American Adventure Lab Jeep JL MASS Cargo Shelf review.

Viking Jeeper

Moderator 🛠️
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Rides
2021 Rubicon 392 2006 LJR
Just purchased the AAL Cargo Shelf and I'm very happy with it. I thought some might find it helpful to post a full review. The shelf is very sturdy, almost overbuilt. It came packed very well. Parts:

Aluminum: (these are all black in mine but other colors are available)
2 x Shelf Halves
2 x Roll bar brackets (driver and passenger side specific)
2 x Shelf Brackets (driver and passenger side specific)

Steel: (these are all red in mine but other colors are available)
2 x Middle Supports
2 x Outside Supports
2 x Edge Guards

IMG_8605.JPG

Assembly is straightforward with lots of fasteners.

IMG_8604.JPG

It attaches to the roll bar after small trim pieces are removed.

IMG_8623.JPG

The height is adjustable. Right now I have it in the second lowest position and that provides 19 inches of room underneath.

IMG_8625.JPG

There are 4 adjustment holes to go higher as long as you are ok fastening the shelf brackets to the roll bar brackets with 2 bolts per side rather than 4. Each hole moves it just over 3/4 of an inch.

IMG_8626.JPG

I will probably use it without the front and rear edge guards on until I need them.

IMG_8630.JPG

I plan to install an LED light strip and switch for underneath the shelf.

IMG_8628.JPG

IMG_8619.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8639.JPG
    IMG_8639.JPG
    283.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8624.JPG
    IMG_8624.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Thank you for the write up. Very helpful!

Every time I see that many fasteners I get concerned about rattles - keep us posted as to how quiet this is, and remains!

AAL products are incredible and smartly designed. The owner, Brit, is as sensitive to noise and rattles as I am, which means it’s a big part of his product design to eliminate them.

—S

What is on top of your spare tire carrier? Long cylinder looking items.

Every time I see that many fasteners I get concerned about rattles - keep us posted as to how quiet this is, and remains!
I'd be more concerned with less hardware. I'm also curious if those brackets can be used with the factory soft top which also mounts in the same location.

I'm also curious if those brackets can be used with the factory soft top which also mounts in the same location.
I think that is addressed on their website.

I'd be more concerned with less hardware. I'm also curious if those brackets can be used with the factory soft top which also mounts in the same location.
Yes it can, I use it all the time. The only problem is you can't retract the soft top all the way, it folds high. When I use my soft top I only use it with the soft top up, without windows, the safari look.

I have had this same shelf installed for about six months now. All of the fasteners have high quality lock nuts. It does not rattle. It does not shake. It is unbelievably solid for it being aluminum. I think there's a video from AAL online of someone standing and jumping on it.

I also have the tailgate shelf (bamboo) which is perfect for tailgate parties.

Buy with confidence.

Yes it can, I use it all the time. The only problem is you can't retract the soft top all the way, it folds high. When I use my soft top I only use it with the soft top up, without windows, the safari look.
Same here.

Back