Exposed Oil Pan and Protruding Oil Pan Plug?

PlumCrazy392

Reaction score
Current Rides
Stock 392
Looks like they may have installed the oil pan for Challengers and Chargers. Hopefully there is a recall to change our oil pans to one designed for our 392 Jeeps.
Since the Challenger oil pan mine came with is functional, do you think Jeep will treat this as a no charge recall?

OP
CBH

CBH

Founding Member
Reaction score
Since the Challenger oil pan mine came with is functional, do you think Jeep will treat this as a no charge recall?
I doubt it. My opinion is based on our recent experience with early 392s arriving with the wrong inner tailgate specifications plate. Jeep corrected this for all 392s built after 21 June with the correct bronze 392 plate and then stated they would not offer any support on this issue for those who received their 392s prior to 21 June. I guess Jeep has the right to make modifications throughout the production cycle without any commitment to bring earlier production models up to date with the new mods, unless the change involves a Safety Issue. I don’t believe my “low hanging” oil pan is a safety issue unless I tear it off rock crawling and then die of exposure because I was unable to return from my adventure alive.

byhumba

Founding Member
Jeep 392 of the Month
Reaction score
I doubt it. My opinion is based on our recent experience with early 392s arriving with the wrong inner tailgate specifications plate. Jeep corrected this for all 392s built after 21 June with the correct bronze 392 plate and then stated they would not offer any support on this issue for those who received their 392s prior to 21 June. I guess Jeep has the right to make modifications throughout the production cycle without any commitment to bring earlier production models up to date with the new mods, unless the change involves a Safety Issue. I don’t believe my “low hanging” oil pan is a safety issue unless I tear it off rock crawling and then die of exposure because I was unable to return from my adventure alive.
Agree. However, this is not a cosmetic issue as it was with the plate. They just might do a recall if they start getting a lot of cracked pans under warranty, and/or if they realize they made a mistake...if any was made...by installing our long hanging pan with that bolt facing down. We'll see.

Jeepstin392

Reaction score
Current Rides
2017 Jeep GC SRT, 2021 Jeep Wrangler 392, 2021 BMW M340i XDrive, 2018 Mini Cooper S "7"
I may just plug the OEM drain hole and drill/tap a drain access on the side. Easy fix.

Battle Rattle

Reaction score
Current Rides
19 JLUR, 20 JLR, 06 LJ, '99 LC100
SO..... we just spoke with Scott at Jeep........ the bolt pattern is different betweeen the two oil pans. The $800 dealer quote? thats likely not going to go anywhere once the dealer realizes their oversight. Early production has a hellcat bolt pattern and new production they went with the standard hemi bolt pattern. It appears currently there is no bolt in upgrade/swap available. We just gave our 392 skids a dedicated page and added a "identify your oil pan" section. We will also be updating the page with any additional data we get. You chan check it here: Next Venture Motorsports 392 skids and info
-Hunter

OP
CBH

CBH

Founding Member
Reaction score
Agree. However, this is not a cosmetic issue as it was with the plate. They just might do a recall if they start getting a lot of cracked pans under warranty, and/or if they realize they made a mistake...if any was made...by installing our long hanging pan with that bolt facing down. We'll see
Agree. However, this is not a cosmetic issue as it was with the plate. They just might do a recall if they start getting a lot of cracked pans under warranty, and/or if they realize they made a mistake...if any was made...by installing our long hanging pan with that bolt facing down. We'll see.

I agree this is not a cosmetic issue to Jeep owners when you consider what some Jeep enthusiasts do with their Jeeps; however, I don’t believe Jeep will do anything to help those who have the low hanging oil pan because: 1) I believe Jeep (Stellantis) is no different than most other vehicle manufacturers who don’t want to spend extra money on sold vehicles; 2) I don’t believe Jeep “Warranty Lawyers” will consider cracked oil pans while rock crawling a warrantied item; 3) I don’t think there will be enough 392 cracked oil pans to matter to Jeep because: a) there won’t be that many 392s sold compared to the volume of other Jeep models; b) only a limited percentage (my guess) of owners will take their 392s to places that could threaten the oil pan; and, c) real Jeep off-roaders will likely invest in underbody protection before they venture out. I’m not holding my breath for Jeep to act on this issue.

zmpm01

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
2021 392, 72 CJ5, 2001 MK23 MTVR, 2005 RAM SRT-10 CE, 2006 Liberty CRD, 2016 RAM 2500 CRD
FAQ at the New Venture Motorsports site:

Can I swap in a newer style oil pain?
No, unfortunately the bolt pattern for the oil pans are not a match. Early production have a hellcat bolt pattern, and the later style use a standard hemi bolt pattern.

I found this at the New Venture Motorsports site looking at Belly Skid Plate Systems, Not sure it's true but I would look into it before purchasing a new $800 oil pan, I find it odd and hard to believe, that the 392 has a Hellcat bolt pattern WTF?

OP
CBH

CBH

Founding Member
Reaction score
My oil pan looks different...
Did you happen to see a Part Number stamped on your the oil pan when you took the picture? Assuming the bolt patterns are the same on both of our engines, I would be interested in upgrading my oil pan. Thanks.

WYAZ392

Founding Member
Reaction score

No, unfortunately the bolt pattern for the oil pans are not a match. Early production have a hellcat bolt pattern, and the later style use a standard hemi bolt pattern.

I found this at the New Venture Motorsports site looking at Belly Skid Plate Systems, Not sure it's true but I would look into it before purchasing a new $800 oil pan, I find it odd and hard to believe, that the 392 has a Hellcat bolt pattern WTF?
Yeah, doubt that's true, not sure why they're saying that. That would mean a different bolt pattern on the block itself, and the oil pans on the hellcat cars are likely all front sump so this isn't their oil pan either...

Battle Rattle

Reaction score
Current Rides
19 JLUR, 20 JLR, 06 LJ, '99 LC100
Yeah, doubt that's true, not sure why they're saying that. That would mean a different bolt pattern on the block itself, and the oil pans on the hellcat cars are likely all front sump so this isn't their oil pan either...
Dunno. That could be true. Scott asked us to post the info to prevent any confusion which is why we threw the info up. My advice, if you find an oil pan that you think fits, just double verify that bolt pattern before you buy.

WYAZ392

Founding Member
Reaction score
Dunno. That could be true. Scott asked us to post the info to prevent any confusion which is why we threw the info up. My advice, if you find an oil pan that you think fits, just double verify that bolt pattern before you buy.
Worth the check for sure. A quick check of the oil pan gasket for both might do the trick. If it's the same PN there...

OP
CBH

CBH

Founding Member
Reaction score

Does anyone have an thoughts on how resilient an aluminum oil pan is compared to a stamped steel oil pan, (even without knowing the thicknesses of the two). For example, when struck with a hard object, will an aluminum oil pan tend to crack open, rather than dent, compared to a stamped steel oil pan?

byhumba

Founding Member
Jeep 392 of the Month
Reaction score
Does anyone have an thoughts on how resilient an aluminum oil pan is compared to a stamped steel oil pan, (even without knowing the thicknesses of the two). For example, when struck with a hard object, will an aluminum oil pan tend to crack open, rather than dent, compared to a stamped steel oil pan?
Aluminum alloys are so strong today. Sadly, s strong as they are, aluminum cracks with hard enough impacts due to its nature.

OP
CBH

CBH

Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I thought. So, swapping out oil pans is not an option, according to New Venture Motorsports; I am not keen on full under body protection; I guess I will wait for some company to offer separate oil pan protection. Fortunately, here in Florida we don't have a lot of rocks to crawl over.

zmpm01

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
2021 392, 72 CJ5, 2001 MK23 MTVR, 2005 RAM SRT-10 CE, 2006 Liberty CRD, 2016 RAM 2500 CRD
I really think the JLU 392 bolt pattern on the block is the same for early and late 2021 - 392's It's hard to believe that Jeep could make a change that fast in a production run, it's just going to take some investigation work to figure out what pan will work! don't forget the trucks use a variant of the 392, and the after market has been putting the Hemi in Jeep's for years. Where there is a will there is a way..

OP
CBH

CBH

Founding Member
Reaction score
Next Venture Motosports is making a full skid belly pan out of aluminum. They say that the net weight gain after removing the factory plates is 15-20 pounds. Cost is around $2500, $750 more than steel one. I figure the weight savings and not having to hauling around an extra 275 pounds with a steel skid plate is enough to justify that.
FYI: I asked New Venture Motorsports if they offered a standalone Oil Pan Guard. Their response was: "Due to unprecedented demand, we are currently only offering those plates as part of our full skid system. While we may introduce modularity to the system eventually, we do not have a timeline currently as to when that might be."

RKKRAWL

Reaction score
Current Rides
2021 Rubicon 392
Part # for the pan is 53011194AF ($802) but for which one? It is coming up for both the new and old style pan vehicles.....go figure. Also there is no pan gasket, just RTV, nothings easy...

Last edited:

Comac90

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
392s on order

Attachments

• A4DE7110-437F-4E69-969C-9B3713567A0A.jpeg
    A4DE7110-437F-4E69-969C-9B3713567A0A.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 59

jkehoe

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
2021 JLU Rubicon 392, 2016 JKUHR rubicon, 2008 JKU Sahara
I had my 392 out at the Holly Michigan ORV park in April and ran into a Jeep engineer who was part of the design evaluation. They did the Rubicon trail with a few of them. And to quote him "I can't say or not say that we sheared off a few of the oil plugs, but don't be surprised if it's not changed on the 2022". Jeep was aware very early that this was a major design flaw and moved to fix quickly. I wouldn't be surprised to see one available for our 2021s as a silent recall or TSB.