Depreciation limits

ek01

Reaction score
Looking for some info/feedback from business owners out there. I always thought that vehicles with GVWR greater than 6,000 pounds are not subject to the annual depreciation caps. However, Jeep's web site currently has this:
1664209984885.png

...and looks like the 392 is not included. I know that the 392 has a GVWR of 6,100 lbs, so it should quality.

Does anyone know what's up with this?

Looking for some info/feedback from business owners out there. I always thought that vehicles with GVWR greater than 6,000 pounds are not subject to the annual depreciation caps. However, Jeep's web site currently has this:
View attachment 7220
...and looks like the 392 is not included. I know that the 392 has a GVWR of 6,100 lbs, so it should quality.

Fortunately, i look to Stellantis to make cool rigs for me to buy, and not to provide me/my biz tax advice.

View attachment 7220

As a CPA, but one that doesn’t work with taxes anymore, I’d suggest talking to your accountant. Everyone’s situation is different depending on facts and circumstances and fucking it up can have consequences. Without seeing your return I don’t think anyone on here would be able to give you proper advice.

All,

My question has nothing to do with taxation, speaking to accountants, etc. Who'd be dumb enough to look for tax/ accounting advice on an Internet forum?

My actual question was (and is) - if anyone knows why Rubicon Ecodiesel and all Wrangler 4XE models are included and the 392 isn't, considering that Jeep's own web site, as well as Edmunds and Car & Driver list the GVVR of the 392 at 6,100 Lbs. There is even a thread on the "other" forum about the GVWR for the 392 back in 2020, but no final answer was given. Does anyone know what the actual GVWR for the 392 is?

All,

My question has nothing to do with taxation, speaking to accountants, etc. Who'd be dumb enough to look for tax/ accounting advice on an Internet forum?

My actual question was (and is) - if anyone knows why Rubicon Ecodiesel and all Wrangler 4XE models are included and the 392 isn't, considering that Jeep's own web site, as well as Edmunds and Car & Driver list the GVVR of the 392 at 6,100 Lbs. There is even a thread on the "other" forum about the GVWR for the 392 back in 2020, but no final answer was given. Does anyone know what the actual GVWR for the 392 is?
I'll give it a shot. The gladiator in the photo is from an old 2020/21 advertisement. So the webpage you looked at probably originally dated to around the same time frame. When I was looking at ordering a 2022 392 I found 3 errors on their webpage. I contacted Jeep and received a thank you response and they fixed all 3 errors. The same probably goes for the page you are looking at. They like to cut and paste pages to save time, and no one thought to add the 392 to the list. If you contact them, I'm sure they will fix it for you.

I would agree with you that it is odd that the 392 is not on that list. I haven’t looked it up, but I’m sure the standard V6 falls below the 6000 pound rating. I’m betting both the diesel and the 4xe are above 6000 pounds based on the weight of the diesel engine and the weight of the battery pack on the 4xe.

I have a 392 XR and the GVWR is 6100 pounds. I also am no tax attorney or accountant, but the 392 should therefore qualify for the more “liberal“ depreciation limits than does a vehicle weighing under 6000 pounds. As I’m sure you know, this is why many realtors and other business types drove Hummers around back in the day because they were heavy enough to qualify for the more liberal depreciation limits.

As you may know, GVW of 6000 lbs is the tipping point for Section 179, assuming actual business use. I would call my cpa to have them verify it qualifies, like the Gladiator does, and provide them with docs on 392 GVW.

I'll give it a shot. The gladiator in the photo is from an old 2020/21 advertisement. So the webpage you looked at probably originally dated to around the same time frame. When I was looking at ordering a 2022 392 I found 3 errors on their webpage. I contacted Jeep and received a thank you response and they fixed all 3 errors. The same probably goes for the page you are looking at. They like to cut and paste pages to save time, and no one thought to add the 392 to the list. If you contact them, I'm sure they will fix it for you.
Wasted about 45 min today trying to contact Jeep. Started with the Jeep chat. Showed them both pages (the specs page for 392 and the Small Business incentives page) and asked which one is correct. After many minutes of processing, the person told me to call Stellantis incentives line and gave me a number. I called that number and asked the same question. A nice man named Justin told me they "don't handle this" and told me to call customer care. I called customer care, went through about 3 levels of menus and was asked for my VIN. I didn't want to look for my VIN, so I selected " I don't have a VIN". The menu entered an endless loop after after 2 iterations gave me a prompt with something "We hope your concern has been answered, thank you for contacting Stellantis". I wasn't shocked or anything, but definitely annoyed. Went back to the Jeep chat and spoke to another person that had no idea how to handle the issue or who to escalate it to. Totally useless.

How exactly did you contact Jeep and have them fix the errors?

Wasted about 45 min today trying to contact Jeep. Started with the Jeep chat. Showed them both pages (the specs page for 392 and the Small Business incentives page) and asked which one is correct. After many minutes of processing, the person told me to call Stellantis incentives line and gave me a number. I called that number and asked the same question. A nice man named Justin told me they "don't handle this" and told me to call customer care. I called customer care, went through about 3 levels of menus and was asked for my VIN. I didn't want to look for my VIN, so I selected " I don't have a VIN". The menu entered an endless loop after after 2 iterations gave me a prompt with something "We hope your concern has been answered, thank you for contacting Stellantis". I wasn't shocked or anything, but definitely annoyed. Went back to the Jeep chat and spoke to another person that had no idea how to handle the issue or who to escalate it to. Totally useless.

How exactly did you contact Jeep and have them fix the errors?
Here is the email address I sent it to: [email protected]

I don’t know as I won’t find out until next year but my accountant said Wednesday as we were finishing up taxes for 2021 that I could deprecate my 392 for my farm business as it met federal guidelines. I do use it to pick up hay for my horses and other work while pulling a trailer. I guess I’ll find our in 2022.

Isn't the "official" GVWR on the plate inside the door?

Back