Getting to Guinea Pig the Gorilla Glass Repair/Replacement Warranty...

SecurityChris

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
2021 JLU 392 / 2021 WL
Took a hard hit on the highway last week, immediately cracked and is continuing to spread even without extreme temp changes. The glass is covered by a two year warranty by Mopar so the dealership took pictures to send in today and will call me back once they hear back. They haven't had to deal with this so no one on staff is sure of the repair process lol. I think the most annoying thing was this glass is what delayed my build for a while, and I only had the Jeep 21 days when it cracked... my kind of luck.

Anyone gone through this process yet?

Crack.jpg

I got hit with a rock on the highway a few weeks ago. It left a good mark (right in the driver's line of site), but it has not fully cracked yet. I'm sure once the weather changes it will spread. I'd love to hear how this process goes for you so I can know what to expect with my dealer. :)

@tjohnson will do, so far the first step was I had to be the one to tell the service department there's a 2 year Mopar warranty on Gorilla Glass :ROFLMAO: it's a first for all of them.

@YukonCornelius that Gorilla is the reason I don't want to put my TX registration sticker on yet lol

@tjohnson just updating you for when it's your turn:
-Dealer took the photos Monday afternoon
-Jeep approved the replacement this morning no hassle (Friday)
-New windshield is ordered, service is hoping to see it by next Wednesday (we'll see lol - Unless I get to line jump because it's warranty work, there's a customer at that dealership who has a regular windshield and ordered Gorilla Glass after the fact that's been waiting a few months.)

Thanks for the update. I'll post my results at my dealer once I am able to go in.

Thanks for the update. I'll post my results at my dealer once I am able to go in.
Just an update, might be worth your while to go in sooner than later if you haven't, I knew my service guy was over confident on the shipping time. I'm still waiting for glass, just watching the crack grow and grow

Just an update, might be worth your while to go in sooner than later if you haven't, I knew my service guy was over confident on the shipping time. I'm still waiting for glass, just watching the crack grow and grow
I placed my build order before gorilla glass option was added. I've had my 392 for 4 months. My regular windshield has numerous chips after 5,700 miles on it. Then 2 weeks ago finally got a hit that left a 6 inch crack which is quickly growing. I placed order for gorilla glass replacement the day after. So the windshield came in 3 days ago. I thought it was very fast. The windshield tech called today and said it's not the correct windshield, it's not compatible with the warning system sensor. Do you know if yours had a special part number? My dealer says they can only find 1 part number.
Thanks for info you can pass.
Also, a friend of mine says he thinks my windshield, for the amount of chips it accumulated after only 5,700 miles, that is rocks being thrown up and forward from the front tires since there's no full bumper or guard in front. Any thoughts?

a friend of mine says he thinks my windshield, for the amount of chips it accumulated after only 5,700 miles, that is rocks being thrown up and forward from the front tires since there's no full bumper or guard in front. Any thoughts?
What tires/wheels do you have? Could be an important data point if you have a wider stance.

I placed my build order before gorilla glass option was added. I've had my 392 for 4 months. My regular windshield has numerous chips after 5,700 miles on it. Then 2 weeks ago finally got a hit that left a 6 inch crack which is quickly growing. I placed order for gorilla glass replacement the day after. So the windshield came in 3 days ago. I thought it was very fast. The windshield tech called today and said it's not the correct windshield, it's not compatible with the warning system sensor. Do you know if yours had a special part number? My dealer says they can only find 1 part number.
Thanks for info you can pass.
Also, a friend of mine says he thinks my windshield, for the amount of chips it accumulated after only 5,700 miles, that is rocks being thrown up and forward from the front tires since there's no full bumper or guard in front. Any thoughts?
Sorry for the delay, been hectic with school and work, this is the part number off the glass P68522633AB. As for the amount of chips, I ran my JK for 14 years with minimal flare coverage, a mid width bumper, and a wide stance w/ 3 inch lift. It didn’t really see any extra rocks or chipping, it’s most likely just the nature of the beast with how hard of an angle the wrangler windshields are compared to other cars. I went through about 4 or 5 windshields over that span which is why they’re pushing GG so hard but can’t even keep up production lol. But that’s just my two cents and I’m sure there are people smarter than me with some hard science on here who could contribute more.

Sorry for the delay, been hectic with school and work, this is the part number off the glass P68522633AB. As for the amount of chips, I ran my JK for 14 years with minimal flare coverage, a mid width bumper, and a wide stance w/ 3 inch lift. It didn’t really see any extra rocks or chipping, it’s most likely just the nature of the beast with how hard of an angle the wrangler windshields are compared to other cars. I went through about 4 or 5 windshields over that span which is why they’re pushing GG so hard but can’t even keep up production lol. But that’s just my two cents and I’m sure there are people smarter than me with some hard science on here who could contribute more.
Yeah it's strange to me. My previous Wrangler was Sahara JL driven 3 years didn't have any chips or cracks. Same angle as this rubicon windshield, it's just higher up and no full front bumper like the Sahara has. So I wonder is it really something to think about that rocks may be flying forward and up then the windshield catch it. I have had small rocks hit and I'm the only one on the road. Just didn't realize they may be causing chips all over the windshield. But then again, may be from traffic too.

2E808B4F-0E9E-4ADD-9E26-11C9D2308623.jpeg
Finally received and installed, 45 days or so later. Now I need some help, if I’m losing mind or the install was a sloppy install. Should the rubber trim around the rear view mirror shroud make contact with the windshield? I can feel about a 1/4 - 3/8 inch gap all the way around and then those two wires I swear they were facing the other way originally so I couldn’t see them. Do we know if those turn or am I going to snap something when I try?

Last edited:
View attachment 2251Finally received and installed, 45 days or so later. Now I need some help, if I’m losing mind or the install was sloppy install. Should rubber trim around the rear view mirror shroud should make contact with the windshield? I can feel about a 1/4 - 3/8 inch gap all the way around and then those two wires I swear they were facing the other way originally so I couldn’t see them. Do we know if those turn or am I going today snap something when I try?
No gap on mine

Attachments

• 28942B12-60C1-436F-95BA-47626502A757.jpeg
    28942B12-60C1-436F-95BA-47626502A757.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 206
Took a hard hit on the highway last week, immediately cracked and is continuing to spread even without extreme temp changes. The glass is covered by a two year warranty by Mopar so the dealership took pictures to send in today and will call me back once they hear back. They haven't had to deal with this so no one on staff is sure of the repair process lol. I think the most annoying thing was this glass is what delayed my build for a while, and I only had the Jeep 21 days when it cracked... my kind of luck.

Anyone gone through this process yet?

View attachment 1738
So when I picked up my 392 from my dealer, the gorilla windshield was cracked. It appeared that someone had let the hood lean back on the windshield frame and it slammed down and cracked the gorilla. It took two months to get the new gorilla windshield. I had it installed yesterday and when I picked it up it was making a terrible whistling noise from 35-45mph. I took it back to the glass company and they blamed it on the hinges which was total BS. They tried and tried to correct the whistle but ended up damaging the seal that surrounds the windshield. Now the problem is worse than ever, so I asked them to put my original broken windshield back in the jeep so I could take it to someone who knew what they were doing. Well, of course they said the windshield cracked when it was removed. Now I am stuck with a damaged seal and a very annoying whistling noise. My dealer is going to order another gorilla windshield and hopefully I can find someone to get it right. I sure hope this one doesn't take two months to come in. Very frustrated and disappointed with the glass shop not Jeep. Any recommendations on anything involving the windshield seal?

So when I picked up my 392 from my dealer, the gorilla windshield was cracked. It appeared that someone had let the hood lean back on the windshield frame and it slammed down and cracked the gorilla. It took two months to get the new gorilla windshield. I had it installed yesterday and when I picked it up it was making a terrible whistling noise from 35-45mph. I took it back to the glass company and they blamed it on the hinges which was total BS. They tried and tried to correct the whistle but ended up damaging the seal that surrounds the windshield. Now the problem is worse than ever, so I asked them to put my original broken windshield back in the jeep so I could take it to someone who knew what they were doing. Well, of course they said the windshield cracked when it was removed. Now I am stuck with a damaged seal and a very annoying whistling noise. My dealer is going to order another gorilla windshield and hopefully I can find someone to get it right. I sure hope this one doesn't take two months to come in. Very frustrated and disappointed with the glass shop not Jeep. Any recommendations on anything involving the windshield seal?
To get rid of the noise I would first try putting duct tape on the outside where you think the whistling noise originates. This should at least locate the problem and give you some peace while you wait for a new windshield. If you don’t like to drive around with duct tape on your windshield, you could shoot some caulk under the lip of the seal for a cleaner looking temporary fix. If you do, you should use caulk that can be removed easily by the person who installs your new windshield. Just my thoughts....

Started the process of a windshield replacement with my dealer today (Gorilla glass). The service people acted like they had no clue, and were going to call their Jeep dealer customer support and find out how to handle it. Guess we'll see how this process goes... and if I have to get the GM involved. I've literally purchased over 50 vehicles from them in the last 10-12 years.

This thread is really making me consider changing my order and removing Gorilla Glass…. Seems like no one has any idea how to deal with them.

The price on GG option went from $195 to $495 this week on my order. I’m guessing people won’t be checking the box as readily. Base price went up $2295 this week “unannounced”.

Anyone have a picture of the gorilla they can send? I was at my dealer today and saw it on a window sticker but then couldn’t find anything on the glass itself to show me that it was a gorilla glass. I ordered my 392 this week.

Back