A cool article on how Jeep made the 392.

jeep392-build-article.png

I came across this article from Hagerty about how the 392 was created. I figured it would give us something to read while we are waiting the eternal wait.​

How Jeep made the Wrangler Rubicon 392, in nitty-gritty detail​

Enjoy,
Big500

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice read! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing. There is also a pretty good and interesting article telling the story about how the Rubicon Wrangler came to be. I'll post it when I find it.

I came across this article from Hagerty about how the 392 was created. I figured it would give us something to read while we are waiting the eternal wait.​

How Jeep made the Wrangler Rubicon 392, in nitty-gritty detail​

Enjoy,
Big500
Thanks for sharing. I love reading that kind of stuff. Not that anyone on this website would be obsessed about 392's :)
Certainly not me......

Glad you guys like it. You can thank my obsessive compulsive disorder whenever researching a new project to buy.

Glad you guys like it. You can thank my obsessive compulsive disorder whenever researching a new project to buy.
I have that same OCD research tendency! :LOL:
But seriously this was a great article, it answers so many questions!
Such as; Why is there no 2WD in the 392? The MP3022 transfer case has the ability to shift into 2WD. And now Tazer JL (ForceRWD) has returned this functionality. I wonder if Tazer JL is actually shifting into 2WD or just 4WD AUTO Torque Biased 100% to the Rear. Either way it would be awesome if there was a way to trigger this function using a button like this (for tactical use only):
jeep-wrangler-392-smokey-burnout-button.jpg

Another question it answered is; What did they do with the front axel disconnect (FAD)? Well it's basically still there, they just removed the front axel module and cast a custom fork into the cover plate to keep it connected all the time. Kinda cheap compared to a true solid shaft, but I get it from a manufacturing point of view. Here is a great "walk around" with the guys at WFO concepts showing the FAD cover plate as well as some smokey burnouts:
Finally it answers the question; Why did they install CV joints on the front axel? One word, steering. Since the 392 is essentially always stuck in 4WD the U-Joints typical on other Wranglers would cause steering to be "greatly affected" during normal use. The article goes on to say "All Wrangler models with Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System have CV joints, properly sized for tall tires and the demands of off-roading." Good to know.
Thanks for sharing that article @Big500

Thanks for sharing, that was a good read! It just makes me want to buy the tazer for 2wd even more...ha!

Back