Fuel Storage - Aux Fuel

Got another option for you guys: https://www.trailrax.com/products/pak-rax-jl-2018-current

It's a little pricey at $500 for some racks, but looks pretty clean and is easily removable.

1671725084473.png

Got another option for you guys: https://www.trailrax.com/products/pak-rax-jl-2018-current

It's a little pricey at $500 for some racks, but looks pretty clean and is easily removable.

View attachment 15969
That’s a best option imho unless you’re going with the AEV setup, which is overkill for me. I like that this removable, I’d hate to run like that all the time. Great that it’s low profile / rides tight and distributes weight to both sides. 16 gallons is a pretty awesome reserve. With the sky one touch and how the rear windows are completely removable, it’d be cool to see options that swap the windows for a tank, using no more bracketry/mounting than what’s currently there (OEM) for housing the rear windows. I suppose weight would be an area of concern - ie can the OEM mounting points support the much heavier load.

What about this, anyone seen this or used this?

I have a Titan tank that I ended up not installing, still in the box. I ended up going with a spare tire delete route instead so no longer have need for it. Happy to sell it for a good price to another 392 owner. When I researched the best options, it was the one I ended up going for.

I have a Titan tank that I ended up not installing, still in the box. I ended up going with a spare tire delete route instead so no longer have need for it. Happy to sell it for a good price to another 392 owner. When I researched the best options, it was the one I ended up going for.
DM sent

Has anyone done any research on auxiliary storage? I’ve been looking at fuel cans, mounts, etc. I found this and giving consideration To this option. A little pricey, but worth it, considering many places in the 4 corner states and beyond done have solid cell reception and CB use is limited. An additional 17 gallons will certainly get one back to a fuel depot.

What I've been looking for - a successful 392 installation of the 17g LRA tank:

What I've been looking for - a successful 392 installation of the 17g LRA tank:
I've always wanted a LRA tank in my LJ. Knowing that they fill automatically from the gas station and use a pump to fill the main tank when it is low I've often wondered if that same pump could be plumbed safety with a hose to fill generator, mower, other vehicles.

Would like better pictures and info on exhaust routing. Wonder why he doesn't just say the cost...

Just to add to the thread. I used the AEV tank on my old JK for many miles and it was a life saver. The JK was supercharged, so for long distance I could not get as much mileage as the 392, and the fuel caddy worked like a charm. I used a high flow fuel pump to create a transfer system from the Fuel Caddy into the Jeep, so I did not have to sit on the side of the road for too long.

The nice thing is that it was light and remained on the jeep not adding much weight. Was able to use it only when needed. It also sits at the back so does not create any wind drag and screw with your fuel mileage. It would depend on your application, but the Fuel Caddy (AEV or Titan) is a great option that carries a lot of fuel.

Only downside is that it limits the view out the back, but with today's tech on rear view mirrors, this should not be an issue. You'll need a rear tire carrier that can support the additional weight. when fuel is added.

LRA is an amazing option, but from a price point and a weight perspective, I believe the Titan with a fuel transfer pump will fill the gap very nicely.

I'd be fine with a much smaller solution in the 10 gal or less range with the LRA design. Even 5 gallons is 5 gallons of useable fuel.

I didn’t. Not yet. Haven’t decided which direction I want to go just yet.
Agreed. I have a Vector GGB and I noticed they pre-drilled Rotopax mounting points underneath. This provides the option for 2 x 4gal Rotopax fuel "cans".

Looking into it this as the route to take. Not sure about storing fuel inside the cab though.

I'm now planning on getting the AEV bumper/carrier/aux tank.... trying to work out a decent way to transfer fuel to the main tank.

I'm thinking of drilling a hole in the top, and fitting a pickup tube... Using something like this: Bulkhead-Fitting-Aluminum combined with a small pump that can be triggered via an AUX switch to transfer fuel into the main tank.

but.... I'm concerned about the possibility of pressure in the aux tank pushing fuel into the main tank either overflowing the main tank, or emptying the aux tank over time without realizing it, only to find it empty when I need it.

Any thoughts on a pump that would block the flow when it's not on? Seems like that's the most straightforward solution... or adding an electric valve that opens when the pump runs. Or plan "C"?

I'm now planning on getting the AEV bumper/carrier/aux tank.... trying to work out a decent way to transfer fuel to the main tank.

I'm thinking of drilling a hole in the top, and fitting a pickup tube... Using something like this: Bulkhead-Fitting-Aluminum combined with a small pump that can be triggered via an AUX switch to transfer fuel into the main tank.

but.... I'm concerned about the possibility of pressure in the aux tank pushing fuel into the main tank either overflowing the main tank, or emptying the aux tank over time without realizing it, only to find it empty when I need it.

Any thoughts on a pump that would block the flow when it's not on? Seems like that's the most straightforward solution... or adding an electric valve that opens when the pump runs. Or plan "C"?
I cant remember where I saw but someone used the syphon hose (I think it comes with the tank) and it was a pretty quick operation. I doubt you will plan to use it very often, just when needed or to get fresh fuel in there. There were concerns over the fuel smell on the siphon hose after using it but I have siphoned for my generator before and with a bit of dry time and airing out the fumes were gone.

I cant remember where I saw but someone used the syphon hose (I think it comes with the tank) and it was a pretty quick operation. I doubt you will plan to use it very often, just when needed or to get fresh fuel in there. There were concerns over the fuel smell on the siphon hose after using it but I have siphoned for my generator before and with a bit of dry time and airing out the fumes were gone.
I may have posted that. I have the AEV tank on my old JK. IT works great for fetching mower gas, but that hose is an issue. I literally kept a spare so that if I ever had to use it, I would never put it back in the Jeep. I can't stand the smell of gas, and having it in my Jeep would be pretty awful to me anyway.

That's why I thought a small pump might be a better solution. I expect to use it more with the 392 as I'm planning some longer trips and with the reduced range....

Plus it would have the added benefit of being able to not stop when on a long trip. Which, honestly is likely where it will see the most use.

I was going to go the rotopax route myself with either the rebel offroad window delete, or the trailrax but like a previous poster said, its ~$1,200 by the time your done outfitting it. I looked at the titan but I think im eventually going the tire delete route so.... in the meantime Im personally using 2x $20 5gal gas cans from harbor freight. I've done the rear seat delete so I strap them down behind the passenger seat. Ive done multiple 150 mile offroad trips and they dont leak or smell. Of course these are the California cans so they might be different in other states. $40 for 10gal of gas is working real nice for the time being.

I keep talking myself into various options.

I have 37s, so I need to address the weight of the spare on the factory tailgate hinges. I had planned to go with the entire AEV rear bumper with tire carrier and aux fuel tank, but I don’t see that I’ll need the tank very frequently. Still, once is enough.

Reviews of the AEV products are all over the place too, ranging from high praises to being junk. For nearly $3k, it’s a big leap of faith.

I believe I will likely end up going with the Cavfab Elite tire carrier.

As for aux fuel, I’ll probably end up grabbing a few Rotopax cans to attach to the spare tire with the RSE spare tire mounts. This way I can easily remove them when not needed, which will be most of the time. Seems like a good balance for all the options I’ve researched so far.

Back