Digital Rearview Mirror -aftermarket options?

thexr6

Reaction score
Current Rides
2007 JK Rubicon, 2021 GCL Overland, 2022 JL 392 AEV 370
i’ve always accepted that the wrangler with its hard top on has limited view out the back window.

With my JK, not a big deal as I run that topless and naked most of the year, but the 392 different story – the top will never come off with the increasing overland options (tire carrier w 37s block most of view and about to order AAL MASS system which will block out the remaining line of sight) I keep adding.

However, I’ve now been spoiled with my Grand Cherokee - it has an OEM digital rearview mirror. Went at first I found it a little bit uncomfortable to use, I now greatly prefer over the old-school analog option. It’d also be a good work around to the blocked view with the wrangler.

All that being said, has anyone used or actually seen in person an aftermarket option, or even an OEM option with an aftermarket installation of a digital rear view mirror for the Wrangler??
i found this one at Quadratec -any real world use / feedback?
thx!

Last edited:
i’ve always excepted that the wrangler with its hard top on has limited view out the back window.

With my JK, not a big deal as I run that topless and naked most of the year, but the 392 different story – the top will never come off with the increasing overland options (tire carrier w 37s block most of view and about to order AAL MASS system which will block out the remaining line of sight) I keep adding.

However, I’ve now been spoiled with my Grand Cherokee - it has an OEM digital rearview mirror. Went at first I found it a little bit uncomfortable to use, I now greatly prefer over the old-school analog option. It’d also be a good work around to the blocked view with the wrangler.

All that being said, has anyone used or actually seen in person an aftermarket option, or even an OEM option with an aftermarket installation of a digital rear view mirror for the Wrangler??
i found this one at Quadratec -any real world use / feedback?
thx!
I installed this one:

I like it - you can dim it at night but it's still a little too bright I just turn it off. It's bigger than the stock mirror.

I'd add that the camera is mounted inside of the spare tire, so there's a little bit of movement going down the road, not horrible, but it does move when you're driving.

Attachments

• IMG_0359.jpeg
    IMG_0359.jpeg
    295.2 KB · Views: 46
I installed this one:

I like it - you can dim it at night but it's still a little too bright I just turn it off. It's bigger than the stock mirror.

I'd add that the camera is mounted inside of the spare tire, so there's a little bit of movement going down the road, not horrible, but it does move when you're driving.
Thanks for the tip
Ordered and received.
Installation questions:
Because the factory mirror is not window mounted, did you remove the digital display from the included window mount and push it onto the factory ball head? (Worried about breaking it if i just pull on it)
Also- would rubber washers or something address the shake you described while driving?

Thanks for the tip
Ordered and received.
Installation questions:
Because the factory mirror is not window mounted, did you remove the digital display from the included window mount and push it onto the factory ball head? (Worried about breaking it if i just pull on it)
Also- would rubber washers or something address the shake you described while driving?
Wish I had more install info but I had my local car audio shop install it so I’m not sure how they did it.

Re: camera “bouncyness” - I think it’s just the options of placement and the spare tire placement is the most obvious and still the best spot to put it. If you were to drill it into the hardtop it’s up high and the spare may block some of your field of view - however in retrospect I probably would’ve had it installed into the hardtop. Not a huge deal but the camera does move a little with the spare tire. But it does what it’s supposed to do where it is now and you can see everything behind you.

Wish I had more install info but I had my local car audio shop install it so I’m not sure how they did it.

Re: camera “bouncyness” - I think it’s just the options of placement and the spare tire placement is the most obvious and still the best spot to put it. If you were to drill it into the hardtop it’s up high and the spare may block some of your field of view - however in retrospect I probably would’ve had it installed into the hardtop. Not a huge deal but the camera does move a little with the spare tire. But it does what it’s supposed to do where it is now and you can see everything behind you.
Thank you!

Back