AFE Cold Air Intake

MrDavo

Reaction score
Current Rides
2021 Jeep Wrangler 392, 2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock

Anyone going to pre-order this for August?

No! But been waiting for them to announce so thanks!

Looks interesting, but not really any more of a cold air intake than the stock filter since it hooks right up to the hydroguide which is already a cold air intake. The larger filter size is appealing as the 392 does have a smallish air filter relative to the 3.6. Seems like it should be bigger since the engine is much larger and flows a lot more air....

The other thought......I had an AFE filter on my 2013 JKUR for a short period of time. It deleted the air intake resonator and was loud....way too loud in an annoying (not cool sounding way)..... Will be interesting to see how this changes the sound of the 392. I wouldn't mind a little intake noise on this beast to go along with all the other wonderful sounds. I will be waiting to hear reviews and hear how other people like this before buying it.

Looks interesting, but not really any more of a cold air intake than the stock filter since it hooks right up to the hydroguide which is already a cold air intake. The larger filter size is appealing as the 392 does have a smallish air filter relative to the 3.6. Seems like it should be bigger since the engine is much larger and flows a lot more air....

The other thought......I had an AFE filter on my 2013 JKUR for a short period of time. It deleted the air intake resonator and was loud....way too loud in an annoying (not cool sounding way)..... Will be interesting to see how this changes the sound of the 392. I wouldn't mind a little intake noise on this beast to go along with all the other wonderful sounds. I will be waiting to hear reviews and hear how other people like this before buying it.
I believe this was made to work with the hydroguide

I believe this was made to work with the hydroguide
I think so too. That’s why I say it’s no more of a cold air intake than we already have. Just a larger better filter. Maybe a change in intake noise. I could not believe how loud the afe filter on my jk was.

I’m curious about this as well. I’m a fan of K&N, and only did 1 cold air intake, which was on my Jeep GC SRT. There wasn’t any additional noise, which I was surprised by. But I also wondered if the exhaust and engine noise from a larger engine overcasted any drone? IDK…
The only AFE product I ever bought was the exhaust for my JK. I can’t recall the model, but I remember people saying the 3.5” had a lot of drone as compared to the 2.5”. I did the 2.5 and was pleased.
im almost willing to order this, just for the reusable filter and unrestrained air flow, particularly at altitude. I like pre wraps as well. They help.

Ordered air and headers more air in more air out more performance 👍thanks for the post

Ordered air and headers more air in more air out more performance 👍thanks for the post
I saw those headers as well. Combined, about 24 HP by their claims?
curious To see how much of a difference you notice.
my last 392, I did mods to the motor, intake, exhaust, and net just under 90HP and 110ft.lbs. Of torque. It was noticeable but not dramatic.

I saw those headers as well. Combined, about 24 HP by their claims?
curious To see how much of a difference you notice.
my last 392, I did mods to the motor, intake, exhaust, and net just under 90HP and 110ft.lbs. Of torque. It was noticeable but not dramatic.
Yah cool with the hp and torque but also it should be louder 🤣

I hope their quality has improved since 2014ish. Last intake I bought for my JK was a complete pile of junk.
K&N .. Volant... JLT.. among the many others I have had on various vehicles blew AFE away on quality and OEM like install.

Anyone buy anything new in the last few years that can confirm quality is decent?

I won’t run another AFE filter, the last one let a ton of fine dust get passed the filter and into my engine. The 392 already has a 3X larger filter than other Wranglers. After all the headaches I’ve had over the years, gonna stay with stock on this one.

—S

I’ve done my fair share of cold air intakes, along with other performance upgrades..
now I have a factory setup that runs circles around and vehicle I’ve ever owned..
I’m very satisfied, the 392 is a lifetime achievement having various Jeep’s over the past 50 years...
Yup. I’ve done it all. Countless times. The 392 is well engineered, has crazy power for the platform, and it already has a factory cold air intake. I’m satisfied too.

—S

Has no one installed the Cold Air Intake? I'm sitting here on Extreme Terrain thinking about buying one - but some comments on AFE's past quality on intake filters leaves me with some concerns. Thanks!

Has no one installed the Cold Air Intake? I'm sitting here on Extreme Terrain thinking about buying one - but some comments on AFE's past quality on intake filters leaves me with some concerns. Thanks!
Maybe I am missing something but by design isn't the hood scoop on our 392 already as cold air of a cold air intake you could have?:unsure:

Maybe I am missing something but by design isn't the hood scoop on our 392 already as cold air of a cold air intake you could have?:unsure:
Yes, but this replaces paper filer with one that provides additional airflow and is cleanable. It retains the use of the hydroglide hood scoop. I would expect more motor sound and maybe a slight change in exhaust note.

Yes
But then, there are some of us who have distrust with the engineers.
I believe if K& N, or another, made a filter element that proved better CFM over stick, that would be ideal.
This far, I think AFE is the only one.

Personally, I want to do livernous, AFE air box, AFE headers, Borla ATAK exhaust.
On paper, close to 100hp gains.
My bet is real numbers are closer to 70-80hp, max.

@ameldorf just posted in "What have you done to your 392 today". Thread.

Yes
But then, there are some of us who have distrust with the engineers.
I believe if K& N, or another, made a filter element that proved better CFM over stick, that would be ideal.
This far, I think AFE is the only one.

Personally, I want to do livernous, AFE air box, AFE headers, Borla ATAK exhaust.
On paper, close to 100hp gains.
My bet is real numbers are closer to 70-80hp, max.
I bet almost all of the gain will be from the tune and a lot of that gain is not max hp. It removes the dip in the factory power curve by delaying a transition (cam phasing or intake runners) until a higher rpm. I think you'll be lucky to get 20hp from air box, headers and exhaust and that is a TON of money per HP.

I am interested in seeing dyno results and hearing first hand reports. The tune is almost certainly the biggest bang for the buck.

Back