Considering a "gamble" here...

YulonCornelius

Reaction score
Current Rides
2016 JK Rubicon, 2021 TRD Pro 4R, 2021 Supra GR
So before the stones and tomatoes fly... yes, I was very stupid and gave up my 392 order :confused:
I couldn't get any info from my local dealer for months on status, estimated ETA, anything. After waiting since the official announcement date and order books opened, I had the very first order at one of central Texas' largest dealers.

But after many, many, many long months of waiting and zero info from the dealer, my trigger finger just got too itchy and I needed to purchase (also had FE Bronco reserved as backup plan.) With the delays from Ford, and nothing from my dealer, I saw a Lunar Rock TRD Pro 4Runner at my local Toyota. Loved it and thought - "this'll do for now."

Two weeks later my Jeep dealer called and said my 392 was on the way. I very, very reluctantly told them they could release it. I've regretted it ever since.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 4Runner. It's just like, good. Al around "good." But it has no character. None. Zero. I miss my '18 MOAB every day. I miss every quirk and annoyance about it. It's a Jeep thing, right?

Anyways, I know it's going to happen. I'm a Jeep guy through and through. I thought I could wait and order a '22. Add the Recon pkg and it's a done deal. Here's my dilemma: right now, the TRD Pro is worth over $5K OVER original sticker - I didn't even pay sticker, so it's a great time to make a deal. Here's the gamble: I'd rather wait for the '22 MY but have no idea when those orders open. (the same local dealer is champing at the bit to make a deal now to order a '21. I haven't contacted other dealers yet.) So, do I wait and risk this used car bubble bursting in a few months and hold off for the '22? Or just say screw it and jump now?

So before the stones and tomatoes fly... yes, I was very stupid and gave up my 392 order :confused:
I couldn't get any info from my local dealer for months on status, estimated ETA, anything. After waiting since the official announcement date and order books opened, I had the very first order at one of central Texas' largest dealers.

But after many, many, many long months of waiting and zero info from the dealer, my trigger finger just got too itchy and I needed to purchase (also had FE Bronco reserved as backup plan.) With the delays from Ford, and nothing from my dealer, I saw a Lunar Rock TRD Pro 4Runner at my local Toyota. Loved it and thought - "this'll do for now."

Two weeks later my Jeep dealer called and said my 392 was on the way. I very, very reluctantly told them they could release it. I've regretted it ever since.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 4Runner. It's just like, good. Al around "good." But it has no character. None. Zero. I miss my '18 MOAB every day. I miss every quirk and annoyance about it. It's a Jeep thing, right?

Anyways, I know it's going to happen. I'm a Jeep guy through and through. I thought I could wait and order a '22. Add the Recon pkg and it's a done deal. Here's my dilemma: right now, the TRD Pro is worth over $5K OVER original sticker - I didn't even pay sticker, so it's a great time to make a deal. Here's the gamble: I'd rather wait for the '22 MY but have no idea when those orders open. (the same local dealer is champing at the bit to make a deal now to order a '21. I haven't contacted other dealers yet.) So, do I wait and risk this used car bubble bursting in a few months and hold off for the '22? Or just say screw it and jump now?
Since you asked, here are my thoughts.... You have two great options and either one will be a good choice! Do what you want and don't worry about the things outside your control. Most of all I suggest that you find another dealer. Mine kept me up to date throughout the 4 months from order to delivery and I never felt like I was in this totally alone. Your dealer should be able to get the same kind of information that my dealer did during the process, so they seem like they are not making much of an effort for you, their customer.

Oh and BTW, I really really like my 392, which I have had for 1.5 months and have driven 1138 miles. As a "Jeep" guy you already know that it's a Jeep and by definition not perfect, which makes it fun to make changes by adding bigger wheels/tires and a slew of other mods, etc. There will always be something new and more advanced coming out in the future, even after the Recon.

Thanks All! Appreciate the feedback. @DavyBoy IMHO that's exactly how one would expect treatment from a dealer. I think it's at least warranted to go discuss with the other dealers this weekend. (Wife is out of town making it a perfect opportunity :D )

Also - apologies in advance for any confusion. I realized after making my first post that I misspelled my own username.

I also let go of my order,
same reason. Tired of waiting. Went to another dealer and bought the same 392 in a different color off the lot. My wait was over. No regrets. Same price.

Toyota recently announced they’re going to have to cut production a significant percentage because of the chip shortage. You are not In a position where you are being forced to sell now. Go ahead and order the 392 and keep your Toyota until the 392 arrives. The risk of massive devaluation is very low.

Back