Fuel Storage - Aux Fuel

I keep talking myself into various options.

I have 37s, so I need to address the weight of the spare on the factory tailgate hinges. I had planned to go with the entire AEV rear bumper with tire carrier and aux fuel tank, but I don’t see that I’ll need the tank very frequently. Still, once is enough.

Reviews of the AEV products are all over the place too, ranging from high praises to being junk. For nearly $3k, it’s a big leap of faith.

I believe I will likely end up going with the Cavfab Elite tire carrier.

As for aux fuel, I’ll probably end up grabbing a few Rotopax cans to attach to the spare tire with the RSE spare tire mounts. This way I can easily remove them when not needed, which will be most of the time. Seems like a good balance for all the options I’ve researched so far.

FWIW, I've had the full AEV bumper/carrier/fuel tank on my last two Jeeps for a total of over 10 years now... and I'm pretty sure that's where I'm going with mine. I've had very few complaints. The biggest hassle is installing it, as it's not super easy.... and it was complicated by the fact that my 13 JKUR had a body lift, which threw off the tailgate connector for the tire swing.... But with an afternoon of creative engineering, it's been working now for at least 8 years without issue, it always works, has zero rattles, and unlike a bunch of other accessories, the powdercoating has not caused a bunch of headaches.

I went with the Rock Slide Engineering EZ Rack with 3 gallon cans.
1661749319046-jpeg.6714
I did the same thing. Works like a champ. When I travel I run a bike cable with a combination lock through the rim of the spare to deter anyone from stealing them. I also have a lock on my spare.

Attachments

• B77A5B69-BD91-40B2-9FC0-E466441828DD.jpeg
    B77A5B69-BD91-40B2-9FC0-E466441828DD.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 52
Then there is this option. Like the guy who brings a beer keg to a party, plenty to share with friends.
Comes in regular and supersize. 🤣

Attachments

• 055C317D-21BB-4A8C-BA3F-A43A0643BAB2.jpeg
    055C317D-21BB-4A8C-BA3F-A43A0643BAB2.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 16
  • 2530227C-EDE2-46EA-9333-E6AC8C1C76CF.png
    2530227C-EDE2-46EA-9333-E6AC8C1C76CF.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 18
1661749319046-jpeg.6714
I have both that rotopax system and AEV.
Rotopax good if on a budget, AEV def a nice upgrade and if more than 10 gallons are needed, i can slap the rotos back on.
As far as AEV quality goes, no complaints (16 years of using them). JK still holding up and the 392 too new to report any bugs yet.

For those that have the RSE EZ Rack, have the strap gotten loose or fatigued? If so, how often have they needed adjustment?

I plan to travel to the Arctic Ocean this summer and the Yukon/NWT/AK roads can be rough. I was concerned about the straps gradually coming loose.

Thanks in advance!

I don't want to derail this thread so I'll keep it brief and plan to post some information on the trip in a separate thread.

I rode a similar path on my motorcycle last summer but did not go to the Arctic as I was on the wrong bike to get up the Dempster Highway when raining. Since my boys are getting to the point where they'll be out of the house in a few years, I wanted to take a boys trip they would remember. My planned stops are the Salmon Glacier near Hyder, AK, Dease Lake and onto Telegraph Creek, over to Dawson City and up to Tuktoyaktuk, NWT. The road from Inuvik (you may remember this from Ice Road Truckers TV show) to Tuk was completed in Nov 2017 so it hasn't been around for a long time. You can drive right to the Arctic Ocean at Tuk. After Tuk, I plan to drive back to Dawson City and hit the Top of the World Highway to Tok, AK. I'll probably swing us down to Valdez (it is beautiful there) and then back up to the Denali Highway to swing over to Talkeetna and let my boys see Denali via plane. When we head back, I plan to drive the Alcan to Haines Crossing, swing south to Haines, take the ferry to Skagway and then swing back up to the Alcan from there. Since we'll take the Cassiar Highway up north, we'll likely take the Alcan all the way back so my boys can see Liard Hot Springs and Muncho Lake amongst other sights.

If this RSE EZ Rack isn't a good fit, I'll figure something else out. I likely only need extra range in 2 spots so a Wavian NATO gas can might work too. Aside from the extra fuel, I'll likely throw on a muffler skid.

I don't want to derail this thread so I'll keep it brief and plan to post some information on the trip in a separate thread.

I rode a similar path on my motorcycle last summer but did not go to the Arctic as I was on the wrong bike to get up the Dempster Highway when raining. Since my boys are getting to the point where they'll be out of the house in a few years, I wanted to take a boys trip they would remember. My planned stops are the Salmon Glacier near Hyder, AK, Dease Lake and onto Telegraph Creek, over to Dawson City and up to Tuktoyaktuk, NWT. The road from Inuvik (you may remember this from Ice Road Truckers TV show) to Tuk was completed in Nov 2017 so it hasn't been around for a long time. You can drive right to the Arctic Ocean at Tuk. After Tuk, I plan to drive back to Dawson City and hit the Top of the World Highway to Tok, AK. I'll probably swing us down to Valdez (it is beautiful there) and then back up to the Denali Highway to swing over to Talkeetna and let my boys see Denali via plane. When we head back, I plan to drive the Alcan to Haines Crossing, swing south to Haines, take the ferry to Skagway and then swing back up to the Alcan from there. Since we'll take the Cassiar Highway up north, we'll likely take the Alcan all the way back so my boys can see Liard Hot Springs and Muncho Lake amongst other sights.

If this RSE EZ Rack isn't a good fit, I'll figure something else out. I likely only need extra range in 2 spots so a Wavian NATO gas can might work too. Aside from the extra fuel, I'll likely throw on a muffler skid.
@NMBoondocker This is similar to what my brother and I want to do, but health happens...
If you can, it would be great it you started a new thread. Fuel DTE is a big concern when driving a 392. Your excursion sounds awesome. We are still trying to plan a trip up there, but now a bit shorter.

For those that have the RSE EZ Rack, have the strap gotten loose or fatigued? If so, how often have they needed adjustment?

I plan to travel to the Arctic Ocean this summer and the Yukon/NWT/AK roads can be rough. I was concerned about the straps gradually coming loose.

Thanks in advance!
I have only used the RSE EZ Rack with 3 gallon rotopax cans once. Wheeled in southern Utah and had no problems with the strap, no adjustments needed. RSE uses a quality strap, you should have no problems with this set up.

I have only used the RSE EZ Rack with 3 gallon rotopax cans once. Wheeled in southern Utah and had no problems with the strap, no adjustments needed. RSE uses a quality strap, you should have no problems with this set up.
Thank you! This is helpful.

I think I'll eventually put a Rhino Rack on my 392, for those camp items that take up a lot of space in the cab (EZ-up, shovel, etc).

When I do, I'll probably just get this thing:

1679412837638.png

10.5 Gal (2x 20L cans) is half a tank.

The Rhino rack system isn't cheap at around $2k (with the "backbone" structure), and the fuel can holder is around $230.

I've been following this and other similar aux fuel threads with interest.

An Alaska / Yukon / NWT trip is in my summer plans also, departing late May and hitting many of the same points you've listed, including Tuktoyaktuk. Carrying extra fuel has been an issue for me in the past and will be on this trip too. I've found gas station distances along the route to be adequate; the real issue for me is availability of premium fuel.

I've been unable to find premium fuel anywhere North of Dawson City. If that's correct (and anyone's input would be appreciated) it would be an 1160 mile round trip with only 87 octane available. I'm currently planning on bringing four 5g jerry cans of 101 octane street legal gas, with one can added to every tank of 87 octane (for a 1:3 mix octane of ~90.6). That gets me 5 tanks of fuel if I include my departure fill in Dawson City.

I've got a Rhino rack so my two options for carrying jerry cans are:
a) building a plywood box for the roof rack (for protection against rain/mud/salt and theft), or
b) carrying them inside.

Still dreaming of cramming the LRA aux tank in somehow but don't think I'll be able to pull that off before the trip.

I've been following this and other similar aux fuel threads with interest.

An Alaska / Yukon / NWT trip is in my summer plans also, departing late May and hitting many of the same points you've listed, including Tuktoyaktuk. Carrying extra fuel has been an issue for me in the past and will be on this trip too. I've found gas station distances along the route to be adequate; the real issue for me is availability of premium fuel.

I've been unable to find premium fuel anywhere North of Dawson City. If that's correct (and anyone's input would be appreciated) it would be an 1160 mile round trip with only 87 octane available. I'm currently planning on bringing four 5g jerry cans of 101 octane street legal gas, with one can added to every tank of 87 octane (for a 1:3 mix octane of ~90.6). That gets me 5 tanks of fuel if I include my departure fill in Dawson City.

I've got a Rhino rack so my two options for carrying jerry cans are:
a) building a plywood box for the roof rack (for protection against rain/mud/salt and theft), or
b) carrying them inside.

Still dreaming of cramming the LRA aux tank in somehow but don't think I'll be able to pull that off before the trip.
FWIW. you can make your own high octane fuel from lower octane. Don't buy any of the stupid little bottles of "octane booster" as they are all snake oil.

Instead, you can go to your local Sherwin Williams paint store and buy toluene in one or 5 gallon cans.

I had a Subaru WRX as soon as they started selling them in the US. I tuned that thing as much as one could without turning it into a grenade. When running 22+ PSI of boost pressure, standard 93 octane was not enough for the highest power tunes, so I began mixing my own fuel using toluene to boost the octane. A gallon of he stuff poured into the tank (when empty) before filling up gave me enough octane "boost" to keep running the best timing and fuel maps. That thing was a rocket.

Here's a quick link I found, but remember it's your engine. I'm just some a-hole you met on the internet so do your own research and make your own decisions. But... this might just get you through your trip. Good luck.:

toluene article

1661749319046-jpeg.6714
How do you like that setup
My only concern is a flat tire. I guess you could then just strap it on your buddy’s jeep

How do you like that setup
My only concern is a flat tire. I guess you could then just strap it on your buddy’s jeep
I have run with that setup but with 2 gallon rotos. They were filled and Ouray trails didn't shake, rattle and it didn't bother tailgate alignment.
A few things to remember:
They have to ride high enough to clear passenger side tail light.
Have a set of disposable gloves and zip lock bag to store them in, along with the funnel. Gas fumes suck.
Also when empty and at higher elevations, crack open the caps to allow them to equalize at lower elevations.

I have run with that setup but with 2 gallon rotos. They were filled and Ouray trails didn't shake, rattle and it didn't bother tailgate alignment.
A few things to remember:
They have to ride high enough to clear passenger side tail light.
Have a set of disposable gloves and zip lock bag to store them in, along with the funnel. Gas fumes suck.
Also when empty and at higher elevations, crack open the caps to allow them to equalize at lower elevations.
Good advice thanks and thank you for the response.It’s hard to believe there isn’t an angle bracket that would bolt up to the Tera flex tire carrier on those four threaded bolt holes.

Last edited:
Back