Build Plan

7.62x392

Jeep 392 of the Month
Reaction score
Current Rides
2022 JLUR 392 XR
Have been thinking a lot about my build plan, about to start purchasing parts. My plan is to do this in sections, likely in the following order:
1. Recovery
2. Suspension/Wheels/Ties
3. Fender Chop
4. Protection
5. Onboard Air
6. Aux Lighting
7. Performance

I'm pretty set on the recovery gear, however I am still considering the following for the tires & lift:
a) the lift kit - My local shop highly recommends Metalcloak, however Clayton seems to be the way to go based on reviews I've read, does anyone have experience with either and can attest either way?
b) the tires - I'm torn between Nitto Ridge and Trail Grapplers. I really want the offroad performance of the Trail Grapplers, but I'm nervous about onroad in the rain, etc (this is my daily driver). I also hear the wait for Trail Grapplers is VERY long which may make the decision easy for me. As it is there is a 90 day back order on the Ridge Grapplers at Northridge (similar back order or longer times elsewhere from what I'm seeing).
c) do I need a rear driveshaft to go up 3.5 inches? seems the front is a must but I've been reading mixed opinions on the rear.

I set up an excel to track it all (see screenshot below). Gathering parts isn't going to be easy. Many of the components are on back order. My goal is to purchase and gather all of the parts for the recovery, suspension/wheels/tires, and fender chop sections over the course of the next few months, with install early spring in time for the next offroading season. Then finish the remaining sections next summer. Feel free to chime in on any of the part selections or if you have any recommendations for complementary parts (I'm sure I'm missing something, I realized steering stabilizer isn't in here after I drafted this post). I'm not really married to anything yet so pretty open to swapping things out if the consensus is that there is a better part. That said I've done a fair amount of research and I've heard good things regarding just about everything on this list.

1659061165508.png

1659061769065.png

In the meantime I'll wheel the hell out of the stock XR suspension and tires and put them to the test. Have a number of trail rides schedule over the next 3 months. So far the stock XR suspension paired with the 35" KO2s has been great, and is extremely capable. Handled like a champ when I took it out to Rausch Creek two weeks ago (https://www.jeep392.com/threads/the-off-road-trail-pics-video-thread.1351/post-22210). Will be interesting to compare once I build it up.

1659063135748.png

Looks like a solid build plan!

Only one real comment. I was also very interested in the Next Venture aluminum skids, however after seeing that they only weigh 24lbs less (125lbs vs 149lbs) than the MetalCloak steel skids at nearly double the cost, I've since reconsidered.

Really it comes down to your preference and wallet, but just something to think about!

lol i think i just found my long lost relative. I make these spreadsheets and my wife just rolls her eyes at me, but they’re just so helpful and satisfying.

I think you’re smart to wheel it and then get things as it becomes obvious you need them. Or if it’s just about wanting things, it’s your truck and that’s great too. But - at least if you wheel it you’ll be less likely to buy something you regret.

Couple things:
Arb twin mount - highly recommend you look at Innovative AT Products for their underseat mount kit. Allows you to air up/down all 4 tires at once.

You don’t mention anything about track/sway bar up front. Keep an eye on that, and maybe be prepared for a steer smarts kit if you start to develop death wobble. Steer smarts has more robust fabrication than OEM and better joints (less likely to fail). Steering stabilizer often gets replaced but really has less to do with overall steering/wobble than it might seem. It’s almost the last thing i would do. It looks good though (just remember to mount it so it doesn’t hang down).

Looks forward to seeing your build come together, and pictures of the rig off-road.

lol i think i just found my long lost relative. I make these spreadsheets and my wife just rolls her eyes at me, but they’re just so helpful and satisfying.

I think you’re smart to wheel it and then get things as it becomes obvious you need them. Or if it’s just about wanting things, it’s your truck and that’s great too. But - at least if you wheel it you’ll be less likely to buy something you regret.

Couple things:
Arb twin mount - highly recommend you look at Innovative AT Products for their underseat mount kit. Allows you to air up/down all 4 tires at once.

You don’t mention anything about track/sway bar up front. Keep an eye on that, and maybe be prepared for a steer smarts kit if you start to develop death wobble. Steer smarts has more robust fabrication than OEM and better joints (less likely to fail). Steering stabilizer often gets replaced but really has less to do with overall steering/wobble than it might seem. It’s almost the last thing i would do. It looks good though (just remember to mount it so it doesn’t hang down).

Looks forward to seeing your build come together, and pictures of the rig off-road.
Lol I’m a CPA so I’m anal as hell about numbers and my wife is the exact same way as yours, always giving me a hard time about my ‘spreadsheets’.

I do have my eye on the Steer Smarts Yeti for the track bar. Also for the ARB mount I’m looking at the Epic Kraken system. I’ve heard good things. I’ll check out the Innovative kit you recommended as well.

I'm pretty set on the recovery gear, however I am still considering the following for the tires & lift:
a) the lift kit - My local shop highly recommends Metalcloak, however Clayton seems to be the way to go based on reviews I've read, does anyone have experience with either and can attest either way?
b) the tires - I'm torn between Nitto Ridge and Trail Grapplers. I really want the offroad performance of the Trail Grapplers, but I'm nervous about on road in the rain, etc (this is my daily driver). I also hear the wait for Trail Grapplers is VERY long which may make the decision easy for me. As it is there is a 90 day back order on the Ridge Grapplers at Northridge (similar back order or longer times elsewhere from what I'm seeing).
c) do I need a rear driveshaft to go up 3.5 inches? seems the front is a must but I've been reading mixed opinions on the rear
Awesome list! Here's my thoughts on your questions:
a. I went with the Clayton Offroad 3.5" Overlander+ Kit. Although it took me a day and a half to install it (all by myself), it was a moderately easy install. The directions were excellent and very easy to follow. Love the lift and the stance I have now!

b. Although I went with Kenda Klever R/T's all around, I recently purchased a set of Nitto Recon Grapplers at 37/13.5R17. I should be getting them this weekend. I had them on my GMC Sierra and loved them. Quiet on the road at speed, but great grip in rain/snow/mud.

c. I went with Adams driveshafts on the front and rear when I lifted the Jeep. Some folks will tell you that you don't need to, but I have had a driveshaft grenade on me after a lift install and I wasn't going to push that envelope again.

Good luck!

Hahaha I do the same thing... my spreadsheet isn't quite as orderly as @7.62x392 though. Some numbers/items are placeholders until I decide on an actual product:
1659106456756.png

I went with Adams driveshafts on the front and rear when I lifted the Jeep. Some folks will tell you that you don't need to, but I have had a driveshaft grenade on me after a lift install and I wasn't going to push that envelope again.

Good luck!

I installed Adams on my 2020JT and I couldn't believe the difference in build quality. The stock driveshafts looked like long aluminum cans compared to the Adams stuff. Absolutely great work.

Hahaha I do the same thing... my spreadsheet isn't quite as orderly as @7.62x392 though. Some numbers/items are placeholders until I decide on an actual product:

Great list, thanks for sharing. Didn’t realize Petty’s had the catch can, just ordered one. Which `trimlock are using for the fender channel? I tried to copy/type the Amazon link from your spreadsheet but gave me an item not found error.

Last edited:
Great list, thanks for sharing. Didn’t realize Patty’s had the catch can, just ordered one. Which `trimlock are using for the fender channel? I tried to copy/type the Amazon link from your spreadsheet but gave me an item not found error.

Here you go sir: Trim Lock

Style: Tubing | Size: 25 Feet | Configuration: .276 inch outside diameter; .206 inch inside diameter

Edit: Just noticed it's not currently for sale, I'll see if I can find an alternate option for you...

Here you go sir: Trim Lock

Style: Tubing | Size: 25 Feet | Configuration: .276 inch outside diameter; .206 inch inside diameter

Edit: Just noticed it's not currently for sale, I'll see if I can find an alternate option for you...

There's an option for a closed cell version, but I'm not sure if it will work as well/be as pliable as the open tubing version...

Where have you read this?

I will admit I have apex steering up front with a fox stabilizer. And new tie rods. No issues.

Back