Fox Shocks for 392

Sulley

Reaction score
This is a little premature, but I'm thinking ahead to replacing the stock shocks on a 24 392, when it arrives, with a Fox DSC set. Fox lists a number of different lift options on their website, but is not clear on what the baseline is. Certainly not the 392 XR. What would be comparable to today's 392 XR in terms of lift, if I were swapping for an identical lift? I've read the XR (at least on the 24s) comes with a 1.5" lift, but not sure if that translates correctly to Fox's advertised lifts. Thanks.

I installed the ones (23XR) for 2-3” lift FOX-883-26-050-54 & FOX-883-26-050-50. I also have the Clayton performance coils which seem to add 1”+ or so over OEM. The Fox are quite a bit longer than OEM so you will definitely get more down travel. I would assume the 0-1.5” would be closer to stock length.
IMG_7436.jpeg
IMG_7434.jpeg
IMG_7436.jpeg

Last edited:
Hoping to replicate this set up. Wish I knew someone local that had it to see if it’s worth the 2.5k over the stock set up for the street

Just did the Fox 2.5 0"-1.5" shocks on my 392XR olong with a steering damper. I measured the stock shocks against the Fox and you get about 1/2" more when compressed and extended which is perfect as I have no intension of lifting my Jeep. Not sure its better than stock on the road but I like the adjustability and it looks cool.

Last edited:
Your actual compression of any shock is going to be limited by the colossal bump tower present in the 392s and XRs. And your extension is going to be limited by the coil and I suppose also the sway bar link.

Unless you are addressing other elements of the suspension (ie coil length and bump), I don’t think you have much to gain in terms of travel by adding shocks with shorter compression and greater extension. You should generally look to match the stock compressed/extended dimensions. (One big assumption is that the stock shocks take full advantage of current potential travel.)

Now to the topic of improved performance and feel. I run Fox 2.5 DSCs paired with MetalCloak coils (4.5 front and 3.5 rear). I have played somewhat extensively with the DSC settings. I currently have them somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd softest setting. I ran them at 6 previously, which is more middle ground between soft / firm. Fwiw, I’m also running fox hydro bumps with chopped bump towers to accommodate. (But the bumps hardly account for the point I’ll make , which is…)… the Fox 2.5 DSCs, at least on the MC coils, and regardless of soft/firm setting, are nowhere near as dialed-in and compliant as the stock set up. Mind you, I had the oem fox 392 shocks, not the XR shocks. My ride is less cushy, less divey, and way more taut compared to stock. I don’t care bc my goals were not to have the cushiest highway drive. Long story short…unless you are lifting with goals in mind - say, to accommodate a tire size or off-road performance - I think you may be happiest with your current shock.

I wonder if my reaction to the DSC shock is complicated by the pairing with the MC coils, which I believe are known to be stiff. As in, perhaps damping performance would be felt better if paired with different coils. This puts me into accutune territory, where I may eventually go when all else is done.

Point of reference. My buddy runs a Mojave Gladiator with the OEM fox resi shocks and bumps. He was running my jeep this Saturday and remarked that my ride was way more stiff than his setup.

Hoping to replicate this set up. Wish I knew someone local that had it to see if it’s worth the 2.5k over the stock set up for the street
I'm near Charlotte NC and have the fox 2.5s. Not sure where you are

Wonder what the Fox will be on the 24’s? Same shock, different tune as the 21-23 non-XR’s?

I finally gave up on finding any useful feedback on the 2.5 performance series and jumped on a good deal on the 2.5 DSC shocks I came across. They are complete overkill but I have to say they are performing beyond expectations while mall crawling. :ROFLMAO:

What about these?

I’m looking at shocks recently and found the newly released (10 months ago) Fox 2.5 performance series, non-resi shocks. JKS announced this product: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ase-fox-2-5-performance-series-shocks.101297/

Here is their video with more info:

I believe @Ted392 had installed this set since I was following his build thread.
I like these shocks. Great ride on and offraod for me. Plenty of stroke. Good value for the money. However, I think the Clayton 392 springs help out a lot with the 392 ride as well.

I like these shocks. Great ride on and offraod for me. Plenty of stroke. Good value for the money. However, I think the Clayton 392 springs help out a lot with the 392 ride as well.
I think I’ll follow your footprints and get both Clayton performance coils and these 2.5 performance series and install both on the same day. I like simple (compared to DSC) design and they should yield more on-road comfort for my daily drive needs.

The Stock OEM XR shock is supposed to be the Tenneco Rancho RS7MT shock according to comments from Scott Blum and Shock Surplus about the features of the rebound mechanism in the shock....that is exclusive to Tenneco Rancho. Not a high end shock at all, but not garbage either. $70 typical shock.

Attachments

• AA89788A-77D1-411D-991E-678ADD1A3F90.jpeg
    AA89788A-77D1-411D-991E-678ADD1A3F90.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 12
Just did the Fox 2.5 0"-1.5" shocks on my 392XR olong with a steering damper. I measured the stock shocks against the Fox and you get about 1/2" more when compressed and extended which is perfect as I have no intension of lifting my Jeep. Not sure its better than stock on the road but I like the adjustability and it looks cool.
Great looking Jeep. I have 23' XR and was thinking of doing the Fox shocks and steering damper. Which of those two things made the most difference in driving on the road?

Back