Amp Power Steps Istallation Cost

JD37064

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
Sarge Green 392, Porsche 911 GTS
I'm taking delivery of my 392 in about 2 weeks and went to my dealer to price some upgrades. This is my first Jeep so I'm not very knowledgeable on upgrades etc. After considering my options I want the Amp Power Steps. I know the power steps sell online for about $1400. Not sure what other parts are needed for the install. My dealer quoted my $3,000 for the job including a matching rock rail. Is this reasonable? Sounds very high but I have no idea what's involved in the installation process. Thanks to any who can provide some advice.

I'm also looking for a tubular light mount that attaches to the front bumper if anyone has suggestions. I like the Baja Designs LP6 lights but am looking for an attractive way to mount them.

I'm taking delivery of my 392 in about 2 weeks and went to my dealer to price some upgrades. This is my first Jeep so I'm not very knowledgeable on upgrades etc. After considering my options I want the Amp Power Steps. I know the power steps sell online for about $1400. Not sure what other parts are needed for the install. My dealer quoted my $3,000 for the job including a matching rock rail. Is this reasonable? Sounds very high but I have no idea what's involved in the installation process. Thanks to any who can provide some advice.

I'm also looking for a tubular light mount that attaches to the front bumper if anyone has suggestions. I like the Baja Designs LP6 lights but am looking for an attractive way to mount them.
I’ve ordered the amp power step XLs for mine from 4wp.. labor to install is $500 and steps are $1800 to compare.
Steps are on back order currently and none expected for about 4 weeks. If you want just the AMP power steps they are $1400 and I’d assume labor is the same. Hope that helps.

The least expensive amps, I believe the $1400 do not go under the Jeep completely and really are not attractive.

XL is the only way to go and fold in to an encasement that kind of looks like a rock rail. They are roughly $2000 plus install so the price of 1800 plus the 500 seems accurate.

As far as I know and have heard AMP has taken the 392 off their list of approved vehicles probable due to the heat under the hood that has been known to effect the plastics..

I installed mine before it was taken off the list and they approved my warranty.

I am sure they are working on a fix, it is simple to move the control unit to inside the Jeep as all wiring is on the passengers side.

Pic 1 and 2 are AMP XL's, the XL sticker has been removed.

I do not see how a dealer is going to install a matching rock rail, they would have to be more specific there for me to agree to it.

Nice thing about the LP6 is Baja Design made it so the two outer holes in the pic 3 are where you mount the lights. simply remove the existing and the hole is the east fit for the LP6 base nut and bolt.

Pic 4 (from my Gladiator) is the plug that goes in the back of the light and then goes to the AUX switch junction on the passenger side next to the battery. You willl have to dig to find the pack of wires the first time. I use Aux 1, 2, and 3 for the LP6 as 1 is high beam, 2 is low beam, and 3 is the Halo which matches very nicely and I run the Halo day and night.

YOU CAN NOT RUN THE HIGH AND LOW BEAMS AT THE SAME TIME, BE CAREFUL WHICH HARNESS YOU BUY AS THEY RANGE FROM 40-90 DOLLARS. EXPLAIN TO SELLER THAT YOU HAVE AUX SWITCHES BECUASE THEN THE WIRE HARNESS DOES NOT NEED RELAYS ETC.

pic 4 is the wiring, as you can see in this example I only have one set of rear lights wired so one aux wire and one ground. Ground is against the passenger side fender with a blue water sealed crimp.

The Maximus-3 Grill Guard and LP6 work beautifully together.

On another note low beam is perfect for neighborhoods and high for country, off road, and all other situations.

If you run high beam through the neighborhood then all dog walkers bikers, and joggers etc are going to flip you the bird as it is just way too bright for them to even shield with their hand. Low beam they can look away slightly and its tolerable.

Pic 4 and 5 are a Gladiator with Maximus-3 and LP-s running daytime Halos

392 has same bumper. I will be installing same stuff on mine this weekend and you can see finished product when I post it. I have tried a nice LED bar but it just doesnt look as good as the LP-S because of Jeeps round lights

Any questions feel free to ask I have done a bunch of these.

Attachments

• IMG_1301.JPG
    IMG_1301.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_1302.JPG
    IMG_1302.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_1303.JPG
    IMG_1303.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1304.JPG
    IMG_1304.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_1305.JPG
    IMG_1305.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 328
  • B6A121E9-A6EC-4430-9ED2-C95E3BFB3E29.jpeg
    B6A121E9-A6EC-4430-9ED2-C95E3BFB3E29.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 365
  • 1E173986-8FCB-4D4D-B591-9E4B4B1AA59D.jpeg
    1E173986-8FCB-4D4D-B591-9E4B4B1AA59D.jpeg
    340.3 KB · Views: 387
The least expensive amps, I believe the $1400 do not go under the Jeep completely and really are not attractive.

XL is the only way to go and fold in to an encasement that kind of looks like a rock rail. They are roughly $2000 plus install so the price of 1800 plus the 500 seems accurate.

As far as I know and have heard AMP has taken the 392 off their list of approved vehicles probable due to the heat under the hood that has been known to effect the plastics..

I installed mine before it was taken off the list and they approved my warranty.

I am sure they are working on a fix, it is simple to move the control unit to inside the Jeep as all wiring is on the passengers side.

Pic 1 and 2 are AMP XL's, the XL sticker has been removed.

I do not see how a dealer is going to install a matching rock rail, they would have to be more specific there for me to agree to it.

Nice thing about the LP6 is Baja Design made it so the two outer holes in the pic 3 are where you mount the lights. simply remove the existing and the hole is the east fit for the LP6 base nut and bolt.

Pic 4 (from my Gladiator) is the plug that goes in the back of the light and then goes to the AUX switch junction on the passenger side next to the battery. You willl have to dig to find the pack of wires the first time. I use Aux 1, 2, and 3 for the LP6 as 1 is high beam, 2 is low beam, and 3 is the Halo which matches very nicely and I run the Halo day and night.

YOU CAN NOT RUN THE HIGH AND LOW BEAMS AT THE SAME TIME, BE CAREFUL WHICH HARNESS YOU BUY AS THEY RANGE FROM 40-90 DOLLARS. EXPLAIN TO SELLER THAT YOU HAVE AUX SWITCHES BECUASE THEN THE WIRE HARNESS DOES NOT NEED RELAYS ETC.

pic 4 is the wiring, as you can see in this example I only have one set of rear lights wired so one aux wire and one ground. Ground is against the passenger side fender with a blue water sealed crimp.

The Maximus-3 Grill Guard and LP6 work beautifully together.

On another note low beam is perfect for neighborhoods and high for country, off road, and all other situations.

If you run high beam through the neighborhood then all dog walkers bikers, and joggers etc are going to flip you the bird as it is just way too bright for them to even shield with their hand. Low beam they can look away slightly and its tolerable.

Pic 4 and 5 are a Gladiator with Maximus-3 and LP-s running daytime Halos

392 has same bumper. I will be installing same stuff on mine this weekend and you can see finished product when I post it. I have tried a nice LED bar but it just doesnt look as good as the LP-S because of Jeeps round lights

Any questions feel free to ask I have done a bunch of these.
Thanks so much for the info! I like the Maximus 3 Guard and I'm going to do the same setup as in your pics. I did go to the AMP website and according to their "select your vehicle" tool, the XL is not listed as an option for Wranglers. Would they still fit or is it another issue? I understand the engine temp issue is another issue altogether. Thanks!

Thanks so much for the info! I like the Maximus 3 Guard and I'm going to do the same setup as in your pics. I did go to the AMP website and according to their "select your vehicle" tool, the XL is not listed as an option for Wranglers. Would they still fit or is it another issue? I understand the engine temp issue is another issue altogether. Thanks!
As I stated above, they are listed and ones I ordered for my 392… AMP has confirmed the fit with moving controller inside.
1626988641271.png

As I stated above, they are listed and ones I ordered for my 392… AMP has confirmed the fit with moving controller inside.
View attachment 734
Ok I knew they would fit per your reply. I guess I should have asked differently which would have been "did you need to modify the installation" and it sounds like no except for moving the controller inside. Thanks

Ok I knew they would fit per your reply. I guess I should have asked differently which would have been "did you need to modify the installation" and it sounds like no except for moving the controller inside. Thanks
According to 4WP that’s the only change to adapt it to our 392’s… Will let you know once they come in and installed but may be several weeks unfortunately…
You can find them on eBay and other places but I didn’t want to install myself. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited:
I’ve ordered the amp power step XLs for mine from 4wp.. labor to install is $500 and steps are $1800 to compare.
Steps are on back order currently and none expected for about 4 weeks. If you want just the AMP power steps they are $1400 and I’d assume labor is the same. Hope that helps.
I bought mine from Amazon… it was available ( xl)

I bought mine from Amazon… it was available ( xl)
I take it you installed yourself? How difficult was the wiring portion? I’ve installed on several vehicles but they were OBD2 plug and play. Thought of doing it myself but wiring appears to be a challenge. Thx

I take it you installed yourself? How difficult was the wiring portion? I’ve installed on several vehicles but they were OBD2 plug and play. Thought of doing it myself but wiring appears to be a challenge. Thx
it wasn't hard, 2 guys 3 hours

You need to consider the Rockslide Engineering steps. In my opinion a way better auto step!
I second this. I have the AMP steps on my JK and the rockslides on my Gladiator. I just ordered Rockslides for my 392. Installation on my Gladiator for Rockslides was about 4 hours by myself and I bet I will install the new ones in under 3 hrs this time. The AMP install is not much different. The AMP steps tend to be problematic in the winter slushy conditions. They frese and do not retract and require more maintenance to keep them operating. The Rockslides are more expensive but worth the extra money in my opinion. Good luck.

I ended up going with the new Rockslide Gen III sliders that just came out. They have an upgraded motor and longer rear step. I also went with the maximus classic hoop and Warn Zeon 10 winch and baja designs LP6 lights. I hope the lights are worth $450 each....whew!

I ended up going with the new Rockslide Gen III sliders that just came out. They have an upgraded motor and longer rear step. I also went with the maximus classic hoop and Warn Zeon 10 winch and baja designs LP6 lights. I hope the lights are worth $450 each....whew!
Any chance you can post some pics?

I'm picking the 392 up from the dealer tomorrow. I can't get everything installed until 9/3 but I will post pics when it's done. The Gen III rockslides might be longer. I ordered them 2 weeks ago and they are showing 6-8 weeks back ordered.

I just ordered my 392 this week, and figure I have a few months to get ready but I am looking hard at power steps as my wife is only 5' 2". Based on what I've read it's a choice between the Amp powersteps or the Rocksliders.
Several have commented back in the summer about heat issues for the AMP steps, and I have seen some comments elsewhere about the narrowness of the Rocksliders being an issue in missing the step, especially exiting. That would happen exactly once to my wife and I'd be changing steps.
I would appreciate any timely comments now that several months have passed on user satisfaction and/or issues.
Also, if a current owner share the unmodified distance from door sill to ground that would be a handy piece of information to have while choosing. Thanks in advance for your advice!

I just ordered my 392 this week, and figure I have a few months to get ready but I am looking hard at power steps as my wife is only 5' 2". Based on what I've read it's a choice between the Amp powersteps or the Rocksliders.
Several have commented back in the summer about heat issues for the AMP steps, and I have seen some comments elsewhere about the narrowness of the Rocksliders being an issue in missing the step, especially exiting. That would happen exactly once to my wife and I'd be changing steps.
I would appreciate any timely comments now that several months have passed on user satisfaction and/or issues.
Also, if a current owner share the unmodified distance from door sill to ground that would be a handy piece of information to have while choosing. Thanks in advance for your advice!
I just installed AMPs on mine last week and have to say I really like them. I also bought pinch weld covers to clean up the lines and together these look great and function great for my needs. They are not made for heavy off roading I’d say but for my use they are great. I wired mine to my aux switch so I can turn them off or on at any point. The others use magnets on the doors and I was not a fan of that. AMPS are a little more difficult install with wiring but worth it to me. Happy to give you some measurements if you’d like more..Good luck with whatever you decide!

I just installed AMPs on mine last week and have to say I really like them. I also bought pinch weld covers to clean up the lines and together these look great and function great for my needs. They are not made for heavy off roading I’d say but for my use they are great. I wired mine to my aux switch so I can turn them off or on at any point. The others use magnets on the doors and I was not a fan of that. AMPS are a little more difficult install with wiring but worth it to me. Happy to give you some measurements if you’d like more..Good luck with whatever you decide!

Thanks for the info! I will ask did you get the original or the XL model? Also distance from ground to door sill and ground to step for whichever model you installed. And I'll definitely look into the pinch weld covers.

Thanks for the info! I will ask did you get the original or the XL model? Also distance from ground to door sill and ground to step for whichever model you installed. And I'll definitely look into the pinch weld covers.
Original steps… I will get you some measurements tomorrow and post some pics.

Back