Few Thoughts on my 392 after 1K

Asuperheat

Founding Member
Reaction score
I have had a chance to put 1,000 miles on my 392 and thought I would share some thoughts.

Shortly before I received my 392 they announced the Recon Extreme package, First thought was great there going to put dana 60's in it and now I have to reorder another and let mine go. Then I realized nope they are doing it with the current axles and I thought WTH really. I was like no way they wont break things with a 4.56 and under a hard TQ launch but no where can I find what the axles are really rated for, only 8 percent stronger than a JK44 is really all I could find.

Fast Forward a week or two and my 392 was delivered. This is my first 6.4 hemi in any vehicle and I must say it does not disappoint. TQ is really amazing and always there from the driving experience. Then I came across a Dyno of a 392 Rubi and it's what you would expect after driving it. with a 3.73 and stock 33's it makes more TQ to the wheel at 2000 rpm than the 3.6 or 2.0 at any RPM. Then I began to understand 3.73 gear was enough even with a tire change and probably yields the best MPG, great performance and the Motor would push even 37's very good with this much power on tap.

As for the 4.56 gears I'm interested to see how the 392 responds to them. At the 392 Launch I thought they missed the mark with the 3.73 and Dana 44 ( expected 4.10 like other Rubis and hoped for dana 60) and I did the math on the stresses the axle would see with lower gears, this motor, and wow its a lot of TQ. Way more than earlier generations would take. I originally came to terms that the axles were maxed out with the 3.73 and it would half to do. Worst case aftermarket LOL! But if the 4.56 proves reliable with this set up then I have options if one day I feel the need.

Looking at a gear chart the 4.56 is a pretty big jump with this much power, more than 300 rpm between the two factory set up's so you get the overall ratio with the bigger tire back and then some more. Two big questions I have what will it do to MPG and is it reliable.

Now to the driving experience:

So far this jeep is everything I hoped it would be then some. I was surprised at the quality of the ride even though I heard it mentioned many times in reviews.

When you jump in the skinny peddle I love they way it reacts! it's dramatic! it gets loud! the rear squats! the front jumps up! and it runs hard! Basically I'm pretty sure it breaks a few rules of nature in the process. Yet when cruising it is almost refined, exhaust closed it actually quiet, ride is good and it handles pretty good for a Jeep.

Torque Launch - Yes, that is Just an experience I think you must have in one of these. They leave the line HARD! Oh what fun.... The auto 4 wheel seems to work great, again these just hook and go! Apply brake, add throttle wait for engine and exhaust to change, release the brake and let it run! ( in a controlled environment of course lol)

I have the sky one touch and to be honest I like it. I don't think it is overly noisy. Originally I was on the fence but I would buy it again. Coming home from a trip I was running 79 MPH with the a/c on and it was not bad at all. Some how got 17.0 MPG on that tank. Pretty sure I had a tail wind most of the way either that or it just loved the highway. Otherwise about 15 MPG so far. Side note, windows down top open seem to make for worse MPG but who cares.

I will say the adaptive cruise is almost a little harsh. Roll up on someone and it will slow pretty quick, go around and well that 392 will get you right back to speed pretty quick.

At the end of the day I'm glad they built it and I'm glad I jumped on the opportunity to own one.

Nice! Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. Post some pics when you can for those of us who remain stuck in D status. 😞

Here is a couple. Don't have many on this laptop. I've been there hang on it will be worth the ride when you do get it.

Attachments

• 21515276-43b9-4704-b7a0-f84bcb714336.jpg
    21515276-43b9-4704-b7a0-f84bcb714336.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 257
  • c1b2acb7-262e-4215-bd92-9cb43986f1f1(1).jpg
    c1b2acb7-262e-4215-bd92-9cb43986f1f1(1).jpg
    198 KB · Views: 267
Here is a couple. Don't have many on this laptop. I've been there hang on it will be worth the ride when you do get it.
Great write up and thanks. I’ve got just 230 miles on mine thus far and I’d have to say it’s truly a great vehicle with smooth ride and plenty of power. I sold my 2013 Jk that was and AEV 392 conversion and there is no comparison to this one from power to especially the ride quality difference. My JK had D60s with 456 gears and with 5 speed auto it ran much higher rpms at highway speeds. This factory 392 is perfect for me with 35’s planned and 373 gears. I too thought about cancelling to get an extreme package but once I drove mine, I’m truly satisfied. I prefer aftermarket wheels anyway so I’ve got mine ordered now. Wicked off-road W903s and 35 12.5 Goodyear ultra terrains..

Great post! Now I think you should get new wheels and sell yours to that guy in Nocatee.

;)

Looking forward to getting mine. We'll have to link up.
Mine will be for sale for sure… I don’t have any plans to keep them in storage as they will never go back on my 392.
Keep me posted on when you get your 392!

Mine will be for sale for sure… I don’t have any plans to keep them in storage as they will never go back on my 392.
Keep me posted on when you get your 392!
Awesome. Just ordered 3 weeks ago so I'll have a wait. Had to get Recon package and I want the og wheels so definitely will need a set.

Great post! Now I think you should get new wheels and sell yours to that guy in Nocatee.

;)

Looking forward to getting mine. We'll have to link up.
Yeah we should do that, Cant be too many in this area. I know when I picked mine up it was actually the first one I had seen in person.

Yeah we should do that, Cant be too many in this area. I know when I picked mine up it was actually the first one I had seen in person.
Same experiences shared.... I picked mine up on May 21st and it was the first one I had seen in person, also! I still have not seen another one on the road anywhere. I am in Wichita Kansas a Jeep loving city... the number of Jeeps here per capita much be way above average. I am headed to Ouray Colorado later today with my 392 and expect to finally see some other 392s on this trip.

Attachments

• On the Trailer2.png
    On the Trailer2.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 385
  • On the Trailer Front.png
    On the Trailer Front.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 381
Same experiences shared.... I picked mine up on May 21st and it was the first one I had seen in person, also! I still have not seen another one on the road anywhere. I am in Wichita Kansas a Jeep loving city... the number of Jeeps here per capita much be way above average. I am headed to Ouray Colorado later today with my 392 and expect to finally see some other 392s on this trip.
Jeep looks good and nice trailer too, White was my first instinct and what I was looking for but when I seen the Hydro up close and personal I jumped ship and second guessed it for a month.

I do like the old school white letters out on the tires.

I am in Colorado and haven't seen any other 392s and currently i am in so california and haven't seen any here either. they are far few and between

I am in Colorado and haven't seen any other 392s and currently i am in so california and haven't seen any here either. they are far few and between
Arrived in Ouray Colorado around 9pm last night. Drove ~787 miles across Kansas through Colorado Springs, and on to Ouray. I saw hundreds of Jeeps. Not a single 392, other than mine. I will update as my week in Jeep heaven unfolds.

I participated twice in the Imogene Pass Run (Ouray to Telluride, 17 miles over the 13,114 foot Imogene Pass summit) and driven the same route three different times. I ran it faster than I drove it but I was more tired when I got to Telluride.

I have had a chance to put 1,000 miles on my 392 and thought I would share some thoughts.

Shortly before I received my 392 they announced the Recon Extreme package, First thought was great there going to put dana 60's in it and now I have to reorder another and let mine go. Then I realized nope they are doing it with the current axles and I thought WTH really. I was like no way they wont break things with a 4.56 and under a hard TQ launch but no where can I find what the axles are really rated for, only 8 percent stronger than a JK44 is really all I could find.

Fast Forward a week or two and my 392 was delivered. This is my first 6.4 hemi in any vehicle and I must say it does not disappoint. TQ is really amazing and always there from the driving experience. Then I came across a Dyno of a 392 Rubi and it's what you would expect after driving it. with a 3.73 and stock 33's it makes more TQ to the wheel at 2000 rpm than the 3.6 or 2.0 at any RPM. Then I began to understand 3.73 gear was enough even with a tire change and probably yields the best MPG, great performance and the Motor would push even 37's very good with this much power on tap.

As for the 4.56 gears I'm interested to see how the 392 responds to them. At the 392 Launch I thought they missed the mark with the 3.73 and Dana 44 ( expected 4.10 like other Rubis and hoped for dana 60) and I did the math on the stresses the axle would see with lower gears, this motor, and wow its a lot of TQ. Way more than earlier generations would take. I originally came to terms that the axles were maxed out with the 3.73 and it would half to do. Worst case aftermarket LOL! But if the 4.56 proves reliable with this set up then I have options if one day I feel the need.

Looking at a gear chart the 4.56 is a pretty big jump with this much power, more than 300 rpm between the two factory set up's so you get the overall ratio with the bigger tire back and then some more. Two big questions I have what will it do to MPG and is it reliable.

Now to the driving experience:

So far this jeep is everything I hoped it would be then some. I was surprised at the quality of the ride even though I heard it mentioned many times in reviews.

When you jump in the skinny peddle I love they way it reacts! it's dramatic! it gets loud! the rear squats! the front jumps up! and it runs hard! Basically I'm pretty sure it breaks a few rules of nature in the process. Yet when cruising it is almost refined, exhaust closed it actually quiet, ride is good and it handles pretty good for a Jeep.

Torque Launch - Yes, that is Just an experience I think you must have in one of these. They leave the line HARD! Oh what fun.... The auto 4 wheel seems to work great, again these just hook and go! Apply brake, add throttle wait for engine and exhaust to change, release the brake and let it run! ( in a controlled environment of course lol)

I have the sky one touch and to be honest I like it. I don't think it is overly noisy. Originally I was on the fence but I would buy it again. Coming home from a trip I was running 79 MPH with the a/c on and it was not bad at all. Some how got 17.0 MPG on that tank. Pretty sure I had a tail wind most of the way either that or it just loved the highway. Otherwise about 15 MPG so far. Side note, windows down top open seem to make for worse MPG but who cares.

I will say the adaptive cruise is almost a little harsh. Roll up on someone and it will slow pretty quick, go around and well that 392 will get you right back to speed pretty quick.

At the end of the day I'm glad they built it and I'm glad I jumped on the opportunity to own one.
We just passed 1k as well - I cannot tell you there is ANYTHING we are not in love with. Could not be happier w/ our purchase so far. This is our 3rd hemi - we were THRILLED to have the hemi in the rubi… could NOT be happier.

I read the other day that they are making only 1000 - less than one per dealer so we likely are not to see many on the road. Mine is the only one I’ve seen while out and about.

I am very satisfied with my Silver 392; The last time I saw another 392 being picked up at my dealership in May. A crowd formed to watch the new owner take off; he didn’t disappoint us. My only “gripe” is that my 392 requires a bit more attention to stay centered in the lane (Motor Trend called it “vague” steering), but that could be me "spoiled and lazy" by the lane keeping technology in my daily driver; it's so good you don’t really feel the car doing the steering. While it’s a little more work to drive a 392, it’s worth it -- more smiles per mile, and utility too!

I am very satisfied with my Silver 392; The last time I saw another 392 being picked up at my dealership in May. A crowd formed to watch the new owner take off; he didn’t disappoint us. My only “gripe” is that my 392 requires a bit more attention to stay centered in the lane (Motor Trend called it “vague” steering), but that could be me "spoiled and lazy" by the lane keeping technology in my daily driver; it's so good you don’t really feel the car doing the steering. While it’s a little more work to drive a 392, it’s worth it -- more smiles per mile, and utility too!
You are correct on the steering - there is ZERO play in the steering. FIRST thing I noticed as we drove it home. It has taken some getting used to for sure.

I participated twice in the Imogene Pass Run (Ouray to Telluride, 17 miles over the 13,114 foot Imogene Pass summit) and driven the same route three different times. I ran it faster than I drove it but I was more tired when I got to Telluride.
Very impressed with running Imogene, on foot! I am still debating if I will drive Imogene on Wednesday or Thursday.

Yesterday (Monday) I introduced my 392 to off-roading with an easy trail, "Last Dollar Road" outside Ridgeway. I did use low range for portions of the trail and the views were great! The Jeep was so much better than my JK last year, just unbelievable really. Went into Telluride for a late lunch after the trail. I have not seen another 392 anywhere in Ouray, Telluride, etc. I have only received one comment about the 392.... from a young guy who recognized the sound and said, "wow you have a scat pack in that Jeep! Sounds awesome!" BTW, only have 1,360 miles on her...

Today, Tuesday, I am headed out to start the Alpine loop from Silverton.... Engineer's Pass and then Cinnamon Pass. Pictures attached are from Last Dollar, yesterday. 392's are definitely a very rare form of wildlife....

Attachments

• Last Dollar Road2.png
    Last Dollar Road2.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 279
  • Last Dollar Road.png
    Last Dollar Road.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 287
Last edited:
Question for this post. Someone said they read there 1,000 being built. Can you point me to the source of that article? Thank you!

Question for this post. Someone said they read there 1,000 being built. Can you point me to the source of that article? Thank you!
There are more verified Vin#s than that already by those tracking them. Last I looked they were at 2700+ and building them every day. Still not many when you figure they can build 20K a month.

Back