Few Thoughts on my 392 after 1K

CBH

Founding Member
Reaction score
Very impressed with running Imogene, on foot! I am still debating if I will drive Imogene on Wednesday or Thursday.

Yesterday (Monday) I introduced my 392 to off-roading with an easy trail, "Last Dollar Road" outside Ridgeway. I did use low range for portions of the trail and the views were great! The Jeep was so much better than my JK last year, just unbelievable really. Went into Telluride for a late lunch after the trail. I have not seen another 392 anywhere in Ouray, Telluride, etc. I have only received one comment about the 392.... from a young guy who recognized the sound and said, "wow you have a scat pack in that Jeep! Sounds awesome!" BTW, only have 1,360 miles on her...

Today, Tuesday, I am headed out to start the Alpine loop from Silverton.... Engineer's Pass and then Cinnamon Pass. Pictures attached are from Last Dollar, yesterday. 392's are definitely a very rare form of wildlife....
I envy you playing with yor new Jeep in my former Colorado “backyard”. The only “challenging” spot I remember when driving Imogene is where the road curves around the top of Camp Bird Mine. The rest of the route is less challenging so you can enjoy the beautiful vistas without a "death grip" on the steering wheel.

Ngcannotwait

Founding Member
Reaction score
Question for this post. Someone said they read there 1,000 being built. Can you point me to the source of that article? Thank you!
It was me - I was a reading some info on line - don’t recall the exact source

SOPMOD

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
TRX, HellCat RedEye, 392............
I have had a chance to put 1,000 miles on my 392 and thought I would share some thoughts.

Shortly before I received my 392 they announced the Recon Extreme package, First thought was great there going to put dana 60's in it and now I have to reorder another and let mine go. Then I realized nope they are doing it with the current axles and I thought WTH really. I was like no way they wont break things with a 4.56 and under a hard TQ launch but no where can I find what the axles are really rated for, only 8 percent stronger than a JK44 is really all I could find.

Fast Forward a week or two and my 392 was delivered. This is my first 6.4 hemi in any vehicle and I must say it does not disappoint. TQ is really amazing and always there from the driving experience. Then I came across a Dyno of a 392 Rubi and it's what you would expect after driving it. with a 3.73 and stock 33's it makes more TQ to the wheel at 2000 rpm than the 3.6 or 2.0 at any RPM. Then I began to understand 3.73 gear was enough even with a tire change and probably yields the best MPG, great performance and the Motor would push even 37's very good with this much power on tap.

As for the 4.56 gears I'm interested to see how the 392 responds to them. At the 392 Launch I thought they missed the mark with the 3.73 and Dana 44 ( expected 4.10 like other Rubis and hoped for dana 60) and I did the math on the stresses the axle would see with lower gears, this motor, and wow its a lot of TQ. Way more than earlier generations would take. I originally came to terms that the axles were maxed out with the 3.73 and it would half to do. Worst case aftermarket LOL! But if the 4.56 proves reliable with this set up then I have options if one day I feel the need.

Looking at a gear chart the 4.56 is a pretty big jump with this much power, more than 300 rpm between the two factory set up's so you get the overall ratio with the bigger tire back and then some more. Two big questions I have what will it do to MPG and is it reliable.

Now to the driving experience:

So far this jeep is everything I hoped it would be then some. I was surprised at the quality of the ride even though I heard it mentioned many times in reviews.

When you jump in the skinny peddle I love they way it reacts! it's dramatic! it gets loud! the rear squats! the front jumps up! and it runs hard! Basically I'm pretty sure it breaks a few rules of nature in the process. Yet when cruising it is almost refined, exhaust closed it actually quiet, ride is good and it handles pretty good for a Jeep.

Torque Launch - Yes, that is Just an experience I think you must have in one of these. They leave the line HARD! Oh what fun.... The auto 4 wheel seems to work great, again these just hook and go! Apply brake, add throttle wait for engine and exhaust to change, release the brake and let it run! ( in a controlled environment of course lol)

I have the sky one touch and to be honest I like it. I don't think it is overly noisy. Originally I was on the fence but I would buy it again. Coming home from a trip I was running 79 MPH with the a/c on and it was not bad at all. Some how got 17.0 MPG on that tank. Pretty sure I had a tail wind most of the way either that or it just loved the highway. Otherwise about 15 MPG so far. Side note, windows down top open seem to make for worse MPG but who cares.

I will say the adaptive cruise is almost a little harsh. Roll up on someone and it will slow pretty quick, go around and well that 392 will get you right back to speed pretty quick.

At the end of the day I'm glad they built it and I'm glad I jumped on the opportunity to own one.
32073........I'm 32043 right up the road!

WYAZ392

Founding Member
Reaction score
Very impressed with running Imogene, on foot! I am still debating if I will drive Imogene on Wednesday or Thursday.

Yesterday (Monday) I introduced my 392 to off-roading with an easy trail, "Last Dollar Road" outside Ridgeway. I did use low range for portions of the trail and the views were great! The Jeep was so much better than my JK last year, just unbelievable really. Went into Telluride for a late lunch after the trail. I have not seen another 392 anywhere in Ouray, Telluride, etc. I have only received one comment about the 392.... from a young guy who recognized the sound and said, "wow you have a scat pack in that Jeep! Sounds awesome!" BTW, only have 1,360 miles on her...

Today, Tuesday, I am headed out to start the Alpine loop from Silverton.... Engineer's Pass and then Cinnamon Pass. Pictures attached are from Last Dollar, yesterday. 392's are definitely a very rare form of wildlife....
Ha! I saw you at Animas Forks on Tuesday! We were stopped and I was walking my dog a ways off the road, saw you at a distance, but you drove towards Silverton before I could get across the field to say hello. My parents were parked next to you in a yellow 2 door Hemi conversion, right by the facilities on the south side!

Small world, sorry I wasn't able to connect, that would have been cool!

SOPMOD

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
TRX, HellCat RedEye, 392............
Looks like we need to get that TRX lined up with my 392 and see what's what at sea level LOL!
We can do that...I'll be back next weekend.
My 392 Wrangler sounds cool but I don't think it will take my TRX.
Maybe your 392 Wrangler is faster than mine...we shall see ;)

OP
OP
A

Asuperheat

Founding Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, may get my but kicked but would be interested to see how it stacks up!

SMC

Founding Member
Reaction score
I am very satisfied with my Silver 392; The last time I saw another 392 being picked up at my dealership in May. A crowd formed to watch the new owner take off; he didn’t disappoint us. My only “gripe” is that my 392 requires a bit more attention to stay centered in the lane (Motor Trend called it “vague” steering), but that could be me "spoiled and lazy" by the lane keeping technology in my daily driver; it's so good you don’t really feel the car doing the steering. While it’s a little more work to drive a 392, it’s worth it -- more smiles per mile, and utility too!
Props to whoever that was that did not disappoint, my kind of folks!

DavyBoy

Founding Member
Jeep 392 of the Month
Reaction score
Current Rides
2021 Rubicon392, 2015 JK Willys Edition, 2014 RAM 1500 Limited, 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8
@DavyBoy the hood decal on the white with the black grille looks FANTASTIC!
Thanks for the compliment! I actually learned about that decal from someone else (with a blue 392) on this forum. I ordered it and took about an hour to complete the application. Black contrasts on a white Jeep really make it stand out more!

I have gained so much from reading these posts on this forum. All this collective experience is so valuable!

Last edited:

DavyBoy

Founding Member
Jeep 392 of the Month
Reaction score
Current Rides
2021 Rubicon392, 2015 JK Willys Edition, 2014 RAM 1500 Limited, 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8
Ha! I saw you at Animas Forks on Tuesday! We were stopped and I was walking my dog a ways off the road, saw you at a distance, but you drove towards Silverton before I could get across the field to say hello. My parents were parked next to you in a yellow 2 door Hemi conversion, right by the facilities on the south side!

Small world, sorry I wasn't able to connect, that would have been cool!
Wow, I am really so disappointed that I drove off too quickly to meet you, and your parents!!! I remember a yellow Jeep, but did not notice the Hemi (if it was marked). Kinda like so many don't immediately notice the 392.

BTW, I was actually coming from Silverton with the intent to do Engineer's Pass. So I was headed back toward Silverton to catch the first cutoff road we saw earlier (just before heading down into Animas Forks) leading to Engineer's Pass. We completed Engineeer's Pass and arrived in Lake City about 5:30pm. I felt it was too late to complete the Alpine Loop by taking Cinnamon Pass into the evening, so we drove a 3 hour loop on the highway back to Ouray. I was so impressed with the 392 on that day going off-road over Engineer's, and then driving highway speeds back on twisting curvy mountain roads along with some long straight-a-ways where I could open it up. What a machine!!! I attached a picture... I hope we get another opportunity to meet!

Attachments

• Engineers Pass.png
    Engineers Pass.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 153
  • Engineers Pass_2.png
    Engineers Pass_2.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 155
Last edited:

White392

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
392, Ram TRX, Ram 2500
Thanks for the compliment! I actually learned about that decal from someone else (with a blue 392) on this forum. I ordered it and took about an hour to complete the application. Black contrasts on a white Jeep really make it stand out more!

I have gained so much from reading these posts on this forum. All this collective experience is so valuable!

White392

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
392, Ram TRX, Ram 2500
Hello, would you mind sharing the part # and the vendor you purchased the decal through? That does look very nice. Great job!

DavyBoy

Founding Member
Jeep 392 of the Month
Reaction score
Current Rides

Meat Head

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3
Thank you OP for the write up. Makes me even more excited to receive our 392. We are currently in Ouray with the current Jeep, but not getting to do anymore trails. Having a charging issue.

0A383B6B-AE8B-4F74-A6A6-0B4F66A3E5EB.jpeg

atxAndi

Reaction score
Current Rides
2020 JT 2021 392 on order

Can you post a pic of the top of your hood showing the full decal? Looks fantastic 💥💥💥

DavyBoy

Founding Member
Jeep 392 of the Month
Reaction score
Current Rides

Attachments

• Last Dollar Road2.png
    Last Dollar Road2.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 142
  • On the Trailer Front.png
    On the Trailer Front.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 144

JD37064

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
Sarge Green 392, Porsche 911 GTS
There are more verified Vin#s than that already by those tracking them. Last I looked they were at 2700+ and building them every day. Still not many when you figure they can build 20K a month.
My local smallish town (120k population) dealer said they have already delivered 9 including mine.

justinB

Reaction score
😁

2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392​

VS​

2021 Ram 1500 TRX​

6.4L V8Baseline Engine6.2L Supercharged V8
470 hp / 470 lb-ftHorsepower / Torque702 hp / 650 lb-ft
High-Capacity TorqueFlite 8HP75 8-Speed AutomaticStandard TransmissionHigh-Capacity TorqueFlite 8HP95 8-Speed Automatic
4.5 Seconds0-60 MPH Speed4.5 Seconds
13 SecondsQuarter-Mile Speed12.9 Seconds

2022 Wrangler 392 - $6,000 OFF MSRP! Granger Motors

Latest Discussions