Alternative dealer for purchasing new 392 OTHER than Granger

Jaaack

Reaction score
Current Rides
2023 Rubicon 392
Looking for a good buying experience dealer OTHER than Granger. Sick of all their new “policies” since placing my order. I’d rather eat my deposit and start over through a different respected dealer than just be expected to digest their new buying “policies”. Sorry Granger but you don’t get to just change your policies after the order has been placed. Disappointing. Someone else will get my business for purchasing my24. Looking for recommendations from members that have had a respectful and no surprise buying “policies” experience when its time to take delivery of a vehicle thats closing in on 100k.

Looking for a good buying experience dealer OTHER than Granger. Sick of all their new “policies” since placing my order. I’d rather eat my deposit and start over through a different respected dealer than just be expected to digest their new buying “policies”. Sorry Granger but you don’t get to just change your policies after the order has been placed. Disappointing. Someone else will get my business for purchasing my24. Looking for recommendations from members that have had a respectful and no surprise buying “policies” experience when its time to take delivery of a vehicle thats closing in on 100k.
Mark Dodge @AnthonyRI

He will respond but here is his post on ordering through his dealership.

I bought mine through Granger. I waited over 7 months and went through the policy changes you describe, so I feel your frustration. In the end, I got a good price and the sales people were nice to work with, but I was disappointed in other parts of the process and people that soured the overall experience and I probably wouldn't use them again.
If you haven't already, I suggest looking at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ratberts-dealers-below-invoice-spreadsheet.95841/. There are several other dealers selling for 5, 6, or even 7% under invoice (much, much lower than MSRP). Ratbert has done a great job of trying to keep the list up to date.

I bought mine through Granger. I waited over 7 months and went through the policy changes you describe, so I feel your frustration. In the end, I got a good price and the sales people were nice to work with, but I was disappointed in other parts of the process and people that soured the overall experience and I probably wouldn't use them again.
If you haven't already, I suggest looking at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ratberts-dealers-below-invoice-spreadsheet.95841/. There are several other dealers selling for 5, 6, or even 7% under invoice (much, much lower than MSRP). Ratbert has done a great job of trying to keep the list up to date.
@OffRoadPatriot I cant thank you and others enough for the valuable information. This is just another instance of good community collaboration. After buying my first “dream” vehicle from them 6 months ago….. and then ordering another through them for the Mrs….. I certainly didn’t expect to be treated this way…. Nor will I. As you said there are PLENTY of options to hand over this kind of cash for a vehicle. The salesman there are nice …. However their ordering dept personnel are a severe weak link. This should have been a simple / hassle free cash transaction….. and it will be for a different more professional and courteous dealership. I don’t mind waiting and will not be treated like some common thief trying to pull some underhanded BS. I know Granger won’t care….. however I can also share my experience in several places that can be seen and hopefully make the next person pause after reading it and maybe explore other dealership ordering options. ✌🏻

@OffRoadPatriot I cant thank you and others enough for the valuable information. This is just another instance of good community collaboration. After buying my first “dream” vehicle from them 6 months ago….. and then ordering another through them for the Mrs….. I certainly didn’t expect to be treated this way…. Nor will I. As you said there are PLENTY of options to hand over this kind of cash for a vehicle. The salesman there are nice …. However their ordering dept personnel are a severe weak link. This should have been a simple / hassle free cash transaction….. and it will be for a different more professional and courteous dealership. I don’t mind waiting and will not be treated like some common thief trying to pull some underhanded BS. I know Granger won’t care….. however I can also share my experience in several places that can be seen and hopefully make the next person pause after reading it and maybe explore other dealership ordering options. ✌🏻
What happened? Was it the collect sales tax part or something else? Looks like your Jeep was built end of December and delivered to Granger? Just wondering what happened that changed your experience/perception with them.

What happened? Was it the collect sales tax part or something else? Looks like your Jeep was built end of December and delivered to Granger? Just wondering what happened that changed your experience/perception with them.
@Tell3131 MY24Jeep is scheduled for this month and expected to hit the lot next. But it was their build status update email….. “oh and btw here’s all our new policy changes” that soured it. Sorry Granger you don’t get to change the rules in the middle of the game!! Unprofessional and I won’t just “accept” it. Other dealerships that will treat (especially repeat) customers with respect and professionalism when handing over that amount of cash. They might be mad because they aren’t getting any financing kick back out of me. ✌🏻

@Tell3131 to address your question…. It wasn’t just that one change it was a few of their “new policy” changes in the middle of the game.

Policies change all the time. Credit cards, banks, software phone apps.... You probably accept updated policies and terms of service dozens of times a year.

Unless they changed something specific that affects you, AND they refused to remedy the issue, then I'm not sure I would care.

Now, if they changed something substantial and specific, then I would ask them to remedy it, or return my deposit. I would think in most states, they would be required to return the deposit if the deal has changed.

Policies change all the time. Credit cards, banks, software phone apps.... You probably accept updated policies and terms of service dozens of times a year.

Unless they changed something specific that affects you, AND they refused to remedy the issue, then I'm not sure I would care.

Now, if they changed something substantial and specific, then I would ask them to remedy it, or return my deposit. I would think in most states, they would be required to return the deposit if the deal has changed.
@guruman sorry you can’t change the rules after a signed purchase agreement has been established. The credit card agreement is not the same. Purchases after the rule changes yes…. But not previous purchase agreements

Sorry to hear about this what exactly changed?

Crown CDJR in Washington PA. They are a new dealership to the fleet in my area, seem to have a lot of buying power with FCA/stellantis and my experience with a specific salesman runs 8 vehicles deep including my 392. DM for details.

Here is what I think changed from those that ordered from Granger prior to August/July of 2023. They have since changed their advertisements on ordering via email (to those who have ordered) and online (at least in the TRX forums).
1) They require collection of state taxes (I am not sure how they do this with a cash purchase) so if you finance they will "calculate" your state taxes owed (if your state has taxes) and then put that amount into your loan. This can be substantial on a $85K-$100K vehicle.
2) They require you to pick it up or have it shipped (basically you need to close on the transaction) within 14 days of the vehicle hitting the lot.
3) If you are financing on your own, they "ask" to be able to match or beat it.

I think those were the major changes they implemented. Others feel free to add if I am wrong or missed anything. The tax thing seems to be the BIG hangup with folks (which I 100% understand).

Last edited:
Here is what I think changed from those that ordered from Granger prior to August/July of 2023. They have since changed their advertisements on ordering via email (to those who have ordered) and online (at least in the TRX forums).
1) They require collection of state taxes (I am not sure how they do this with a cash purchase) so if you finance they will "calculate" your state taxes owed (if your state has taxes) and then put that amount into your loan. This can be substantial on a $85K-$100K vehicle.
2) They require you to pick it up or have it shipped (basically you need to close on the transaction) within 14 days of the vehicle hitting the lot.
3) If you are financing on your own, they "ask" to be able to match or beat it.

I think those were the major changes they implemented. Others feel free to add if I am wrong or missed anything. The tax thing seems to be the BIG hangup with folks (which I 100% understand).
Unless you are planning on committing tax fraud.... why would them collecting sales tax be an issue? You'll have to pay it anyway, when you title it in your state. More and more now this is a legal requirement depending on what state you live in or are purchasing in. They probably do not have a choice but to collect the sales tax.

I know that Indiana has agreements with several other states for the sales tax collection. Dealers in those states with agreements are required by law to collect sales tax for Indiana and vice-versa.

Montana, however does not have a sales tax. If you are paying cash, you could spin up a Montana LLC, have the LLC buy the vehicle. A lot of boats, RVs, and exotic sports cars are purchased this way. States are getting wise to this though, and are going after people for "use tax" for the state where the vehicle is used.

I have no direct experience with this dealer, but this is not the first time I've heard items 2 and 3 mentioned. I think those have always been the deal.

Unless you are planning on committing tax fraud.... why would them collecting sales tax be an issue? You'll have to pay it anyway, when you title it in your state. More and more now this is a legal requirement depending on what state you live in or are purchasing in. They probably do not have a choice but to collect the sales tax.

I know that Indiana has agreements with several other states for the sales tax collection. Dealers in those states with agreements are required by law to collect sales tax for Indiana and vice-versa.

Montana, however does not have a sales tax. If you are paying cash, you could spin up a Montana LLC, have the LLC buy the vehicle. A lot of boats, RVs, and exotic sports cars are purchased this way. States are getting wise to this though, and are going after people for "use tax" for the state where the vehicle is used.

I have no direct experience with this dealer, but this is not the first time I've heard items 2 and 3 mentioned. I think those have always been the deal.
I get your point, but depends on the state, everywhere is different. I can only speak for Missouri, dealers do not collect tax upfront, we pay it when we go to title the vehicle. If you have a prior sale of a vehicle, boat, quad, trailer, etc (within 180 days) you can use that tax credit to help offset or in some circumstances negate the entire tax amount you have to pay. With that said, there is a process in Missouri (again, every state varies) where you can submit a form after you have paid the tax, to have them reimburse you for the tax that you paid (collected in the deal by the dealer, in this case Granger). As you can imagine, whenever you deal with Government, the time to get the money back can be 3-6 months. Also they don't collect the true tax amount that is due, it is only a portion of the tax at best.

I think the main point is people don't like it when dealers change the details after they have signed a deal with them. It is even on POC Granger sends you that TTL isn't due, but they changed that. That is what is pissing people off, for right or wrong. And there isn't any compromise, they just tell you this is the way it is, take it or leave it. For people that order KNOWING what they are getting into, I agree, it isn't an issue.

I am pretty sure Granger won't sell to a Montana LLC anymore and that has been for a while.

#2 is new as of midway through 2023, it used to be 30 days.

#3 you are correct, has always been this way, but not sure if they "require" it now. ??

• The sales tax thing is the big change, and makes things more difficult for most people buying out of state. They don't establish relationships with each state and county they sell in, so they just take your money up front, and then mail you back a check later for you to pay your taxes when you go to register - it's still 100% on you to pay them, and if there is a problem with the way they make out the check or it gets lost in the mail or whatever, good luck. In states like Colorado where you could normally avoid the nightmare of visiting the DMV in person and just register online, that means you now have to make a reservation to visit the DMV in person, find a physical address for Granger to put on the check (even though they mail it to you), and hope that everything goes smoothly during your first visit and you don't have to go back to Granger to have something on the title or check corrected and schedule another appointment. It's much easier if you can just do everything online. It shouldn't cost you any more, it's just timing and hassle.
  • The 14-day pickup requirement could be an issue for some. They won't let you pickup the vehicle the first week after it comes in because they want time to process the paperwork, clean the Jeep, etc.. But now they want you to pick it up before 14 days, so you basically have 1 week to pick it up, and they won't tell you what week that is until a day or two after it arrives on their lot. For people coming from out of state, that makes it difficult to plan, especially when they don't provide good status of the build (part their fault, part Jeep's fault).
They said the tax change was because people weren't registering their Jeeps where they said they were going to, and somehow, Jeep was charging Granger for it. That doesn't make sense to me, but it's taxes and government 🤷‍♂️. At least it's a reason.

I could see the 14-day rule being a result of people ordering a vehicle and then not coming to pick it up. Granger can't sell it because it was a custom order, but they haven't been fully paid for it either, so they want to set some kind of time limit.

I think Jaaack's point is, previous orders should be grandfathered in and the new terms should be for new orders. It can be frustrating for a buyer who has been waiting months when the terms change AFTER you made an agreement.

Last edited:
I purchased from Granger. Their policy changes aren't ludicrous.

They started to require sales tax because they were getting charge backs from Jeep. I'll explain. They were allowing out of state buyers to finance and go out the door without including tax. Then, the buyer was selling the vehicle before registering it. What that means is the original buyer didn't pay taxes on the purchase. So what happens is when the second buyer goes to another state, the original state is notified because of title transfer. Apparently because the original state didn't get taxes, they actually go after the manufacturer. Why the don't go after the original buyer is beyond me. Then, after the manufacturer sees what happens, they track the VIN down to the origin dealer that sold it and charge them.

14 day policy to pick up your vehicle is par for the course. They are giving you 6%-7% off of invoice. You've waited 6+ months for the thing. Anyone that is excited to take delivery would be there in 7.

Just my 2 cents.

I purchased from Granger. Their policy changes aren't ludicrous.

They started to require sales tax because they were getting charge backs from Jeep. I'll explain. They were allowing out of state buyers to finance and go out the door without including tax. Then, the buyer was selling the vehicle before registering it. What that means is the original buyer didn't pay taxes on the purchase. So what happens is when the second buyer goes to another state, the original state is notified because of title transfer. Apparently because the original state didn't get taxes, they actually go after the manufacturer. Why the don't go after the original buyer is beyond me. Then, after the manufacturer sees what happens, they track the VIN down to the origin dealer that sold it and charge them.

14 day policy to pick up your vehicle is par for the course. They are giving you 6%-7% off of invoice. You've waited 6+ months for the thing. Anyone that is excited to take delivery would be there in 7.

Just my 2 cents.
The "issue" isn't that the policy changed but it changed for people who had orders in before the policy change, so they did not know about it up front.

I guess I am still trying to figure out how people would take delivery of a vehicle and sell to someone else without having the MSO or In-Transit Title, or Title to sign over. . ??

7% off 2024 Jeep Wrangler 392 Granger Motors Just Bolt Ons.com MARK CDJR in Lake Charles Louisiana Underground Graphics

Latest Discussions

Back