Diesel Jeep vs. Jeep 392

BenLandry

Founding Member
Reaction score
I know some you on this forum dumped a diesel for a 392 and others probably thought about a diesel Jeep at some point, I’ve never had the pleasure of driving one. I just met one at a red light with a similar set up…big tires/rims/lift etc. Well I didn’t exactly meet him, I saw him weaving in and out of traffic and punching it at a red lights, so I just deliberately caught up. He starts talking to me about how quick his Jeep was and asked to compare at the next red light as we were in traffic at the time. The next red light the best we could do was he in front and I was directly behind him, his Jeep lifted up, holding break pressure, I didn’t hold break pressure. Needless to say I smoked him from the 2 hole. Next red light we were both together and I did a torque launch and blew his doors off. I don’t know about the comparison on the trails but on the highway there is no comparison, not even close, I had to stop for him to catch up. I love this Jeep.

On road is where the 392 shines in my opinion. I know it is very capable offroad, but really don't need the power offroad unless you are doing sand dunes maybe. On road, it is just wonderful. With almost twice the HP of the diesel, what else could you expect......

I did consider the diesel and the 4xe, but so glad I went with the 392. The diesel has gobs of torque and I bet it drives nicely on the highway. Probably able to keep up speed going uphill without downshifting, but not a lot of power in reserve for passing. 260hp is 260hp after all.

The new diesels are strangled with EPA garbage. Particulate filters, EGR, DEF, etc. Too much maintenance and too much to go wrong. The older fully mechanical diesels are more reliable and easier to maintain.

Thanks for the write up. I love the 392 as well. Hands down, my favorite vehicle out of all the vehicles I have ever owned. It is just a BOSS on the road. Benign looks (everyone knows Jeeps are slow), menacing sound, sitting up high for commanding view of the road, and wicked power all make for a great on road experience.

I was so disappointed with the power of the diesel that I ended up buying my 3.6 Manual Rubicon. Needless to say, I’m also very underwhelmed with the 3.6 but at least the stick makes it more fun to drive. After driving the diesel and driving my current Grand Cherokee SRT, I am beyond confident that there is no comparison between the diesel wrangler and the 392. None whatsoever. Unless you want to pay more for fuel and have worse acceleration, and save a few grand at purchase, just get the 392. I have heard no complaints of it being worse off-road. If you know how to manage the skinny pedal, you’ll have exactly what you need, exactly when you need it with the V8.

Got rid of a lifted eco diesel in October 2021 due to life changes and it hurt. Told myself I wouldn’t buy a vehicle until I could get another jeep. Time came where I could get another jeep and what did I do, I ordered a 22 392 on April 11th lol. I expect the 392 to be a lot more fun from reading the forum.

Got rid of a lifted eco diesel in October 2021 due to life changes and it hurt. Told myself I wouldn’t buy a vehicle until I could get another jeep. Time came where I could get another jeep and what did I do, I ordered a 22 392 on April 11th lol. I expect the 392 to be a lot more fun from reading the forum.
You won’t be disappointed, very different animal. Where in Tx are you. I’m in Conroe.

You won’t be disappointed, very different animal. Where in Tx are you. I’m in Conroe.
Awesome to hear! Nice I’m in San Antonio my man. Yea I’m glad I got my order in before they halted the 2022 orders. Got my Von and Vin the next day and have started the “D” status wait now. Fun times ahead with the long build process lol.

I know some you on this forum dumped a diesel for a 392 and others probably thought about a diesel Jeep at some point, I’ve never had the pleasure of driving one. I just met one at a red light with a similar set up…big tires/rims/lift etc. Well I didn’t exactly meet him, I saw him weaving in and out of traffic and punching it at a red lights, so I just deliberately caught up. He starts talking to me about how quick his Jeep was and asked to compare at the next red light as we were in traffic at the time. The next red light the best we could do was he in front and I was directly behind him, his Jeep lifted up, holding break pressure, I didn’t hold break pressure. Needless to say I smoked him from the 2 hole. Next red light we were both together and I did a torque launch and blew his doors off. I don’t know about the comparison on the trails but on the highway there is no comparison, not even close, I had to stop for him to catch up. I love this Jeep.
What tires/gear ratio do you have? I'm sure you have said it a few times but too many people on here for me to keep track of.

Ben,

As you know my set up on my 392 my Glad is a diesel with Dana 60's with 4.88's so it has more low end gear than stock when you do the math and has 39.5" KM3's

the pedal commander wakes the diesel up big time, so much that when the eco upgrade became available I didn't waste the money.

the diesel is no 392 but is night and day from the regular six banger and the pedal commander makes a hug difference on the diesel.

I spend a bad day with a hot chic and a good day with a smoking chic. the 6 banger was like being with an average chic.

I picked up a 2 door Recon 2020 that they only built for a year and it has the 4 banger turbo. I have the pedal commander on that of course also and with the 4.10 it comes with it moves out real good and has the most unbelievable turning radius of any vehicle I have ever owned.

Hats off to Fiat, they have listened to their customers and delivered what they have been asking for.

I have an M8 that collects dust in the garage, my only complaint is the Apple Car Play I wish I could rip out of the Jeep. On my first trip it took me 5 hours out of the way as it has an internal battle with the Jeeps nav or maybe my iPhones gps I don't know but same thing happened on my launch Gladiator. and the cell side when I have apple car play activated people complain reception sucks etc.

Besides that small issue I am a happy camper with three of their products which is pretty impressive.

37x13.5x20 Nitto Trail Grapplers on Fuel Rebels. I have a non XR, that I regeared to 4:56 before the XR was announced.
Would you regear if adding 35s? I'm thinking about lifting 3" and adding 35s but wondering which ratio would be best for these upgrades.

Back