Fuel Storage - Aux Fuel

Going by this pic from another post here and looking under my own I don’t see a aux tank as being possible. The exhaust takes up any available space the could be used for a secondary tanks.
I was looking real hard at my undercarriage. Also agree, a wee bit tight.

I apologize for my misinformation!
It is part of the AEV rear bumper. Don’t have a clue what I was thinking, obviously I wasn’t!
My bad.✌🏼
no worries mate. It’s all light here.

6E5CD340-9D17-493E-8871-F4B7C6253F1A.jpeg

Ethanol free 93, plus fuel stabilizer, good for 2 years. 5 gallons each. No vapors or leaks. I don’t need to travel with fuel very often.

I would be worried about transporting in the vehicle in the event of an accident.
I didn’t say I wasn’t worried, you should see the other shit I do!

Just kidding. I keep looking for a good option that I like for external storage, haven’t seen anything I like yet. No roof rack, and I don’t like the solutions that mount it near the front fender. I don’t tote then around, but I like having spare fuel. If I thought I needed it, I wouldn’t be too worried to wedge it in the backseat. But you’re not wrong…no bueno in an accident.

The only option I have seen that makes sense to me is the one that uses a strap to mount 2 3gal rotopax on either side of the spare tire. Considering for my purposes it’s something I may need a few time a year for peace of mind I don’t want to get crazy.

No. It’s completely separate from the bumper.
The JL tire carrier requires the AEV bumper. from their website

Please note: The AEV Rear Bumper will not work with the factory spare tire mount unless an adapter is added to move the spare tire up and away from the bumper. Additionally, AEV’s RX Tire Carrier will only work with AEV’s Rear Bumper and is not compatible with the OE rear bumper.

I got excited at first. I don't like the AEV bumper but only option for now if you want their fuel caddy. The JK Steel bumper has the same knock out on passenger side that the AEV has.

Has anyone done any research on auxiliary storage? I’ve been looking at fuel cans, mounts, etc. I found this and giving consideration To this option. A little pricey, but worth it, considering many places in the 4 corner states and beyond done have solid cell reception and CB use is limited. An additional 17 gallons will certainly get one back to a fuel depot.

I have spoken via email to the mfg. they are not and most likely will not make a tank for the 392.

I apologize for my misinformation!
It is part of the AEV rear bumper. Don’t have a clue what I was thinking, obviously I wasn’t!
My bad.✌🏼
It looks like you have to have their bumper on the JL. On the JK it was available separately. That is probably where you got the idea. I looked at their website, though, and if you start clicking options on the bumper, you can get over $3000 for the bumper, tire carrier, fuel carrier, light mount, splash guards, etc. :oops:

It looks like you have to have their bumper on the JL. On the JK it was available separately. That is probably where you got the idea. I looked at their website, though, and if you start clicking options on the bumper, you can get over $3000 for the bumper, tire carrier, fuel carrier, light mount, splash guards, etc. :oops:
My last Jeep was a 2014 AEV JK.
I just forgot that the AEV fuel cell pairs with the mast on the spare tire carrier. You can get just the bumper if you wish. I just forgot that it requires the tire carrier for proper fit.

I have spoken via email to the mfg. they are not and most likely will not make a tank for the 392.
That's an absolute bummer to hear this news. I was crossing my fingers they would bring one to market... I am fine with the tire mount and rotopax for the emergency, but its more about not having to stop as much for fuel. That's the most annoying part of my trips... Just how small the tank is and how often my wife and I have to stop for gas.

Check out this innovative solution :eek:

I had to watch that one twice, couldn't believe someone who can speak and operate a vehicle could be that stupid.

Last edited:
Check out this innovative solution :eek:

I was going to say “only in California“, but this is in Las Vegas. Close enough. Must be the run off in the water. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

This is disappointing. I need to find a solution and would like 15-20 gallons. I was hopeful there would be an auxiliary tank. Might need to be jerry cans. Was hoping not, would prefer the built in option like LRA.

I have the AEV tank on my JKUR that's similar. I never needed the extra range in my JK, but it's REALLY handy for dealing with lawn equipment fuel. I just fill it up whenever I'm fueling the JK, and I always have a splash of gas for mowers, tillers, weed-eaters, whatever.

The AEV one only works with the AEV tire carrier, I think.

Back