Headliner Install

Jeepstin392

Jeep 392 of the Month
Reaction score
Current Rides
2017 Jeep GC SRT, 2021 Jeep Wrangler 392, 2023 Tesla, Model Y Performance, 2021 BMW M340i XDrive, 2018 Mini Cooper S "7"
I installed the cover king headliner today. I chose black, to match the interior.

I haven’t driven it yet. I will and do a comment later with the stock exhaust and Borla ATAK. Both, with performance on and off.

Why did I install this? Some insulation, some aesthetics. I understand the sound system is better with headliners as well.

I chose Cover King. Mostly because it has the full coverage.
scored a sale at $300, vs. the usual $400.

Initial Feedback
Pros:
Aesthetics
price
heavy synthetic, quilt like material.
Die cut and formed
easy to figure out where everything is applied
They do provide die cut adhesive, trim, tools (screwdriver, 2 torx tools and an Allen wrench, which you won’t need).
Installation of the fabric to the freedom panels is really easy.

*I hope to add to the pros with a test drive and seeking a noticeable difference in sound. In time, I will report on the temperature as it should be better as well.

Cons:
wrinkled upon opening difficult to remove wrinkles
Die cut adhesive is a bit of a pain to manage (sticky… surprise!)
Adhesive strips are not indexed (you can figure it out though)
Lacking instructions (go to YouTube and the Cover King website)
Fitment is about as good as it is going to get.
Adhesive isn’t “sticking” as good as it should
Wish they included more adhesive (perhaps a liquid)
Installing of the fabric to the rest requires some finesse
I had to cut more material around some of the trim pieces, simply due to not fully seating

General Feedback and tips:
The color isn’t exact, but it’s close and looks good.
Unpacking - allow the wrinkles to dissipate prior to installation.
You will need to remove the top to install everything.
Have a place to rest the tops where it won’t get damaged. I used the garage floor and foam pads.
Remove the front panel locking levers.
Remove the rear window (4 bolts, struts, wiring and hose)
The panels are snug once reinstalled which I prefer.
I didn’t take photos as Cover King has a pretty solid collection and better than what I can provide.
The product and Instructions won’t be found on their web site under the search for Jeep JL 392. I included the link below. I had to look around a bit to find their resources.

Last edited:
I picked one up for ours, when it came to sanding the roof to install I bailed out on it.. our JKU came with the factory setup and it’s great, our 2023 has it in the order.. the 2022 we bought came without it.. I miss the headliner..
Did you feel the headliner made that much of a difference?
Always wanted it on my last JK, but never bought/installed it.

In general I wonder about the various thicknesses of the different products for this purpose. I too really like the full coverage of this one, I don't think I've come across this product before.

I've seen some really impressive youtube videos about the hothead headliners, so I always thought when it came time, I'd use those. Those are only "just" panels, but they're pretty dang thick! I would love to see both side by side, but I doubt that'll ever happen. Will be interested to hear what you think once you've had it for a few weeks! (y)

In general I wonder about the various thicknesses of the different products for this purpose. I too really like the full coverage of this one, I don't think I've come across this product before.

I've seen some really impressive youtube videos about the hothead headliners, so I always thought when it came time, I'd use those. Those are only "just" panels, but they're pretty dang thick! I would love to see both side by side, but I doubt that'll ever happen. Will be interested to hear what you think once you've had it for a few weeks! (y)
This headliner is about 4mm thick. It’s similar material to auto carpet.

Reactions: dog
Absolutely headliners are great, more comfortable for noise and temperatures. I like the route you took covering the entire top.
I like using a sun shade with the hard top, another layer of sound deading .
On another JK I puts some insulate pads between the top and the sun shade.. that worked great...
I did notice a reduction in heat radiating from the soft top with the Sun shade in place.

I was wondering about a 2 part resin that can be applied and would expand slightly to insulate.
If this headliner doesn’t work, I’ll be looking at alternatives.

I like this headliner as it is full coverage, the stock white interior looks cheap to me.

On my LJ I painted the interior of the hard top black before installing Hot Heads headliner. Looks and performs great.

My hardtop has been off for several months, not sure which of above options I will go with.

Headliner installed. Here’s my quick hit thoughts.

I should have done that mod on the JK.
It’s quieter, better radio sound, better temp control, improved aesthetics. Not that each of these are my preference. My primary was the temp control and aesthetics. I can say, I run the performance exhaust on 100% of the time. And, I have a hearing deficit anyway. So, with the headliner on, I can hear the exhaust, but it’s definitely quieter. Notice Le, but not a significant reduction. I have not done any sound measurement. I’ll report back once I get the Borla ATAK installed.

Headliner installed. Here’s my quick hit thoughts.

I should have done that mod on the JK.
It’s quieter, better radio sound, better temp control, improved aesthetics. Not that each of these are my preference. My primary was the temp control and aesthetics. I can say, I run the performance exhaust on 100% of the time. And, I have a hearing deficit anyway. So, with the headliner on, I can hear the exhaust, but it’s definitely quieter. Notice Le, but not a significant reduction. I have not done any sound measurement. I’ll report back once I get the Borla ATAK installed.
Thanks for the update. I see above you paid $300, its listed for $440 now.

Thanks for the update. I see above you paid $300, its listed for $440 now.
Yeah… Q-Tec had it on sale. I don’t prefer them, but as they say in prison, $100 is a $100.

Checking in
Its been about a month.
Here’s some thoughts and feedback.

I regret not doing this on the last Jeep (2012 JKUR). Sound is reduced, but I like the 392 burble and gurgle. Have Borla arriving today to fix this issue. 🤓

My primary goal, aesthetics and temperature.
forst, the good. Temperature. Notice Le difference in the cold temps. That slight feel of cold air dropping off the roof is gone. Overall cabin is more comfortable. The coldest I’ve been in yet, was 12°, and it was a considerable difference.

Secondary, aesthetics. Looks better than the white. If I had my absolute choice, I would start researching a black, expandable foam, that would have good aesthetics. Why? The tape they provide sucks. Aside from spray adhesive the entire roof and panels, I don’t think you’ll get away with a perfect attachment with the tape. The panels are good. The roof portion, I’ve seen it sagging already in a few spots and pulling away from the window trim. A quick press, and they’re good for about 2-3 days, then you see the lacking of the adhesive again. This is really my only complaint.

I won’t run the hard top in summer, however, next summer, it may be a necessity as I will be putting everything in storage, and traveling the country, and others, looking for a new home.
Im curios of two things for the summer. I’ll learn of just 1.
1. How well does the tape hold up over storage.
2. how well does it help with heat and AC.

7% off 2024 Jeep Wrangler 392 Granger Motors Just Bolt Ons.com MARK CDJR in Lake Charles Louisiana Underground Graphics

Latest Discussions

Back