Burning Oil Smell

Good for only two weeks or never was good. Driver side looks clean though. Will ask them to replace the cover this time.

Attachments

• Image_2024-03-30 13_31_19_887.png
    Image_2024-03-30 13_31_19_887.png
    645 KB · Views: 13
I wiped the residual oil at the location to rule out any potential leftover from the last job. Will see if any new oil stain show up in about a week.

The dealership blamed the gasket from last job being defective, they replaced the gasket again today, still not the cover. Let’s see how it goes.

The dealership blamed the gasket from last job being defective, they replaced the gasket again today, still not the cover. Let’s see how it goes.
Cool, well, I don't know why they just don't replace the valve cover anyway. It's just plastic. Hopefully it doesn't leak again but at least you'll know what it is if you notice an oil smell.

The guy at Jeep Cares or whatever the place is called when I opened a star case said he would have suggested changing the cover the second time the gasket leaks. You can call them to help facilitate if it happens again and the dealership doesn't want to swap out the valve cover.

Thank you for the suggestion. Given the fact that the last gasket last only three weeks, it might be defective as the dealership claimed. What surprised me is that they have parts in stock so I picked up same day. If it leaks again, I will ask strongly to replace the cover.

Why I think I saw oil again at the same spot today? A hint of yellow really makes me worried about it again. Can it be residual oil from last job just went down? I’m so tired of this.

Ah nuts. I suppose it's possible it's residual. Personally, from my experience. I think it's unlikely. If you wipe it off and it returns, then it's probably the gasket/valve cover again. They probably should have replaced the valve cover this last time.

Did you look under there when you picked it up? If so, was it dry?

If you need to, call jeep customer support at 1-844-533-7928 and open a star case. Let them know you replaced it 2x and it's still leaking and you suspect it's the valve cover. I'll bet if enough are reported, they'll open a service bulletin about the issue.

I agree that it most likely still leaks. Will give it a week or so to verify but very likely another dealer visit is down the road. Thank you for the number, if they refuse to replace the cover this time, I’ll open a star case.

Back