🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/466CPuu 🎁

Automatic Transmission putting itself into Manual mode

SunsetHill

Reaction score
Current Rides
1984 Camaro Berlinetta, 2024 Jeep Rubicon 392 Red Seat Limited Edition
Hi,

I've had my 2024 392 for over 4 months now and I've noticed something that happens every once in a while, not frequently. I do not drive in manual mode (the paddles) but I drive with shift knob always in "D". There are times when I am stopped at a red light and, when I go to accelerate, the transmission does not shift out of 1st unless I use the paddles, yet my shift knob is still in D, not M. I can solve this by quickly moving the shift knob to M then back to D and then all is well and the transmission again automatically shifts as it should.

I'm no mechanic but it made me think there is something underneath the shift knob that needs adjustment but I don't know what's under there really. Old-fashioned make/break switches? I pretend that is the case and have been purposefully mildly pushing my shift knob to the right when I move it from P to D each time I start my car, as if that keeps maladjusted contacts from making wrongful contact under the knob, but the anomaly still occurs.

Maybe this issue is minor and is something I can live with but I also fear that if I bring it into the dealer and if they don't have pre-existing knowledge about this issue, they might muck something up in a repair attempt.

I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with this issue and can equip me to have some prior knowledge for myself, if I do take it in for service. Or maybe you'll say it's a symptom of something looming.

Thanks.

Hi,

I've had my 2024 392 for over 4 months now and I've noticed something that happens every once in a while, not frequently. I do not drive in manual mode (the paddles) but I drive with shift knob always in "D". There are times when I am stopped at a red light and, when I go to accelerate, the transmission does not shift out of 1st unless I use the paddles, yet my shift knob is still in D, not M. I can solve this by quickly moving the shift knob to M then back to D and then all is well and the transmission again automatically shifts as it should.

I'm no mechanic but it made me think there is something underneath the shift knob that needs adjustment but I don't know what's under there really. Old-fashioned make/break switches? I pretend that is the case and have been purposefully mildly pushing my shift knob to the right when I move it from P to D each time I start my car, as if that keeps maladjusted contacts from making wrongful contact under the knob, but the anomaly still occurs.

Maybe this issue is minor and is something I can live with but I also fear that if I bring it into the dealer and if they don't have pre-existing knowledge about this issue, they might muck something up in a repair attempt.

I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with this issue and can equip me to have some prior knowledge for myself, if I do take it in for service. Or maybe you'll say it's a symptom of something looming.

Thanks.
Here’s a video showing how to take the shifter apart and how the shifter engages. Although I don’t think it’s shifter related… It sounds like you may have inadvertently bumped the paddles. A few others have done the same.

Accidentally bumping the shifter paddle will put it into manual mode. It's annoying. I considered disabling the paddles for this reason.

I did not know this! And there it is in the manual:

1718499026182.png

Apparently, I have been unwittingly bumping the paddles with my fingers while at the red lights. Entirely possible.
I still wonder why my shift knob indicator still showed the "D" illuminated and not the "M" during these times. I'll have to look on the instrument panel to see what is actually says there at these times, should I bump it again. Or, I'll play with it next time out.

Thanks, guys!

View attachment 36290
Apparently, I have been unwittingly bumping the paddles with my fingers while at the red lights. Entirely possible.
I still wonder why my shift knob indicator still showed the "D" illuminated and not the "M" during these times. I'll have to look on the instrument panel to see what is actually says there at these times, should I bump it again. Or, I'll play with it next time out.

Thanks, guys!
I noticed that sometimes my fat fingers bump the shift paddles when I adjust the volume on the radio with the buttons on the steering wheel. Go to settings and turn off paddles, no more problems.

You have the option to disable the paddles in settings. Of course you can turn them back on anytime you choose.
I do sometimes use the off-road speed control, that relies on the paddle shifters to select speed.... does disabling the paddles kill this feature?

I suppose I can test it out when I get a chance.

I noticed that sometimes my fat fingers bump the shift paddles when I adjust the volume on the radio with the buttons on the steering wheel. Go to settings and turn off paddles, no more problems.

I am aware that my fingers have inadvertently touched those rocker switches on the back side of the steering wheel. I only know this because the radio, if it's on, changes stations when that happens, giving me instant feedback.

Accidentally bumping the shifter paddle will put it into manual mode. It's annoying. I considered disabling the paddles for this reason.
I have done the very same thing a few times (fat fingers ) hitting the paddle good info above 👍

This morning, with the "D" illuminated, I pressed a paddle, the instrument panel then said Manual mode activated, and the shift knob illumination stayed at "D" the entire time, never changed over to "M". That answers that. So, yeah, I must be bumping the paddles, although they don't seem touchy when I found that I had to press on them to feel a click. I'll continue to pay attention.

This morning, with the "D" illuminated, I pressed a paddle, the instrument panel then said Manual mode activated, and the shift knob illumination stayed at "D" the entire time, never changed over to "M". That answers that. So, yeah, I must be bumping the paddles, although they don't seem touchy when I found that I had to press on them to feel a click. I'll continue to pay attention.
As stated easy to do. And easier to realize what has happened when she starts to rev up and not shift. I just shake my head hit the paddle hold it in and back to normal. I use them off road more than on road great for down hill no breaks. I’m glad Jeep installed them..

I've accidentally done it a few times. Every single time was when I was really getting on it and didnt realized until it was just about too late. I have considered disabling because I hardly ever use them.

View attachment 36290

Thanks, guys!
We have all done it I’m sure, took a time or 2 to figure it out. Just hold the right paddle for 1 sec in it quickly goes back into manual mode.

We have all done it I’m sure, took a time or 2 to figure it out. Just hold the right paddle for 1 sec in it quickly goes back into manual mode.

Did you mean to say it changes back into Automatic mode?

I've inadvertently done this a dozen or so times. I can't bring myself to disable paddle shifting in config though.

Yeah, I'm going to first try disabling my fidgeting fingers when waiting at red lights!

Back