AFE Cold Air Intake

We used to joke that AFE stood for "All Former Employees", since the company was started with former K&N people. I'm not sure why people think an intake is going to give you anything (and with my personal experiences with aftermarket filters leaking dust past the seal, gives me pause) on these Jeeps. Most manufactures on new vehicles have them so optimized for economy/emissions/performance that there are no more bolt-on gains to be had like they used to be (most gains require tuning now). In fact, we've seen some OE computers actively limiting gains from intakes in some vehicles (see: Duramax) The 392 already has 3x the filter capacity of a non-V-8 Wrangler and real ram air/cold air intake that still delivers 470hp despite it circuitous air path. Swapping a filter is not going to give you anything except additional filtering if you trust the media over what the factory provides. I just dont see why you would need this, especially if you are keeping the HydroGlide system, my guess if that any restriction would be there before it is the factory air box and filter. Also, the engine bay is already so hot and tight, any "cold air" gains by an open element not using the HG system will be quickly minimized due to a huge loss in air density... And remember, "additional airflow" is a marketing gimmick if the vehicle isn't maxing out its existing factory filter (the 392 is not).

--S

Last edited:
I don't really see much of a point to all that, the only real performance gains to be had in the 6.4 would be adding forced induction.

I bet almost all of the gain will be from the tune and a lot of that gain is not max hp. It removes the dip in the factory power curve by delaying a transition (cam phasing or intake runners) until a higher rpm. I think you'll be lucky to get 20hp from air box, headers and exhaust and that is a TON of money per HP.

I am interested in seeing dyno results and hearing first hand reports. The tune is almost certainly the biggest bang for the buck.
Agreed
I did similar work on the GC SRT
But also swapped injectors.
Truth is, once you start pushing for more numbers, the higher you go, the steeper the cost factor.

$1m funny cars are a good example. 🤣

I’m more interested in a reusable filter and better sounding exhaust.
Doesn’t Livernous claim about 60-70hp?

I won’t run another AFE filter, the last one let a ton of fine dust get passed the filter and into my engine. The 392 already has a 3X larger filter than other Wranglers. After all the headaches I’ve had over the years, gonna stay with stock on this one.

—S
Total opposite for me. The K&N passed dirt and dust according to the oil analysis. I did three tests with three different oiled filters and still had the same problem.
AFE filter kept my intake clean and the oil analysis said " your oil is finally free of dirt". Maybe your bearings will survive.
Never really liked "oiling" a filter for a vehicle.

I only recently heard of AFE Power when I was looking for these tub rail covers. I like them but their attention to detail is a little lacking or they are referring to a different bolt with their T-40 stamp.

IMG_8459.JPG

Total opposite for me. The K&N passed dirt and dust according to the oil analysis. I did three tests with three different oiled filters and still had the same problem.
AFE filter kept my intake clean and the oil analysis said " your oil is finally free of dirt". Maybe your bearings will survive.
Curios
I’ve always ran K&N with pre filters.
Had them in vehicles for nearly 100k miles. Also in an off road racing ATV and never had issues.

I’m sure you guys know, the oil on the filter is just to collect fine particulate. I would think dry would permit more dust.

I see AFE has both options.
Either way, any brand, I’m a fan of pre filters in addition to the fabric.

Agreed
I did similar work on the GC SRT
But also swapped injectors.
Truth is, once you start pushing for more numbers, the higher you go, the steeper the cost factor.

$1m funny cars are a good example. 🤣

I’m more interested in a reusable filter and better sounding exhaust.
Doesn’t Livernous claim about 60-70hp?
No. Max hp gain (at peak) is 25 and torque about 30 lb-ft.

More is gained in the middle where that dip is. At one point it is almost 60 lb-ft of torque and 50 hp.

The guy states the gains wrong in the video. Below 5252 rpm, torque in lb-ft is always going to be higher than hp. Thus the torque gains in those units will be higher than hp gains.

Having said all of that, even though they misstate the gains which aggravates me, looking at that gain in the midrange makes me want a tune.

The thing is so much of a beast just like it is, that I don't want to mess with the warranty. Still toying with idea of buying extended warranty, but if I do that, I'll kind of be locking myself into not modifying it for 7 years.......don't know if I can hold out that long and what a moron I would be to buy the extended warranty and then void it.........

I didn’t need oil analysis on my ‘20, the entire inside of the intake tube was covered in dust and grit, thanks to the AFE filter. And yes, I can guarantee my bearings will survive. I use stock filters now, problem solved.

—S

Attachments

• 2BB9EF56-2416-409E-822C-55FD36425E6D.jpeg
    2BB9EF56-2416-409E-822C-55FD36425E6D.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 57
  • 69712559-2D3F-4466-93F5-5BA28050DA7C.jpeg
    69712559-2D3F-4466-93F5-5BA28050DA7C.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 182B2A50-6594-4DAB-8F62-255E95A3641D.jpeg
    182B2A50-6594-4DAB-8F62-255E95A3641D.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 62
I won’t run another AFE filter, the last one let a ton of fine dust get passed the filter and into my engine. The 392 already has a 3X larger filter than other Wranglers. After all the headaches I’ve had over the years, gonna stay with stock on this one.

—S
Totally agree!

I didn’t need oil analysis on my ‘20, the entire inside of the intake tube was covered in dust and grit, thanks to the AFE filter. And yes, I can guarantee my bearings will survive. I use stock filters now, problem solved.

—S

Why didn't you contact AFE about their filter and show them those photos?
Sorry, but I don't believe that's from a AFE filter.
That actually looks like someone forgot to install a filter.
It happens more than you know. Same reason I don't take any of my vehicles to a quick oil change place.
We are human and we forget!
To each his own I guess.

Why didn't you contact AFE about their filter and show them those photos?
Sorry, but I don't believe that's from a AFE filter.
That actually looks like someone forgot to install a filter.
It happens more than you know. Same reason I don't take any of my vehicles to a quick oil change place.
We are human and we forget!
To each his own I guess.
Who said I haven’t? And I installed the filter, personally. The issue was contaminants getting past the seal around the edges. You can literally see the AFe filter in the air box in one of the photos. I also have third-party documentation from a reputable shop when they were performing other work. Lastly, I don’t care what you believe, it didn’t happen to you.

—S

Last edited:
Who said I haven’t? And I installed the filter, personally. The issue was contaminants getting past the seal around the edges. You can literally see the AFe filter in the air box in one of the photos. I also have third-party documentation from a reputable shop when they were performing other work. Lastly, I don’t care what you believe, it didn’t happen to you.

—S
The new one for 392 has rubber seals that fit super tight and clamped so I don't see how dirt and debris can get through but I'll keep an eye on it to see if it allows dirt and other contaminates by

And remember, "additional airflow" is a marketing gimmick if the vehicle isn't maxing out its existing factory filter (the 392 is not).

--S
I was just getting ready to comment that the 392 isn't maxing it's filters airflow anyhow. OEM filter for me too.

Ordered air and headers more air in more air out more performance 👍thanks for the post
Did you ever put the headers on?
notice any difference?

Did you ever put the headers on?
notice any difference?
I installed the aFe ceramic headers yesterday and I notice a little deeper sound but I didn't notice any difference driving it this morning to work. I am waiting for S&B to finish with the intake so I can get one and them I will use my HP Tuner to tune it.

When someone gets this installed would like to know how it sounds. The one on my 3.6 JK was so loud that I took it off. It was ridiculously loud. 392 one may not be as loud due to hydroguide, but interested to hear first hand reports.

Decided not to do the headers just for heat purposes but did install the intake it's not loud and it seems to have a better mid range power
I’ll be putting on the AFE intake and Borla exhaust.

I read the ceramic coated headers reduce heat by 46%, but I believe that’s compared to the stainless AFE headers.

I’m considering the headers and the Livernous tune as well.

I’ll be putting on the AFE intake and Borla exhaust.

I read the ceramic coated headers reduce heat by 46%, but I believe that’s compared to the stainless AFE headers.

I’m considering the headers and the Livernous tune as well.
Nice keep us posted cause if the headers reduce overall heat I prob would do them

Back