the biggest issue causing me to lose sleep is the color choice.

Hydroblue: The color just pops. Looks great in pictures but sometimes I can't tell if it is too bright for my liking. Color seems to change from darker to light. I am also concerned about it attracting too much attention. I am hoping to have the 392 at least 10 years or maybe longer and I wonder if the color will age well. I'm an older guy (pushing 50), kids, wife... dunno, color just seems too youthful / playful for a boring old suburban guy such as myself.

White: It is white. Pretty boring all though I like the sleeper look. I have a white JGC High Altitude with black accents and it looks great.

Grey: Sting grey is looks great. But much like white, it is just grey at the end of the day. Not very exciting, but definitely an aggressive color with the bigger wheels, etc. I think it might age the best and still more of a sleeper although not as bad as white.

thoughts?

I let my daughter (possibly relevant detail: she is 7) pick the color. She narrowed it down to white and silver. White because it's cool and silver because Tej had a silver Gladiator in F9; I couldn't argue with her logic. Then Jeep discontinued silver on the 392 which made the choice for us.

Plus, I like the look of the black matte grille on white with the sky top (borrowed from here).

d1c4d95a-e382-48bf-b6eb-e6bab27ede5f-jpeg.984

I'll also add the UG hood graphics and UG side vent graphics which I think will look good on white.

DB6C17C3-60E0-4454-8493-2F7D381F996A_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Last edited:
Been lurking for awhile and decided to pull the trigger on my 392 w/ XR. However, the biggest issue causing me to lose sleep is the color choice.

Hydroblue: The color just pops. Looks great in pictures but sometimes I can't tell if it is too bright for my liking. Color seems to change from darker to light. I am also concerned about it attracting too much attention. I am hoping to have the 392 at least 10 years or maybe longer and I wonder if the color will age well. I'm an older guy (pushing 50), kids, wife... dunno, color just seems too youthful / playful for a boring old suburban guy such as myself.

White: It is white. Pretty boring all though I like the sleeper look. I have a white JGC High Altitude with black accents and it looks great.

Grey: Sting grey is looks great. But much like white, it is just grey at the end of the day. Not very exciting, but definitely an aggressive color with the bigger wheels, etc. I think it might age the best and still more of a sleeper although not as bad as white.

thoughts?
Ah... color struggles, most of us have them! Black is my favorite color, but I went with white on my 392. I have had 4 Dodge RAMs over the last 20 years, every one black. I bought a new 2009 Challenger SRT8 in Black. I also like yellow and purchased a new 2002 Jeep Wrangler in Yellow that I kept until 2014. Then in 2018 I bought a used 2015 2-door JK Willys Edition in White. I really liked it because I felt like it stood out with all the black trim and raised white letter BFGs.

I think the black 392s are beautiful. I like the blues, greys, snazzberry, and sarge green. But still struggled with getting black vs. another color. I went with white because I am going to off-road and from my experience with my white JK, it is so much easier to keep white looking good over the long haul. Every tiny defect pops in Black. Not so in white. And if you put the right black accents on white it really pops (at least to me). I am also thinking about having my hardtop painted black. What ever color you choose you are going to be happy with it!

Attachments

• garaged392.png
    garaged392.png
    2 MB · Views: 228
  • Last Dollar Road2.png
    Last Dollar Road2.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 224
  • Without Top.png
    Without Top.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 221
  • With Best Top.png
    With Best Top.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 221
  • Two Jeeps.png
    Two Jeeps.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 228
Same boat. Torn between Black (which when clean can't be beat IMHO, but 'ya can't keep'er clean!!!) White - for ALL of those reasons mentioned about.

So, like a swatch of paint, I compromised and mixed both. Grey!

Welcome to the forum @Uncommon Sense - Picking the color is always the most difficult decision for me! I'm a huge fan of the Sting Grey color.

I may be in the minority...knowing I couldn't go wrong with any of the color choices, I asked my wife. It took her 30 seconds to say Sarge Green. I do not regret it one bit.

I may be in the minority...knowing I couldn't go wrong with any of the color choices, I asked my wife. It took her 30 seconds to say Sarge Green. I do not regret it one bit.
I like the Sarge green. I know this makes zero sense, but I just have some issue with army green since I am not a vet.... makes me feel like an imposter.

I am starting to lean towards to the Sting Grey. Seems to be a safe choice.
Same boat. Torn between Black (which when clean can't be beat IMHO, but 'ya can't keep'er clean!!!) White - for ALL of those reasons mentioned about.

So, like a swatch of paint, I compromised and mixed both. Grey!

Yeah, I am starting to lean towards Sting Grey. It looks good and seems to be a safe choice. Kind of aggressive but still blends in a bit. It is also flexible if I want to change interior colors or wheels color.

The blue looks great, but I don't think I want the attention it might draw. It just screams look at me and not something I want to do being in Chicago with 392s being a favorite target of car jackers / thieves.

I need to tell my sales guy this evening.

Cool! A preemptive Congrats!
Now, you can look forward to a nice, loooo-ooong wait! :D

thoughts?
white

I prefer Jeep’s Billet Silver. It's a neutral color with a lot of depth; doesn’t attract much attention, and it hides dust and dirt better than most colors. Sting Gray would have been my second choice.
tempImageP0vIK6.png

So...this is a two part answer. I went with granite crystal. That being said, I would have went with black and then the xpel stealth. I know this has been discussed in another post, but that looks totally awesome - imho.

After spending hours looking at videos and images, I chose Sting Gray. I feel like it looks aggressive, but still subtle enough to blend in.

Reactions: cgr
So...this is a two part answer. I went with granite crystal. That being said, I would have went with black and then the xpel stealth. I know this has been discussed in another post, but that looks totally awesome - imho.
I like granite silver. It's a color that ages well, that is, you won't get tired of it. I believe the dash is granite silver as well, so that's a plus. Living in Florida close to the ocean I tend to stay away from dark colors, because of the heat and because of the salty sludge that coats your vehicle's paint, especially with on-shore breezes. Lighter colors tend to hide the sludge better.

Reactions: cgr
Only question I have now is... black grill or body color grill?

Depends on color for some people but I like the body colored grill. The lighter colors will show the black grill much better. I have an order in for granite with body colored grill.

Old thread I know but I couldn't resist Firecracker Red. My very first BMX bike was red and black and I have never been able to get that out of my system.

Attachments

• Jeep.jpeg
    Jeep.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 87
I chose the black grill for my Jeep because the color goes through the entire grill so rock chips won't be as noticeable when they occur. Wasn't sure if the body-colored grill would be fiberglass or painted metal when I ordered the Jeep so I errored on the side of caution because I was thinking that either one would show stone chips fairly easily.

I chose the black grill for my Jeep because the color goes through the entire grill so rock chips won't be as noticeable when they occur. Wasn't sure if the body-colored grill would be fiberglass or painted metal when I ordered the Jeep so I errored on the side of caution because I was thinking that either one would show stone chips fairly easily.
Exactly why I chose the Satin Black Grill.

I went with Firecracker and color matching grill. It’s always super easy to switch from color matching to black but not the other way around :)

Back