Fuel Storage - Aux Fuel

Jeepstin392

Jeep 392 of the Month
Reaction score
Current Rides
2017 Jeep GC SRT, 2021 Jeep Wrangler 392, 2023 Tesla, Model Y Performance, 2021 BMW M340i XDrive, 2018 Mini Cooper S "7"
Has anyone done any research on auxiliary storage? I’ve been looking at fuel cans, mounts, etc. I found this and giving consideration To this option. A little pricey, but worth it, considering many places in the 4 corner states and beyond done have solid cell reception and CB use is limited. An additional 17 gallons will certainly get one back to a fuel depot.

Last edited:
Has anyone done any research on auxiliary storage? I’ve been looking at fuel cans, mounts, etc. I found this and giving consideration To this option. A little pricey, but worth it, considering many places in the 4 corner states and beyond done have solid cell reception and CB use is limited. An additional 17 gallons will certainly get one back to a fuel depot.

6A5DD798-0BF4-40AD-8B2F-9125700BB4BB.png
10.2 gallon auxiliary fuel carrier from AEV.
I had the same one for 7 years on my 2014 JK and it is the shiz nit!!!
Excellent quality product!👍🏼
7234FCAC-DEB4-4614-91BC-D491088DEDC2.png

View attachment 375210.2 gallon auxiliary fuel carrier from AEV.
I had the same one for 7 years on my 2014 JK and it is the shiz nit!!!
Excellent quality product!👍🏼
View attachment 3753
Requires their bumper, correct?
I don’t care for their bumper design. Unfortunately, I do like the fuel can, just not the bumper.

Looks like it will only fit the JL's with the 3.6L motor. I couldn't find where it would fit our applications. Have you seen differently?

I don't think there is anything unique to the 392 back there.
Maybe the exhaust. It’s tight with the 3.6 exhaust set up. I’ll call them to inquire.

There is also this, much less expensive alternativ.

It says:
"Will the AEV tire carrier work with the Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement?
The AEV rear bumper and tire carrier will work with the Mopar tailgate reinforcement. The AEV fuel caddy will not fit due to interference with the antenna/flag mount on top of the reinforcement bracket, but the rest of the tire carrier clears without issue."

I'm a new owner and not next to my Jeep right now, but I don't know what the "antenna/flag mount" is referring to here, or whether that can be modified to allow this solution to work with our 392 with the Tailgate Reinforcement for those of us with that. Do you happen to know?

Looks like this works withOUT the need for their *bumper*, but WITH the need for their tire carrier, per:

"Will the AEV Fuel Caddy work with any other tire carriers?
No, the AEV Fuel Caddy is designed to work with the AEV Tire Carrier only. You do not need the AEV Rear Bumper though, just the Tire Carrier."

ref: https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/fuel-caddy/

I’m liking the ideas of the 17 gallon aux. it is a pricey option but I might also consider that. Thanks! If you go that route, one thing to consider if it doesn’t automatically consume from it during regular driving and gas stops: given that the Jeep requires premium, it will need rotated out frequently. Octane doesn’t have a very long shelf life and it’s not designed for any length of storage in a tank.

Prior to your post, i was considering the Rotopax and Trailpax option:
https://www.trailrax.com/products/pak-rax-jl-2018-current

Or, the tire carrier route:
https://titanfueltanks.com/titan-trail-trekker-ii-4040287

I'm a new owner and not next to my Jeep right now, but I don't know what the "antenna/flag mount" is referring to here, or whether that can be modified to allow this solution to work with our 392 with the Tailgate Reinforcement for those of us with that. Do you happen to know?
The Mopar tailgate reinforcement has a place to mount an antenna or flag. Mine is currently set up to mount a flag on a CB antenna mount, Its the part that extends rearward that I assume has to be cut/ground off.

IMG_7812.JPG

Sorry, I thought we were talking about the AEV Fuel Caddy.

View attachment 3755View attachment 3755
No apologies
I posted two different solutions.
The AEV is similar to the Titan. The difference between those two is one can be used with the stock set up and 12 gallons. The AEV looks like it requires their tire carrier and just a pinch over 10 gallons.

I’m really interested in the auxiliary fuel tank. It’s $2200, which isn’t much more than the AEV set up ($1200 approx.)

I don’t particularly care for the AEV bumpers, bit it is nice that you can store water in it.

Going by this pic from another post here and looking under my own I don’t see a aux tank as being possible. The exhaust takes up any available space the could be used for a secondary tanks.

Attachments

• F5AB28B5-09A9-4E1D-823B-4ECF17FE8AFB.jpeg
    F5AB28B5-09A9-4E1D-823B-4ECF17FE8AFB.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 191
We will probably go with 2
(5 gallon) Jerry cans on our Mammoth Overland trailer.

Last edited:
Requires their bumper, correct?
I don’t care for their bumper design. Unfortunately, I do like the fuel can, just not the bumper.
I apologize for my misinformation!
It is part of the AEV rear bumper. Don’t have a clue what I was thinking, obviously I wasn’t!
My bad.✌🏼

Back