37's on a Recon meet spec if you go with Newer Mickey Baja Boss A/T

Smess

Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Rides
2021 Jeep 392, 2021 Jeep Gladiator, 1982 Jeep J10
I was on the Mickey site as I had 20's on my original 392 and noticed that the new Baja Boss All Terrain says a 8 inch wide rim is sufficient. Most 37x12.5's call for a min 8.5

I love the ride of the 17" wheel, so soft, so on my Recon I decided to do the stock wheel since it is 8 wide with the 37x12.5x17

For all of you that are wanting to cram 37s on narrow rims which is borderine not safe (especially 7.5 wide) try the Mickey. Every Mickey I have ever owned I have loved and every tire guy I talk so says a Nitto to a Mickey is like a Bronco to a Jeep.

I will post pics when installed

I was on the Mickey site as I had 20's on my original 392 and noticed that the new Baja Boss All Terrain says a 8 inch wide rim is sufficient. Most 37x12.5's call for a min 8.5

I love the ride of the 17" wheel, so soft, so on my Recon I decided to do the stock wheel since it is 8 wide with the 37x12.5x17

For all of you that are wanting to cram 37s on narrow rims which is borderine not safe (especially 7.5 wide) try the Mickey. Every Mickey I have ever owned I have loved and every tire guy I talk so says a Nitto to a Mickey is like a Bronco to a Jeep.

I will post pics when installed
How are you liking the 37s? How's the gearing with them?

How are you liking the 37s? How's the gearing with them?
For me personally, I lost a ton when I moved to 37's on my XR. it's hard to explain, but the takeoff was very delayed. When I hit the gas, the engine would rev loud but the Jeep wasn't taking off like it had. The back end would sit down but it wouldn't explode off the line. I drove from Florida to Asheville, TN like that and it was noticeably different. When I got back, I added the Tazer just to tell the Jeep I had 37s and it worked perfect. All the power came back. Then I added a Pedal Commander and now it's better than ever. So overall the gears seemed fine, just needed to know what it was turning.

For me personally, I lost a ton when I moved to 37's on my XR. it's hard to explain, but the takeoff was very delayed. When I hit the gas, the engine would rev loud but the Jeep wasn't taking off like it had. The back end would sit down but it wouldn't explode off the line. I drove from Florida to Asheville, TN like that and it was noticeably different. When I got back, I added the Tazer just to tell the Jeep I had 37s and it worked perfect. All the power came back. Then I added a Pedal Commander and now it's better than ever. So overall the gears seemed fine, just needed to know what it was turning.
Curious as you already have the 4:56 gears, what do you think the tazer did that brought back power? Telling it had 37's would have dialed in your speedo but power?

Curious as you already have the 4:56 gears, what do you think the tazer did that brought back power? Telling it had 37's would have dialed in your speedo but power?
Hard to explain on here but sometimes you just have to say "trust me" but the quick answer is shift points.

I have the exact same optional features that dbl has and I can tell you that the Recon is 100% on the money wth 4.56 and 37's. My non Recon would wind out trying to reach 8th gear but with the Recon and Tazer and Pedal commander the Jeep has power everwhere and all the time. I have my PC set to sport + settiing #2 and my 700hp sports car rarely gets driven any more.

I have all the same things and a dana 60 with 39.5's and 4.88 gears matched with the diesel and that actually turns those 39.5's just as good. Whatever is lagging is made up for by the pedal commander

My non Recon 392 with the same 37's I did the force 2wd with the tazer so it was only rear wheel drive when i ran the PC juiced up pretty high because I really felt like was going to leave the transfer case sitting at the stop light when I took off. The Recon I dont feel that way at all, the vehicle is so responsive at all speeds it all feels tight and right.

The non Recon matched with 35's is perfect but long term the 37.s need a bigger gear.

what 37's are you running?

Basically, the transmission is taking its inputs from the ECU, which is getting its inputs from the wheel speed sensors. The ECU is programmed to read that wheel speed for whatever your stock tire size is, so if you don't use a tool like the tazer or others to tell your ECU that you've changed your tire size, the ECU and tranny still think you're on stock tires. This can cause all sorts of issues (more issues the larger the tire size change) from slow, laggy shifts and lacking power, to traction control/abs issues and more.

Honestly idk, I can just say I felt the difference driving it. I'm not a technical guy when it comes to Jeeps.
Basically, the transmission is taking its inputs from the ECU, which is getting its inputs from the wheel speed sensors. The ECU is programmed to read that wheel speed for whatever your stock tire size is, so if you don't use a tool like the tazer or others to tell your ECU that you've changed your tire size, the ECU and tranny still think you're on stock tires. This can cause all sorts of issues (more issues the larger the tire size change) from slow, laggy shifts and lacking power, to traction control/abs issues and more.
But this makes sense lol

now that makes sense. Thanks!

Any feedback on the snow/winter driving with these Mickeys? I was just doing a comparison on Tirerack, there's no rating though.

1677601243970-png.720358

1677601284997-png.720359

Any feedback on the snow/winter driving with these Mickeys? I was just doing a comparison on Tirerack, there's no rating though.

1677601243970-png.720358

1677601284997-png.720359

I'd be mindful of tire weight. It will make a difference.

Back