Do you need mopar oversized tire carrier?

reloexprt

Reaction score
Current Rides
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392
Hi everyone,
My new 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392 is sitting in Nashville and hopefully put on a truck soon to be shipped to Huntsville. I've read a lot about this and I did add the Mopar Hinge Gate Reinforcement but I'm learning that some of you that have gone to 35's have had issues with wheel fitting on bumper and some of you haven't. Do you for sure need to get the Mopar oversized tire carrier that complements the Mopar hinge gate reinforcement? I've ordered 315/70/17 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT's and they are only about 11lbs per tire more than the stock 33 inch Falken Wildpeak MT's. Will it be okay? Thanks for any advice you can lend.

I have this sitting in my garage and just want to know if I need it.

2018-2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Oversize Spare Carrier Mounting Bracket Kit Mopar OEM - Mopar (82215355)​

Thank you!

Hi everyone,
My new 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392 is sitting in Nashville and hopefully put on a truck soon to be shipped to Huntsville. I've read a lot about this and I did add the Mopar Hinge Gate Reinforcement but I'm learning that some of you that have gone to 35's have had issues with wheel fitting on bumper and some of you haven't. Do you for sure need to get the Mopar oversized tire carrier that complements the Mopar hinge gate reinforcement? I've ordered 315/70/17 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT's and they are only about 11lbs per tire more than the stock 33 inch Falken Wildpeak MT's. Will it be okay? Thanks for any advice you can lend.
I put BFG 35 x 12.5" on after market 17x9.5" wheels. The tires fit on the stock spare tire mount, but the spare was ~.125" above the rear stock bumper. Therefore, I added the Mopar OEM JL oversize spare carrier mounting kit which raised the tire about 1.5 inches. Works great, except my rear backup passenger side sensor often beeped because it was seeing the spare tire. Eventually, that problem just went away, so either it learned automatically or I received a UConnect update. I don't know which.... Regardless I am very satisfied with the Mopar carrier bracket. I don't know the part number, but will look it up when I get home tonight to verify it is the same. BTW, I have the reinforced tailgate option also.

Attachments

• Jeep392Spare.PNG
    Jeep392Spare.PNG
    783.8 KB · Views: 400
Thank you DavyBoy. I plan to put the 315/70/17 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT's on stock wheels and I believe they are 17 x 7.5. Do you think because I'm not going aftermarket for the wheels I may be okay without it? I have heard about the backup sensor issues. I was hoping to learn if it will rest nicely barely on the bumper without it because the weight should only be about 11 additional pounds. I was told my jeep is in Informal Hold, In Transit Repair right now at the yard. Oh gosh.

Thank you DavyBoy. I plan to put the 315/70/17 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT's on stock wheels and I believe they are 17 x 7.5. Do you think because I'm not going aftermarket for the wheels I may be okay without it? I have heard about the backup sensor issues. I was hoping to learn if it will rest nicely barely on the bumper without it because the weight should only be about 11 additional pounds. I was told my jeep is in Informal Hold, In Transit Repair right now at the yard. Oh gosh.
Transit repair? Hopefully that doesn’t mean what it sounds like…yikes.

Reloexprt, the part number you have is the exact same kit I installed on my 392. I think it will work well for you.

Your 315/70/17 MT Baja Boss AT tires are only slightly smaller than my 35/12.5/17 BFGs. Keep in mind that the recommended wheel for your tires is a 17 x 8" or greater so the stock wheels at 7.5" width are a half inch more narrow than recommended. There are multiple threads on this forum where many people discuss and have installed 35s and 37s on the stock 392 wheels. Given all the information I have seen, I think you will be in good shape with the 315/70/17 tires on the stock 17 x 7.5" wheels, and I believe the Mopar oversize spare carrier will work well for you. You do not want the tires resting on the bumper, even barely, because on a rough road they can rub on the bumper and cause damage to the plastic insert, especially if you plan to take it off-road. The oversize carrier is easy to install and will definitely keep your spare off the bumper. I suggest you read some of the threads on this forum about tires/wheels while you wait for yours to arrive.... makes the time go by faster!

Congratulations on you almost delivered 392! Be sure to post pictures when you get it.....

Attachments

• Jeep392SpareSpacing.png
    Jeep392SpareSpacing.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 253
  • Jeep392SpareSpacing2.png
    Jeep392SpareSpacing2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Reloexprt, the part number you have is the exact same kit I installed on my 392. I think it will work well for you.

Your 315/70/17 MT Baja Boss AT tires are only slightly smaller than my 35/12.5/17 BFGs. Keep in mind that the recommended wheel for your tires is a 17 x 8" or greater so the stock wheels at 7.5" width are a half inch more narrow than recommended. There are multiple threads on this forum where many people discuss and have installed 35s and 37s on the stock 392 wheels. Given all the information I have seen, I think you will be in good shape with the 315/70/17 tires on the stock 17 x 7.5" wheels, and I believe the Mopar oversize spare carrier will work well for you. You do not want the tires resting on the bumper, even barely, because on a rough road they can rub on the bumper and cause damage to the plastic insert, especially if you plan to take it off-road. The oversize carrier is easy to install and will definitely keep your spare off the bumper. I suggest you read some of the threads on this forum about tires/wheels while you wait for yours to arrive.... makes the time go by faster!

Congratulations on you almost delivered 392! Be sure to post pictures when you get it.....
Thank you DavyBoy.

Hi everyone,
Mopar also has a large tire adapter for the mount, it's in their catalog. I have it on my 392 with 37" MT2's. Mopar 82215355 oversize spare tire carrier

Attachments

• IMG_4027.jpg
    IMG_4027.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 325
Thank you. Unfortunately my Rubicon 392 was delivered to the rail yard with an electrical problem which has still not been figured out. It’s been at a local dealership near the rail yard for a few weeks now. So I decided I don’t want that vehicle and they ordered another one and are helping out with rental car. Eighteen weeks and counting. But at least I got to add the Xtreme Recon package.

I went with one from MP Concepts that includes the hinge support as well as the relocator for raising the spare. Looks great and easy to install; and, I thought the price was very reasonable too. It has an indentation for a badge from the company that turns out to be a perfect diameter for the gold factory fender Trail Rated badge. I bought one off of a seller on eBay and it looks great. Here is a link on where I purchased the tire carrier kit: https://www.extremeterrain.com/mp-c...re-tire-carrier-mount-bracket-j137874-jl.html

tire carrier.jpg

Hi everyone,
I slapped on some 35 BFG KM3s on it without anything but the hinge gate reinforcement. No issues.

Attachments

• CDC53D4D-308B-4E85-A2B7-9EE37BBA78B0.jpeg
    CDC53D4D-308B-4E85-A2B7-9EE37BBA78B0.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 433
  • F18F4457-BAC0-4D37-95D5-21A58E779993.jpeg
    F18F4457-BAC0-4D37-95D5-21A58E779993.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 261
I slapped on some 35 BFG KM3s on it without anything but the hinge gate reinforcement. No issues.
Does anyone know how much weight you can add to the spare tire/carrier with the Extreme Recon package? I know as part of that package they include the upgraded hinges, etc.
thanks

Smittybuilt relocation bracket works perfect. No sensor issue's and it's way cheaper than Mopar or anything else I looked at.

Hi everyone,

Last edited:

Hello. I have a question since u seem o be he right person to ask.
will Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T Radial Tire in LT315/70R17 fit the regular 392.
thank you so much for the help

7% off 2024 Jeep Wrangler 392 Granger Motors Just Bolt Ons.com MARK CDJR in Lake Charles Louisiana Underground Graphics

Latest Discussions

Back