Getting buying fatigue

Bman03

Reaction score
Current Rides
2020 trd pro 4runner
Hi All-

I’m in Los Angeles and I see all these 392s sitting. Everyone wants 15k over and it’s making me exhausted looking.

I don’t want to order And wait 6 months.

Anyone in the SoCal area want to sell there’s?

Or know of a dealer that won’t mark up?

I have a 2020 4runner trd pro with 25k miles I’m willing to trade in and finance the rest.

Must have is the power-top-
Not picky on colors but no white-

And XR package is preferred…

Can’t wait to get rid of my Toyota and join the jeep fam.

Cheers,
Kevin

Last edited:
Hi All-

I’m in Los Angeles and I see all these 392s sitting. Everyone wants 15k over and it’s making me exhausted looking.

I have a 2020 4runner trd pro with 25k miles I’m willing to trade in and finance the rest.

Thanks guys.
Go on Autotrader and look for one. There are a few in the 80k range and you will have to arrange shipping.
Shipping is around a $1 a mile. I almost bought one in Scottsdale, Arizona. I decided to wait for mine.

There’s a dealer listing on this forum offering deals. Buy from them and drive it back.

I think you’re going to have a hard time finding any deal on dealer stock anywhere. All of the deals I’ve seen have been sold orders. Best bet is probably to place an order, save a few thousand dollars, and get all the options and color you want.

I found my 392 XR searching dealers on the Jeep website. Just trying different zip codes and max distance. I found one that was coming in before the salesman even knew about it. Got it at MSRP (not bad considering it wasn’t a custom order). Dealership was 4 hours from us. But I got told many many times from other dealerships that the Jeep I was inquiring about was a sold order. It takes persistence.
So you might have luck doing that, esp if someone backs out of an order. Good luck! Hang in there. It’s worth the wait.

Last edited:
I was like you brother.. I checked out a ton of CDJRs around town and found exactly what you found... nothing but crazy markups. When I asked about ordering one, one dealer lied to me and said the factory doesn't take custom orders unless they're "going to make good money off them" (aka adding a bunch of features) and that "they might not even build an order if we put one in, so it's risky to order... so why don't you take a look at these used cars right over here" :ROFLMAO: . The other dealers I asked about matching some of the deals on this forum (like 6k off MSRP, or 8k off MSRP, etc) all pretty much just laughed in my face. Lots of other dealerships tried every tactic in the book to get me to change my mind about the 392 and/or buy something on their lot instead. Super shady.

I was so burned out on dealing with really shitty salesmen/internet managers/dealerships in LA area. I visited several and called about 10 more. Some guys were professional, but none of them would even remotely come close to matching the deals I found on here.

I came home, called up a dealer on this forum with a good offer (in my case, Granger), and placed an order with them. It was so easy and they took excellent care of me. I didn't like the idea of waiting 6 months either, but the deal I got was something like $21,000+ less than if I had just bought one on the lot nearby. I wasn't gonna let the shady guys at those dealerships take that money from me for doing NOTHING.

Anyway, my jeep should arrive in Iowa sometime in the next couple weeks. The wait was WAY less harsh than I expected (though it's getting a little painful now that we're in the home stretch). I could have it shipped, but probably will just fly out there and take a road trip home. I'm looking forward to it. SO STOKED that I went this route.

The '23 order banks just opened up, this is the perfect time to order a new 392! Hope you get your hands on one, either way. Cheers from another Los Angeles 392 jeep guy!

Call Miles at Dan Cummins (KY). I ordered from them and the Jeep was done in less than 3 months.

@dog How long has it been since you placed your order?
Jan 20th - Order Placed
Jan 21st - VON received
Jan 24th - VIN received
May 03rd - hit D1 status
May 19th - Build Sheet found on cryptostickers
May 23rd - Jeep Chat says "Your vehicle is built, and is pending quality inspections"
June 19th (today) - Still in "I" status, which is basically 'pending inspections'

I've seen people who placed orders months after me get their jeeps already, and I know there are people who ordered before me still waiting on theirs as well. I'm patient.. but eager! haha.

Worth adding some new details to my saga as it pertains to southern california 392 procurement...
Got a call out of the blue on Saturday from one of the decent salesmen that I was working with before I placed my order. He said someone backed out of an order and (for the first time in 6 months) they actually have a black 392XR on the lot in Hawthorne. I went over there and checked it out. First of all, super rad. So cool to check one out up close and drive it around (obviously not driving hard, just around the block, not even over 40mph). The jeep specs are very similar to the one I ordered (XR, front cam, tow package), but also had gorilla glass and trail rails, which I didn't order on mine. Plus, I ordered green and the one they have is black. Tempting...

Long story short, they want 92k for it. Thats 84,815 MSRP + 5k dealer markup + about 2k and change of bullshit (door edge protectors, undercarriage spray, blah blah blah (AKA the stuff I would NEVER pay for and sketchy dealers always try to add)). Since I'm getting mine (with almost exact same options) for 78k, there's no way in hell I'm gonna pay the 92k for the same jeep. Yes, I'll have to make a road trip home after I pick mine up in Iowa (lol), but I'm looking forward to that.

Anyway, @Bman03 (or anyone else looking to grab one) if you want the sales guy's number I can send it to ya. He's the only decent dude at that dealership. Jeep will likely be gone in the next day or two if it's not gone already.

Typically the outside states (although some will for you…) don’t collect the taxes. You will owe your state when you register.

• Brilliant
Reactions: dog
Yah, it seems to be all over the place. I've bought a decent number of cars out of state. I've had it where I had to do everything myself (pay taxes and do all the registering). I've had it in between where the dealer collects taxes, and I have to get it registered (recent used FJ cruiser went this way). I bought a BMW last year out of state and the dealership took care of everything: Taxes paid at time of purchase. A few weeks later I got the title/registration in the mail (loved that).

Typically the outside states (although some will for you…) don’t collect the taxes. You will owe your state when you register.
In SD, I pay the taxes and plates myself even buying from the local dealer IN SD.

CA is such a pain in the ass and had and has special rules. I nearly pulled the trigger on a 392 in a deal thread until the dealer said they don't really deal with it other than to sell the jeep.

I've done some studying and assuming all new 392 are 50 state compliant, and the vehicle is under 7500 miles; I believe I would have to pay the State sales tax rate, file for tags and pay registration.

They used to really bust your balls on smog stuff (still do if not 50 state) and will charge the whole sales tax regardless if you already paid it in another state. I'd have to make sure any dealer I work with either files w/CA and collects appropriate tax or charge none at all.

They used to really bust your balls on smog stuff (still do if not 50 state) and will charge the whole sales tax regardless if you already paid it in another state. I'd have to make sure any dealer I work with either files w/CA and collects appropriate tax or charge none at all.

These days they spell it out pretty clearly that if you have to pay tax in another state, you only pay the difference when you register it in CA:

"Do you owe tax on a car purchased in another state and then brought into California?
Yes, unless you purchased and used your car outside California for at least 12 months before you brought it into the state. If you owe use tax, it will be based upon the purchase price of the car, minus whatever sales tax you paid to another state. You can pay the tax to the DMV when you register the car in California. For more information, visit the Tax Guide for Purchases of Vehicles, Vessels, and Aircraft on the CDTFA website."

At least you should never pay double tax... not saying they might not try to get you on it!

Hi All-

Must have is the power-top-
Not picky on colors but no white-

And XR package is preferred…

Can’t wait to get rid of my Toyota and join the jeep fam.

Cheers,
Kevin
I have a 392 Black with XR that just became available. We are asking 5k over but when we add it to the website they are going to be asking 10 over. Message me if you would like to check it out. We are in Torrance CA. you would ask for Lenny

Reactions: dog
Back