Another reason not to bring your vehicle to the dealership

Last edited:
I just briefly skimmed the story, but my take was that it was a 19 y/o who maybe doesn’t know the ins and outs of how a clutch/manual works.

We would need to know more. Was the Jeep in gear? Brake on?

stupid if the jeep owner ends up getting in trouble for this.

Last edited:
I just briefly skimmed the story, but my take was that it was a 19 y/o who maybe doesn’t know the ins and outs of a clutch.
yep

”the vehicle "lurched forward" as the young employee attempted to operate it”

"Thompson reached into the vehicle and pressed brake with his right foot, keeping his other foot on the floor," the plaintiff summary reads. "He pressed the start button. When the vehicle did not start, he took his foot off the brake and depressed the clutch pedal. He again hit the start button. This time the Jeep started. He removed his foot from the clutch, still standing outside the vehicle. The vehicle lurched forward."

Unlicensed driver - unlawful driver
How did a judge even accept this as a case?

A person who lends their car (to the dealership for an oil change) is liable for negligent acts because they gave the other person permission to use their vehicle.

I just briefly skimmed the story, but my take was that it was a 19 y/o who maybe doesn’t know the ins and outs of how a clutch/manual works.

We would need to know more. Was the Jeep in gear? Brake on?

stupid if the jeep owner ends up getting in trouble for this.
The jeep owner is being sued but the court ruled the dealership's insurance company has to pay if he loses.

Disgusting. If you read the article they discuss how no one (dealer owner/management, 19 yr old mech) else can be sued and obviously we MUST sue SOMEONE.

140-1405976_pure-michigan-logo-transparent-hd-png-download.png

🙄

This is ridiculous. The incompetent driver is at fault...........or dealership for not checking the kid out. In no way should the jeep owner be liable for this unless he had done some weird mods to the clutch and transmission and not told anyone about it and I'm sure that is not the case.

Lots of people nowadays can't drive sticks. Truck drivers tell me that part of the problem with the driver shortage is that a lot of the new guys are only allowed to drive automatic transmission trucks because they can't drive a stick. As a result most of the new rigs come with automatic transmissions.

A person who lends their car (to the dealership for an oil change) is liable for negligent acts because they gave the other person permission to use their vehicle.
And the owner has EVERY reasonable expectation that when entering into a contract (service for a set price IS a contract) the dealership would not act in an unlawful manner, which they did. The negligence falls solely on the dealership for allowing it.

Last edited:
The jeep owner is being sued but the court ruled the dealership's insurance company has to pay if he loses.
So, the Jeep owner’s insurance company defends their client, and if they lose, the Jeep owner has a blemish on their driving record, higher insurance premiums, and a legal judgment filed against them in court? That’s one of those outcomes in which a common response is, “That Ain’t Right!”

And the owner has EVERY reasonable expectation that when entering into a contract (service for a set price IS a contract) the dealership would not act in an unlawful manner, which they did. The negligence falls solely on the dealership for allowing it.

And here I'm worried about those 19 y/o "techs" going for a joy ride. I guess I better retain a lawyer.

And here I'm worried about those 19 y/o "techs" going for a joy ride. I guess I better retain a lawyer.
Maybe having an unlicensed tech isn’t such a bad thing since he/she couldn’t legally “take a joy ride” in your Jeep off the premises of the dealership without breaking the law.

Back