Looks like a finely blown piston.
That’s a lot of miles in a month.

Did you do the break in on the motor?
what RPM were you at when it dropped?

Looks like a finely blown piston.
That’s a lot of miles in a month.

Did you do the break in on the motor?
what RPM were you at when it dropped?
Close to 1000 of the miles were from the trip back from Granger.

I did follow the break in as outlined by Jeep, espically within the first 500 miles.

I'm not really poaitive about the RPMs, I had pulled out of a side road and had just gotten up to speed, I was in no hurry so was not on it at all.

In that mess was also part of a valve.

Yeah that sucks. Broke mine in correctly and a similar thing happened too. Got a new engine, so far so good.

And people in this forum called me paranoid and berated me for getting my “hemi tick” checked out at the dealer. Said it was hogwash….

My engine ticks. Loud at times especially when cold. Took it to the dealer and they said it was “completely normal”. We’ll see. The problems with these 392 Hemi’s are so well known there are dozens of forums and Youtube videos galore dedicated to them. Chrysler/Stellantis had their heads so far up their ass for the past few years and it shows. These Mexican 392’s are garbage. There I said it. Garbage. Treat it well, drive it like a 4 cylinder, maybe it will last 70k or 100k miles. Drive it like a V8 should be driven and you might just get a rod through the block or a lifter disintegrate or a cam shaft get fudged up. Hemi tick normal? That’s like saying your engine slowly being eaten away from the inside over time is “normal”. I plan to drive my 392 Wrangler very conservatively. Not race around. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Wrangler, but I’m realistic and know it’s a ticking timebomb.

And people in this forum called me paranoid and berated me for getting my “hemi tick” checked out at the dealer. Said it was hogwash….

My engine ticks. Loud at times especially when cold. Took it to the dealer and they said it was “completely normal”. We’ll see. The problems with these 392 Hemi’s are so well known there are dozens of forums and Youtube videos galore dedicated to them. Chrysler/Stellantis had their heads so far up their ass for the past few years and it shows. These Mexican 392’s are garbage. There I said it. Garbage. Treat it well, drive it like a 4 cylinder, maybe it will last 70k or 100k miles. Drive it like a V8 should be driven and you might just get a rod through the block or a lifter disintegrate or a cam shaft get fudged up. Hemi tick normal? That’s like saying your engine slowly being eaten away from the inside over time is “normal”. I plan to drive my 392 Wrangler very conservatively. Not race around. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Wrangler, but I’m realistic and know it’s a ticking timebomb.
I refuse to believe that these engines are garbage. They are in so many other vehicles. The Hemi seems like a reliable engine. Of course people with problems are going to post. These engines have to be made to be driven hard. Truck engines get worked super hard while towing. Guys race the Chargers and Challengers. Why on earth would you buy a 470hp V8 to drive it like a grandma. If they were ticking timebombs, I don't think people would buy them. Seems like a large company wouldn't sell them either if they were getting eaten alive in warranty claims. It is possible in 1 warranty engine replacement, they are no longer at a profit from this individual vehicle. Add to that the fact that Stellantis is penalized for selling these gas guzzlers in the first place.

I don't drive like a baboon, but I put the pedal to the metal whenever I want to and don't worry about the engine one bit. I would not be able to enjoy driving the heck out of it if I thought it was going to blow up. The warranty also gives me peace of mind that in the unlikely event of a problem, it will be fixed.

As an aside..... Not trying to argue about the reliability of the engine. It might very well be garbage. I just refuse to believe that it is garbage because mine runs like a sewing machine and I would not enjoy the vehicle if I was constantly having to baby it and worry about something breaking. When my stuff gets old enough that I am worried about it breaking, I usually get rid of it.

I sympathize with you HearHear......a loud tick would "tick" me off too. I would absolutely take it to the dealer, probably get an extended warranty, but I'd drive it as hard as I felt like it without worrying about it. Heck, I've even gotten rid of a vehicle due to a tick just because it bugged me. Could always sell it and get one that doesn't tick.

All I'm saying to all the folks out there enjoying their 392's.......Ignorance is bliss... MOST of them will not have problems. Continue to enjoy the beasts for what they are...............just a bundle of pure awesomeness.

Because you are paranoid and it is hogwash.
but I’m realistic and know it’s a ticking timebomb.
All engines have the potential to fail, the Hemis are as reliable as any other V8 in the industry with no inherent flaws. The Hemi Tick™ is normal and not an indication of impending failure.

I’ve been followin. I just turned 2k miles and dropped by the dealer yesterday as mine ticks loud for about 30 seconds when cold. Then seems better. May be my imagination but it seems to get longer Every mornin. The service advisor laughed and said drive it and we will check it a the first oil change. If we find an issue we will replace your engine That’s why it warranted and laughed again. Said if I wanted to leave it overnight I could. That would be a no no as no mechanic is gonna raise hell in my 90k Jeep but me. its not a game. I mean that’s good I guess but I did not spend 90 k to have a engine replaced or torn apart. Kinda scary actually

I have driven Hemis in all forms for my job, 5.7s, 6.4s, superchargerd 6.2s, in SUVs, in trucks, at race tracks and drag strip, off-road and towing. Every single one of them had a tick, and I never had an issue with any of them from a reliability standpoint. It sucks to get a bad one, but that doesn’t mean they are all that way. I have zero hesitation about trusting mine to go do the remote things I want to do.

—S

Because you are paranoid and it is hogwash.

All engines have the potential to fail, the Hemis are as reliable as any other V8 in the industry with no inherent flaws. The Hemi Tick™ is normal and not an indication of impending failure.
I appreciate this comment more than I can express.

Imagine how upset people would be if you were to inform them all current engines are hemispherical in design and MOPAR just happens to own the rights to the name “Hemi”? 🤓

As for the “tick”, for those who aren’t aware, it’s inherent in Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler, due to the lifter design. ✌🏼

I refuse to believe that these engines are garbage. They are in so many other vehicles. The Hemi seems like a reliable engine. Of course people with problems are going to post. These engines have to be made to be driven hard. Truck engines get worked super hard while towing. Guys race the Chargers and Challengers. Why on earth would you buy a 470hp V8 to drive it like a grandma. If they were ticking timebombs, I don't think people would buy them. Seems like a large company wouldn't sell them either if they were getting eaten alive in warranty claims. It is possible in 1 warranty engine replacement, they are no longer at a profit from this individual vehicle. Add to that the fact that Stellantis is penalized for selling these gas guzzlers in the first place.

I don't drive like a baboon, but I put the pedal to the metal whenever I want to and don't worry about the engine one bit. I would not be able to enjoy driving the heck out of it if I thought it was going to blow up. The warranty also gives me peace of mind that in the unlikely event of a problem, it will be fixed.

As an aside..... Not trying to argue about the reliability of the engine. It might very well be garbage. I just refuse to believe that it is garbage because mine runs like a sewing machine and I would not enjoy the vehicle if I was constantly having to baby it and worry about something breaking. When my stuff gets old enough that I am worried about it breaking, I usually get rid of it.

I sympathize with you HearHear......a loud tick would "tick" me off too. I would absolutely take it to the dealer, probably get an extended warranty, but I'd drive it as hard as I felt like it without worrying about it. Heck, I've even gotten rid of a vehicle due to a tick just because it bugged me. Could always sell it and get one that doesn't tick.

All I'm saying to all the folks out there enjoying their 392's.......Ignorance is bliss... MOST of them will not have problems. Continue to enjoy the beasts for what they are...............just a bundle of pure awesomeness.
I completely agree, although plenty of people complain of a tick noise actual failures seem extreamly rare and the 392 is a platform that takes a lot of owner abuse.
This jeep did not have any noises I would consider abnormal, well at least until that last 1000 feet.
To come appart at this low milage is likely simply a defective part or an assembly issue, eaither can and do happen no matter what engine, who built it or how it's driven.

Back