392 6.4L Hemi Recommend Engine Break-in Procedures?

Membrain

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
2020 JTR / 2021 JLUR XR 392
Hey - I posted this in another forum and also wanted to post it here...
Can anyone who already has their 392 check in the Owner's Manual for the recommended Engine Break-in Procedures and post them here?
I've already seen a couple of "yayhoo-toob" videos of new owners and even salesmen at the dealership running these things (questionably) hard... and then there are a number of new owners whom have reported their 392s had at least 20 or more miles already on them when they arrived at the dealership.

Are we not all aware of the "factory recommended break-in period" for the 6.4L Hemi?
I'm sure it is published in the Owner's Manual, but since I don't have mine yet, I've provided what might be the appropriate snippets from my son's 2020 Dodge Charger 392 6.4L Hemi Widebody... I'm sure there are going to be some similarities:

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
The following tips will be helpful in obtaining optimum performance and maximum durability for your new SRT vehicle.
Despite modern technology and World Class manufacturing methods, the moving parts of the vehicle must still wear in with each other. This wearing in occurs mainly during the first 500 miles (805 km) and continues through the first oil change interval.
It is recommended for the operator to observe the following driving behaviors during the new vehicle break-in period:
0 to 100 miles (0 to 161 km):
• Do not allow the engine to operate at idle for an extended period of time.
• Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration.
• Avoid aggressive braking.
• Drive with the engine speed less than 3,500 RPM.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 55 mph (88 km/h) and observe local speed limits.
100 to 300 miles (161 to 483 km):
• Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration in lower gears (1st to 3rd gears).
• Drive with the engine speed less than 5,000 RPM.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 70 mph (112 km/h) and observe local speed limits.
300 to 500 miles (483 to 805 km):
• Exercise the full engine rpm range, shifting manually at higher rpms when possible.
• Do not perform sustained operation with the accelerator pedal at wide open throttle.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 85 mph (136 km/h) and observe local speed limits.
For the first 1500 miles (2414 km):
• Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during the first 1500 miles (2414 km).

How do we know procedures(?) were followed on such a vehicle that arrives at the dealership with 20+ miles on it?

So, yes, I'm asking someone to look in their glovebox, find the new shrink-wrapped Owner's Manual, unwrap it and actually look for the procedures.

:)

Can anyone who already has their 392 check in the Owner's Manual for the recommended Engine Break-in Procedures and post them here?
I've already seen a couple of "yayhoo-toob" videos of new owners and even salesmen at the dealership running these things (questionably) hard... and then there are a number of new owners whom have reported their 392s had at least 20 or more miles already on them when they arrived at the dealership.

Are we not all aware of the "factory recommended break-in period" for the 6.4L Hemi?
I'm sure it is published in the Owner's Manual, but since I don't have mine yet, I've provided what might be the appropriate snippets from my son's 2020 Dodge Charger 392 6.4L Hemi Widebody... I'm sure there are going to be some similarities:

The following tips will be helpful in obtaining optimum performance and maximum durability for your new SRT vehicle.
Despite modern technology and World Class manufacturing methods, the moving parts of the vehicle must still wear in with each other. This wearing in occurs mainly during the first 500 miles (805 km) and continues through the first oil change interval.
It is recommended for the operator to observe the following driving behaviors during the new vehicle break-in period:
• Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration.
• Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration in lower gears (1st to 3rd gears).
• Maintain vehicle speed below 70 mph (112 km/h) and observe local speed limits.
• Exercise the full engine rpm range, shifting manually at higher rpms when possible.
• Do not perform sustained operation with the accelerator pedal at wide open throttle.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 85 mph (136 km/h) and observe local speed limits.
• Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during the first 1500 miles (2414 km).

How do we know procedures(?) were followed on such a vehicle that arrives at the dealership with 20+ miles on it?

So, yes, I'm asking someone to look in their glovebox, find the new shrink-wrapped Owner's Manual, unwrap it and actually look for the procedures.

Rumor has it, that it is located on page 6...

I wonder if that means they recommend No off-roading for 1500 miles?

I’ll be honest...it’s VERY hard to follow that break-in procedure. It’s so responsive you find yourself at 85 mph before even thinking about it. I’m trying my best to keep it caged up but I already had to smoke some dude pushing my button. Mine did have the BS “QA” sticker on the drivers window with 40 miles on it when I picked it up....I’ve only had it for 1 day LOL

I’ll be honest...it’s VERY hard to follow that break-in procedure. It’s so responsive you find yourself at 85 mph before even thinking about it. I’m trying my best to keep it caged up but I already had to smoke some dude pushing my button. Mine did have the BS “QA” sticker on the drivers window with 40 miles on it when I picked it up....I’ve only had it for 1 day LOL
Hahahahaha exactly!

Aha thank you!
key phrase is "supplemental"
If you can get to where you download the ownersmanual then look for the supplements and more box...
find it as the "392 Performance and Features Guide" selection...
the actual document downloaded for the 392 supplement is named P126854_21_JL_RUB_SU_EN_USC_DIGITAL.pdf

Simply put, drive it like Clark Kent would for the first 500 miles. Then you can be Superman. ...lol

Driving it home from the dealer doing 55 when everyone else was doing 70 may have been more painful than the 2 month wait for the order to arrive. Proper break in sucks, but a necessary evil for longevity.

Just hit the 1000 mile mark, and its tire roasting time until the backordered nitto 37's arrive.

Driving it home from the dealer doing 55 when everyone else was doing 70 may have been more painful than the 2 month wait for the order to arrive. Proper break in sucks, but a necessary evil for longevity.

Just hit the 1000 mile mark, and its tire roasting time until the backordered nitto 37's arrive.
Agree. Just put the first 100 miles today and they were painful. Started flexing the RPMS a little in 4-8 gears (staying under the recommended 5,000 RPMs of course). That already made me smile.

1629523344083.png

If your even thinking about getting the Pedal Commander, now would be the time. Running the Pedal Commander in "Eco" mode sure helped hold it and me back so that we both could properly follow the break in recommendations.

I broke mine in by taking her (and my wife!) on a backroads (avoiding toll roads) BNB trip from DFW to Tulsa, driving on parts of the iconic Route 66 up the first day and then back the second day. Cruise control worked fine for running the engine through all the ranges as we went up and down over the rolling hills while maintaining the various speed limits... and I actually got 17.3 mpg!

I just picked up my new 392 and drove it 85 miles home on the highway....almost got killed going 55 in a 65 zone. I had to gas it to 65 a couple of times just to avoid trucks rushing up from behind lol. No way I could maintain 55 entire trip. Oh well...I'm over 100 miles day one!

I Found this on page 143 of the 2021 manual. - Copied and pasted here.

"ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS — GASOLINE ENGINE (IF EQUIPPED) A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable. While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided. The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur."

Just my mumbo jumbo below this line.
My SRT wouldn't permit a launch prior to 500 miles. Aside from that, I just drive them. I didn't do a lot of full throttle. But it was hard not to... With my SRT, I just drove "normally" for 500 miles. Outside of that, just no quick stops, towing, etc. I also change out that initial oil fill at 2500 miles. And again at 5000 miles. I did do the first launch at around 600 miles.
At 50k on the odometer now and still, not a single issue. I also change the oil every 5k with Mobil 1, 0-40 synthetic, regardless of the % of oil life.
The BMW, I drove easy for the first 500. Even though they say it's not necessary. I was told by a rep for BMW at the recent autocross event, it was more about litigious concerns here in the US. The thought? If there is a failure, it will be at a lower speed (RPM and MPH). Not sure how much of this is true though. However, it does make sense.

I bought a few Volvos which didn't require any break in. Why? They hook up every motors to an engine stand and run it to within 1k to the redline. Their belief is, if it's going to blow, best to have it do so at the factory. Watching this done at the plant in Gothenberg was pretty cool to watch.

Back