Borla's 392 Exhaust

Consistent with my earlier posts, I love Borla exhausts and have had them on a few different cars (before that Corsa Exhausts on several cars).

Given the quality and sound of the 392 OEM Exhaust, the $3000 or so asking price for the Borla is definitely steep. It would take a group buy price closer $2000 delivered to get me to jump it (S Type, Chrome Tips).

That said, it is great that Borla came out with another excellent product!

I have the Metalcloak one on my Jeep. I left it zinc because I like it with the Green. Mine has taken some shots off road and protected the muffler and mechanisms very well!

Nextventure motorsports makes one that is aluminum. Have you seen it?

This whole kit looks nice! Thanks for sharing.

Do any of you guys who just put the polished kit on your 392 have pictures? I ordered the black but I have been torn between polished and black the entire wait...

Attachments

• ACF02AAA-5A59-4098-9ABB-AAD9C797CA6F.jpeg
    ACF02AAA-5A59-4098-9ABB-AAD9C797CA6F.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 38
It’s marvelous…which did you get? I have the S-Type.
I got the Stainless Atak and started the install immediately. It sounds really good! It took me a while to do myself, so I’ll post a few pictures of the end result in the morning.

Attachments

• 45CB2AC7-5026-47DD-8FD7-41825DC15C53.jpeg
    45CB2AC7-5026-47DD-8FD7-41825DC15C53.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Ordered on Thursday with that code and got it this morning!
Awesome! Keep us posted with the installation and maybe a before/after comparison. The
I got the Stainless Atak and started the install immediately. It sounds really good! It took me a while to do myself so I’ll post a pictures of the end result in the morning.
Wow! I though a local muffler shop needs to get paid for the install and some welding may be required.

Looking forward to reading your DIY process and good luck!

I see we have members with S-type and ATAK installed. Could you guys do short write-up (like some of my rambling that I sometimes post up) that describes the subjective experience of the exhaust. Compare the sound in quiet mode and loud mode and what the around town, highway and WOT experience is like.

I would be very interested in that. Video of quiet mode would be welcome too. Honestly from watching Borla's advertisement I really couldn't tell that much. Microphones and speakers/headphones just don't do that great of a job with exhaust sound. They all sounded good. I could tell a difference, but not enough to tell which one I like more.

I had planned on sticking with stock exhaust due to it's already great sound, but the immediate availability of the Borla and the fact that I got an extended warranty which will prevent me from doing major engine mods has kinda of got me interested in doing some mods that won't interfere with warranty.

So, the kit is pretty much bolt on like the original. I did it in the driveway with my Jeep on the ground because the XR is tall enough as is.
The instructions are pretty spot on, but I will say PLEASE do yourself a favor and get an exhaust hanger removal tool. That was by far the most difficult/time consuming part. Neither my Oriellys or Autozone had them in stock.

So what I did was:
OLD EXHAUST
*Comes off in 2 sections: Muffler and Cat to over axel section*
Sprayed every bolt hanger and clamps with WD40
Unhung muffler from the hangers(one on each side #1 + #2).
Unpluged the valves from their little rubber hoses.
Loosened the 2 clamps connected the muffler to the rear section behind the axel(15mm deep socket req’d for all clamps).
Twist the muffler up and down while also pulling it back to remove it

Loosen the 2 exhaust clamps behind the behind the catlytic converter(its like right at a crossmember underneath the Jeep)
Undo the last standerd exhaust hanger #3(its near the middle of the Jeep).
Twist this entire section up and down to loosen it.
(There is a place behind the “front muffler” that slides into a hanging point #4)
Slide that whole exhaust section back to remove it from that last hanger
Pull that whole exhaust section foward and out.

TAKE OFFS
Remove the valves from the old muffler to place on new muffler([2] 10mm nuts each side + a tiny C clip)
B80D1573-8B21-4BC6-B5C3-5BB7D74D9383.jpeg

92274B7D-F1E3-4F04-A675-81E8CF4B72FB.jpeg

Remove and reuse all 3 standard exhaust hangers
Cut off heat shield from axel section to reuse

NEW EXHAUST
*Basically has 4 sections you install from front to back*
Clamps + X pipe
9A100D1C-9ED2-4FF3-926D-4CC30E6D76BE.jpeg

Clamps + 2 front mufflers(Right reuses hanger #3)
D30F627F-A03E-4CD0-A860-B5E45F5BD690.jpeg

Clamps + 2 over the axle sections(Left slides into hanger #4)
*ONE OF THESE CLAMPS IS NOT LIKE THE OTHERS…this most visible exhaust clamp behind the right front muffled is temporary because the one in the kit was for a 2.5 kit while all the others are 3s*
FB8FB292-12EB-4DD6-A182-36818588E3C9.jpeg

Replace heat shield over axle sections(easier with axle section installed)
Clamps + muffler
81F10387-020C-4FA1-9E87-E4B95AC81BB0.jpeg

THEN the dreaded muffler hangers(I put one back on sideways because it was too tight for me to put back on correctly and I was exhausted.)
1185B53D-C182-4326-AE1A-8322EE848172.jpeg

Attachments

• D5EE942A-CE9F-4A2B-A21E-39CF1181B05E.jpeg
    D5EE942A-CE9F-4A2B-A21E-39CF1181B05E.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 7FE52245-FB75-42AE-A27A-B32DC1CD8724.jpeg
    7FE52245-FB75-42AE-A27A-B32DC1CD8724.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 73
  • 67E79BAE-B0DE-4420-9262-A08AD9434571.jpeg
    67E79BAE-B0DE-4420-9262-A08AD9434571.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I see we have members with S-type and ATAK installed. Could you guys do short write-up (like some of my rambling that I sometimes post up) that describes the subjective experience of the exhaust. Compare the sound in quiet mode and loud mode and what the around town, highway and WOT experience is like.

I would be very interested in that. Video of quiet mode would be welcome too. Honestly from watching Borla's advertisement I really couldn't tell that much. Microphones and speakers/headphones just don't do that great of a job with exhaust sound. They all sounded good. I could tell a difference, but not enough to tell which one I like more.

I had planned on sticking with stock exhaust due to it's already great sound, but the immediate availability of the Borla and the fact that I got an extended warranty which will prevent me from doing major engine mods has kinda of got me interested in doing some mods that won't interfere with warranty.
The sound is PERFECT for me. I felt my 392 had become too quite since it has been hot, and my performance exhaust is pretty much always active.
Before:
Quite mode = Quite Jeep; Performance mode = Jeep w/ V8

After:
Quite mode = Quite Jeep w/V8; Perfomance mode = Jeep w/ classic muscle car V8
I had to turn my pedal commander down because pulling from a stop sounds like I’m trying to challenge somebody. At WOT it sounds nasty good lol. It’s like The Kracken… a monster

I don’t know about the S-type, but this Atak sounds pretty similar to the video... except deeper and louder. Now the 392 sounds like a performance engine that has snuck its way into a Jeep.

Last edited:
The sound is PERFECT for me. I felt my 392 had become too quite since it has been hot, and my performance exhaust is pretty much always active.
Before:

After:
I had to turn my pedal commander down because pulling from a stop sounds like I’m trying to challenge somebody. At WOT it sounds nasty good lol. It’s like The Kracken… a monster

I don’t know about the S-type, but this Atak sounds pretty similar to the video... except deeper and louder. Now the 392 sounds like a performance engine that has snuck its way into a Jeep.
Don’t forget to recheck all clamp screws after a few hundred miles.

Before:

After:

Thank you for the comparison. Mine in quiet mode now is like hitting the noise cancellation on headphones. Engine is almost silent inside the vehicle. Is it still very quiet in quiet mode? I like being able to shut off the noise at certain times.

Thank you for the comparison. Mine in quiet mode now is like hitting the noise cancellation on headphones. Engine is almost silent inside the vehicle. Is it still very quiet in quiet mode? I like being able to shut off the noise at certain times.
Yes it is just as quiet, at least it is with the S-Type.
The S-Type is definitely a few decibels louder than stock but not over the top. The most noticeable difference is the tone is deeper. It really roars at WOT and still makes all those cool noises in off-road plus, they just sound a little louder and deeper. They really made a good sounding exhaust sound better IMO. The cold start is glorious. I would imagine the ATAK is f*•*ing loud and awesome. The S-Type nailed it for me. The black matches the stock bumper. Not high gloss,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 82
From the inside going 75-80mph ,with quiet mode on, its slightly louder than stock.

Yes it is just as quiet, at least it is with the S-Type.
The S-Type is definitely a few decibels louder than stock but not over the top. The most noticeable difference is the tone is deeper. It really roars at WOT and still makes all those cool noises in off-road plus, they just sound a little louder and deeper. They really made a good sounding exhaust sound better IMO. The cold start is glorious. I would imagine the ATAK is f*•*ing loud and awesome. The S-Type nailed it for me. The black matches the stock bumper. Not high gloss,
I chose the ATAK because I wanted more volume and the video honestly sounded good in surround sound lol. Also, I heard I could add a resonantor if it was too loud verses having to swap the system out.

I got the polished because I wanted to really see the exhaust. I figured if I really didn’t like it I could paint it black later.

I chose the ATAK because I wanted more volume and the video honestly sounded good in surround sound lol. Also, I heard I could add a resonantor if it was too loud verses having to swap the system out.

I got the polished because I wanted to really see the exhaust. I figured if I really didn’t like it I could paint it black later.
Just ordered mine.
picked it up for $2600
ATAK in Black.

I was along similar thinking on the color. Then, decided against the polished. My GC SRT had the polished. I did the ceramic coating myself, and it lasted the duration of 5 years, but was starting to chip around the edges.

Just ordered mine.
picked it up for $2600
ATAK in Black.

I was along similar thinking on the color. Then, decided against the polished. My GC SRT had the polished. I did the ceramic coating myself, and it lasted the duration of 5 years, but was starting to chip around the edges.
Where did you get it for $2600?

Back