AEV 2.5" vs MC 2.5" Gamechanger

dblplay1212

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm not overly knowledgeable in Jeeps. I don't own a tool set beyond a screwdriver and hammer.

Really looking for on-road comfort more than anything. Currently running 37" Baja Boss on my XR. I do ride some trails here in Florida but it's all very flat and going over a downed tree is about the extent of articulation on most rides. I could see myself doing some trails in north GA or TN at some point but not really building this thing for that. That would b e a once a year deal at most. I work from home so it doesn't get driven a ton. Mostly it's a fun weekend ride for my wife, daughter, and I to run errands in on the weekends. It sees the beach more than the trails. There's a next to 0% chance this thing ever sees rocks. They don't exist in Florida. I could almost certainly get by with no lift but I have rubbed the fenders a few times and I like the look of the additional lift.

My local shop is a big fan of MC so leaning that way as of now but I've always wanted to try AEV. idk, probably marketing, but they just seem near OEM to me. I have custom Radflo shocks on order and they are due in over the next couple of weeks so need to make a decision. Any advice would be helpful.

AEV, and other kits like it use drop-down brackets to ensure that as you lift the jeep, you retain stock suspension geometry (caster in particular). This generally does a much better job of preserving OEM ride quality than other kits, which generally use adjustable length control arms to dial in geometry.

Here's a gif from MC that does a pretty good job of visualizing what drop down brackets do after adding lift coils:
7073-JK-Front-Control-Arm-Drop-Bracket-Stock-Control-Arms.gif

The AEV 2.5" will retain your stock control arms, utilizing just a coil spring and drop down brackets to achieve the lift. As mentioned, this will do a great job of preserving OEM ride, at the expense of some ground clearance loss due to that drop bracket and little to no improvement on suspension flex due to retaining the stock control arm bushings.

The 2.5" MC Gamechanger on the other hand comes with a full set of adjustable control arms with more flexible joints than the stock arms. Suspension geometry correction is achieved by lengthening the control arms rather than lowering them. Generally with more flexible joints, you're sacrificing some ride quality, though these days modern aftermarket joints do a much better job than they have in the past.

1660661441060.png

If you're not planning to do much more offroading than the stock 392 can already handle, the AEV system will be great for you.

If you do plan, or even think you might want to get into more technical offroading, I'd go for the MC system as the superior option for a bit of "future proofing".

Hope this helps man!

Attachments

• 1660660572759.png
    1660660572759.png
    142.5 KB · Views: 39
AEV, and other kits like it use drop-down brackets to ensure that as you lift the jeep, you retain stock suspension geometry (caster in particular). This generally does a much better job of preserving OEM ride quality than other kits, which generally use adjustable length control arms to dial in geometry.

Here's a gif from MC that does a pretty good job of visualizing what drop down brackets do after adding lift coils:
7073-JK-Front-Control-Arm-Drop-Bracket-Stock-Control-Arms.gif

The AEV 2.5" will retain your stock control arms, utilizing just a coil spring and drop down brackets to achieve the lift. As mentioned, this will do a great job of preserving OEM ride, at the expense of some ground clearance loss due to that drop bracket and little to no improvement on suspension flex due to retaining the stock control arm bushings.

The 2.5" MC Gamechanger on the other hand comes with a full set of adjustable control arms with more flexible joints than the stock arms. Suspension geometry correction is achieved by lengthening the control arms rather than lowering them. Generally with more flexible joints, you're sacrificing some ride quality, though these days modern aftermarket joints do a much better job than they have in the past.

View attachment 6473

If you're not planning to do much more offroading than the stock 392 can already handle, the AEV system will be great for you.

If you do plan, or even think you might want to get into more technical offroading, I'd go for the MC system as the superior option for a bit of "future proofing".

Hope this helps man!
Holy shit, THANK YOU so much for this explanation. That gif explained it so well. So my takeaway is AEV will probably ride better on-road while MC will perform much better off-road, especially if clearance is an issue. Sound right? Leaning AEV now as I want on-road more than off-road. The Jeep in current form will handle almost everything I'm going to try to do with it. Thank you again!

Holy shit, THANK YOU so much for this explanation. That gif explained it so well. So my takeaway is AEV will probably ride better on-road while MC will perform much better off-road, especially if clearance is an issue. Sound right? Leaning AEV now as I want on-road more than off-road. The Jeep in current form will handle almost everything I'm going to try to do with it. Thank you again!

You got it my dude. Glad to help!

The AEV 2.5 kits works exceptionally well and the Bilstein are awesome (especially the upgraded 8100s). AEV retains and improves stock ride quality, while providing plenty of capability. It retains a lot of stock parts (like arms), doesn't look overly aftermarket, so most dealers wont give it a second look (and many are AEV dealer's o they get it), and is designed to be as OE-like as possible.

I have been wheeling all over the Southwest, with and without a tent on top, never been on a trailer, and never had to turn back on a trail, all while running stock arms. 30,000 miles later and the suspension is as quiet as it was on Day 1, not a sound coming from it. I've hustled through the desert fast, I've crawled through the mountains slow, and I've commuted.

This is not a knock on MC, only an affirmation from my own experience with AEV. I like MC as well. The MC stuff is nice and I know those guys personally and they do make a great product, but don't let anyone tell you the AEV stuff "is for highway only" or "isn't designed for crawling" or "real" off-roading. The 2.5 DS is a fully engineered kit, not some beginner kit you can't grow with.

I'm going back to the AEV setup on my 392 and will continue to enjoy the performance, quality, and comfort.

--S

IMG_1281 6.JPG

IMG_0579 2.jpg
IMG_2299 2.JPG

IMG_0781 2.jpg

_CW_0909 2.JPG

Last edited:
For your needs it sounds like AEV is the perfect fit. They replace minimal parts so it retains most of the factory suspension.

MC is very high quality and is all about maximum flex both in up and down travel. Since you will primarily be on flat ground that aspect wont be much of a benefit. However, the duroflex joint is simply all around better than the factory joint which AEV retains. It firms up the ride without being jarring, is extremely durable, long lasting, and does not bind.

Dollar for dallar, MC is a vastly superior lift.

Ugh this is hard. My shop is a huge MC fan and is really pushing that. I trust my shop way more than me. But damn a huge piece of me wants to do the whole AEV Jeep, lift and bumpers. I've lusted over the AEV look for years and really just want to do that. And I'm a brand whore, I like to stick with one brand so having it all the same is appealing to me.

I just put 3000 miles on my new AEV 2.5 DS with the 8100 shocks. It’s pretty great and you won‘t be disappointed if you go that route. Like you, I’ve always like AEV stuff. The 392 with the AEV is the best Jeep I’ve ever owned. Color me a fanboy.

The MC isn’t vastly superior to the AEV lift. In the rocks, the MC is probably a little better; on the road, the AEV is probably a little better. But “vastly” is a stretch…even dollar for dollar.

Let me first say I own both and have since 2017.

AEV is basically nothing more than the factory suspension with geometry brackets and longer springs. The flex is still limited, the joints still bind, and they can't handle nor hold up in routine severe environments. All fine If you're primarily on the road or simply overloading.

MC is a complete suspension replacement built around the Duroflex joint which is VASTLY superior to OEM in every conceivable way. Factory joints (AEV) & MC joints should not even be discussed in the same conversation. Duroflex joints are maintenance free, have full 360° rotation, offer superior flex, and simply hold up in severe environments.

Im not saying this to be smart, but if you honestly believe OEM is the best joint out there you really need to research joints to understand the differences.

Ugh this is hard. My shop is a huge MC fan and is really pushing that. I trust my shop way more than me. But damn a huge piece of me wants to do the whole AEV Jeep, lift and bumpers. I've lusted over the AEV look for years and really just want to do that. And I'm a brand whore, I like to stick with one brand so having it all the same is appealing to me.
It's your Jeep, get what YOU want, not what the shop is pushing (but again, MC makes a great setup). I showed you pics of my AEV setup in action and if you think the AEV kit was holding me back, I can send some more, lol.

--S

It's your Jeep, get what YOU want, not what the shop is pushing (but again, MC makes a great setup). I showed you pics of my AEV setup in action and if you think the AEV kit was holding me back, I can send some more, lol.

--S
Oh no, your pics were more than I'll ever do in mine. And I admittedly don't know enough about either to choose so I'll default to what my shop thinks. Honestly the main reason I want AEV is bc I like the styling of all of their products and that doesn't and their marketing/branding is great lol.

Let me first say I own both and have since 2017.

AEV is basically nothing more than the factory suspension with geometry brackets and longer springs. The flex is still limited, the joints still bind, and they can't handle nor hold up in routine severe environments. All fine If you're primarily on the road or simply overloading.

MC is a complete suspension replacement built around the Duroflex joint which is VASTLY superior to OEM in every conceivable way. Factory joints (AEV) & MC joints should not even be discussed in the same conversation. Duroflex joints are maintenance free, have full 360° rotation, offer superior flex, and simply hold up in severe environments.

Im not saying this to be smart, but if you honestly believe OEM is the best joint out there you really need to research joints to understand the differences

It all comes down to use case and what you need out of the system, but you are over simplifying AEV's suspension. Its not just a geometry bracket and longer springs. And I have probably used my AEV 2.5 DS harder than just about anyone with a JL, so I will let you know that your comment that it "can't handle" and "nor hold up" in routine severe environments is absolutely untrue and disengenuous to the conversation. MC has an arguably better joint, depending on your use case, but not everything revolves around the joint... there is much more to a suspension than that. You can also put different joints/arms on the AEV kit if you wanted to.

Again, not discounting MC, I love the product, but also going to make sure that misinformation isn't out there about the AEV suspension since I have tens of thousands of off-road miles on them and my job, literally, is to educate people so they can pick the right setup for their ride and use case.

MC aside, AEV designs their stuff with a holistic approach. If you use their Bilstein shocks, their lift, and their wheels, with the recommended tire fitment, you are guaranteed an amazing ride, improved capability, no rubbing, and no noise. Take my experience for what its worth to you. Discount if you want.

--S

It all comes down to use case and what you need out of the system, but you are over simplifying AEV's suspension. Its not just a geometry bracket and longer springs. And I have probably used my AEV 2.5 DS harder than just about anyone with a JL, so I will let you know that your comment that it "can't handle" and "nor hold up" in routine severe environments is absolutely untrue and disengenuous to the conversation. MC has an arguably better joint, depending on your use case, but not everything revolves around the joint... there is much more to a suspension than that. You can also put different joints/arms on the AEV kit if you wanted to.

Again, not discounting MC, I love the product, but also going to make sure that misinformation isn't out there about the AEV suspension since I have tens of thousands of off-road miles on them and my job, literally, is to educate people so they can pick the right setup for their ride and use case.

MC aside, AEV designs their stuff with a holistic approach. If you use their Bilstein shocks, their lift, and their wheels, with the recommended tire fitment, you are guaranteed an amazing ride, improved capability, no rubbing, and no noise. Take my experience for what its worth to you. Discount if you want.

--S
You bring up a good point on the shocks. I'm definitely going with Radflo, already ordered and paid for them. Do you know anything about them? Would they pair better with AEV or MC?

You bring up a good point on the shocks. I'm definitely going with Radflo, already ordered and paid for them. Do you know anything about them? Would they pair better with AEV or MC?
I would probably say MC, only for the point that the AEV kit is designed to work as a fully engineered unit, and not piecemeal (to that point, so is MC). I wouldn't run anything but the AEV/Bilsteins on AEV, because the magic is in that pairing. Radflo has some very nice products available.

--S

--S
If it's more than geometry brackets and longer springs, what exactly is there? All of the the main components retain the factory suspension.

AEV:
Stock arms + joints
Stock F&R Track bars
Stock drag link

You do get F&R end links but thats a whoooole lotta factory parts.

I guess I will ask you this question in a different way:
Why does MC recommend a wheel with a 4.5 bs (4.75 absolute minimum) while AEV gets along just fine with a 5.72 bs?

I have a feeling this video demonstrates why:

I would probably say MC, only for the point that the AEV kit is designed to work as a fully engineered unit, and not piecemeal (to that point, so is MC). I wouldn't run anything but the AEV/Bilsteins on AEV, because the magic is in that pairing. Radflo has some very nice products available.

--S
Well damn, kinda regret ordering the Radflo now. I should have went with my gut and just ordered the full AEV kit. Oh well, too late now. The XP kit for AEV with the 8100's is out of stock though.

Back